Food high in potassium but low in sugar? Any ideas?

Options
AprilTram
AprilTram Posts: 50 Member
Every time I try to go on a diet, the healthy way, I end up with major leg cramps (chalie horses) in the middle of the night. I have been told it's because I'm lacking potassium. Not sure if that's 100% true but I never do seem to hit my potassium mark. When im looking at food that's high in potassium I'm coming Across the problem of finding out that it's high in sugar as well. So I'm looking for any type of food high in potassium but low in sugar.. anybody have ideas?
Also I do drink lots of water, about 12 cups a day.. In fact that is all I drink is water..

Replies

• amielizabeth1
    amielizabeth1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bananas! Don't worry about the natural sugar in them.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers are both high in potassium and low in sugar...If you are having leg cramps...you should also be watching your sodium levels too. Are you diabetic?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Replace your table salt with Lo-Salt (I'm sure there's a US equivalent) which replaces some of the sodium chloride with potassium chloride. Runners often put a pinch in their sports drinks to prevent cramps.

Edit: After a quick Google it looks like Solo or AlsoSalt are the brand names of low-sodium salts over there.
  • eulila
    eulila Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    coconut water- be careful some of them add sugar

you can find it in the health food aisle
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Replace your table salt with Lo-Salt (I'm sure there's a US equivalent) which replaces some of the sodium chloride with potassium chloride. Runners often put a pinch in their sports drinks to prevent cramps.

Edit: After a quick Google it looks like Solo or AlsoSalt are the brand names of low-sodium salts over there.

You are exactly right...In the US...It's called Morton salt substitute (Potassium chloride) and is sold in every grocery store here.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Poooootatoes :D
  • AprilTram
    AprilTram Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers are both high in potassium and low in sugar...If you are having leg cramps...you should also be watching your sodium levels too. Are you diabetic?

I've been using cucumbers as my daily snacks for the past few days.. I was eating a banana every morning but notice those were high in sugar and making me go over my sugar count, so I cut back on them..

I've been told I was boarder line diabetic in the past but was never told to watch my sodium intake.. I know I don't use "table salt" at all, but I do use alot of seasonings that are high in sodium.. I'll lower my sodium and see if that helps as well.. :)
  • jeanninecurran
    jeanninecurran Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I alway tend to be low in potassium too. I used to get major leg cramps. The doc told me I needed more potassium and magnesium. I reached my potassium goal yesterday for first time. Look at my diary for July 1st. Grapes, bananas, Hood Simply Smart Fat free milk (had a ton of potassium), greens. You can also use potassium and magnesium supplements. I no longer get leg cramps
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind also, the US Food Code doesn't require potassium to be listed on nutrition labels, so just because you don't seem potassium in a food on your log, doesn't mean that food doesn't have potassium in it.
  • mmmfryingpan
    Options
    kiwis are only 46 calories
    low in sugar
    enough potassium as a banana
    and more vitamin C than an orange (120%)
    they also have a crap load of other vitamins and minerals
    and in some articles it has been said that it helps burn fat if u eat 2 of them before a workout

i loooove the kiwi!
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

I've been using cucumbers as my daily snacks for the past few days.. I was eating a banana every morning but notice those were high in sugar and making me go over my sugar count, so I cut back on them..

I've been told I was boarder line diabetic in the past but was never told to watch my sodium intake.. I know I don't use "table salt" at all, but I do use alot of seasonings that are high in sodium.. I'll lower my sodium and see if that helps as well.. :)

Also, watch your processed foods - tons of sodium. I also recommend bananas, and don't worry about the sugar (or eliminate sugar from someplace else). Do you take a multi-vitamin? Nature's Plus Source of LIfe are excellent, and their all natural, etc.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    kiwis are only 46 calories
    low in sugar
    enough potassium as a banana
    and more vitamin C than an orange (120%)
    they also have a crap load of other vitamins and minerals
    and in some articles it has been said that it helps burn fat if u eat 2 of them before a workout

i loooove the kiwi!

Kiwis definitely rock - I had no idea they had that much potassium.
  • victorianic
    victorianic Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Baked potato with the skin ON, you must eat the skin.
    Glucerna hunger smart shake.
    Healthy Choice Top Chef Chicken and Ravioli in a steamer bowl!
    Raisins in moderation, especially if you are diabetic.

Good luck, Vic
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Lots of vegetables.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind also, the US Food Code doesn't require potassium to be listed on nutrition labels, so just because you don't seem potassium in a food on your log, doesn't mean that food doesn't have potassium in it.

That is how it used to be. The new FDA label over-haul is now requiring potassium to be listed on nutrition labels.

OP...As far as potassium...potatoes, bananas, melons and citrus fruits are all good sources of the mineral. Muscle Milk Light actually has a good amount of potassium in it (660 mg) and pretty low in sugar (3g).
  • LovingLifeInCalifornia
    LovingLifeInCalifornia Posts: 9,362 Member
    Options
    White beans, spinach, avocados, and potatoes. Also mushrooms...
  • setee77
    setee77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Cracked wheat can be used in place of rice and such which is higher in potassium and lower in sugar.
  • BigTireFlipper
    BigTireFlipper Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Black strap molasses! As an ingredient in a recipe for faux soy sauce it's quite palatable. :) Which reminds me. It's about time I dug that out and made a batch again.