HIIT/Interval Running

2»

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    you actually will burn more calories doing HIIT than your regular runs. Your body is working extra hard bringing your heart rate up and down, thats how you burn more calories. I do 2 mt runs/2 mt walks and in 30 mts i burn more calories than a 50 mt run. good luck!

No, this is incorrect.
    Calories burned increases at very high intensity because of oxygen utilization and because the metabolic path being used is inefficient vs sub high intensity steady state. HR change does not, in of itself, increase metabolic energy consumption. It is a reflection of the oxygen need during exercise used by the Kreb's cycle, increase need of O2, increase burn and the need is reflected as the HR, because blood is the transport system for oxygen.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    you actually will burn more calories doing HIIT than your regular runs. Your body is working extra hard bringing your heart rate up and down, thats how you burn more calories. I do 2 mt runs/2 mt walks and in 30 mts i burn more calories than a 50 mt run. good luck!

No, this is incorrect.
    Calories burned increases at very high intensity because of oxygen utilization and because the metabolic path being used is inefficient vs sub high intensity steady state. HR change does not, in of itself, increase metabolic energy consumption. It is a reflection of the oxygen need during exercise used by the Kreb's cycle, increase need of O2, increase burn and the need is reflected as the HR, because blood is the transport system for oxygen.

I really wish I understood what you said! Can you dumb it down a little?

& I LOVE HIIT & I LOVE reading these posts where everyone is all yeah my sprint is 9 MPH and my recovery is 6 MPH I cannot wait to get there! You guys and ladies are so motivating! I HIIT it every time I run I warm up for 5 min at 3.5-3.8 MPH and run (Yes really) at 4-4.5 MPH I even did 5 MPH for a min. once! I thought I was going to fly off the treadmill and end up an internet meme but thank god I did not! but anyway loves thanks for the motivation!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    damn, for your first time, that is impressive.

some people use an app, and i do too. but sometimes, i like to go back to basics and just pick a landmark and run really really fast until i get there. then i jog it out until my breathing slows back down and do it again.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    I do intervals on the treadmill using an app, walking at 3.5 for one min, 15 sec and running at 7 for one min. I do a 5 minute warmup and shoot for 3 miles which for me ends up being about 16 intervals. Eventually I want to increase my running speed but I've really only been running regularly since Aug (did c25k) so it will take a while. Good luck.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    i second the zombies, run app. it's half price now so it's a good time to get it.

i used to do my sprint drills on the treadmill but moved it off. i think i get a far better workout off the treadmill on HIIT day. my muscles definitely burn !
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    I do interval training outside. I will walk, jog, then sprint between telephone poles for roughly 3 miles. Its awesome
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I think sprinting is a great way to improve your distance running. I used to run hills a lot and I used to play soccer. I think it strengthens your legs and increases your lung capacity in a way that plodding along at a slow, steady pace never does. Good work !
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    FWIW, I would limit the amount of actual sprinting and stick to your 60 sec intervals. It won't give you the same effects as the all-out sprinting, but it will improve your conditioning, improve your running performance, and ultimately allow you to burn more calories. You may not get quite the same afterburn as sprinting, but you will get a decent amount and you will burn a lot more calories during the workout. Going at 85%-90% for 45-90 sec intervals with a shorter recovery time can be a tough workout with a lot of benefits.
  • bump
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

No, this is incorrect.

I really wish I understood what you said! Can you dumb it down a little?

& I LOVE HIIT & I LOVE reading these posts where everyone is all yeah my sprint is 9 MPH and my recovery is 6 MPH I cannot wait to get there! You guys and ladies are so motivating! I HIIT it every time I run I warm up for 5 min at 3.5-3.8 MPH and run (Yes really) at 4-4.5 MPH I even did 5 MPH for a min. once! I thought I was going to fly off the treadmill and end up an internet meme but thank god I did not! but anyway loves thanks for the motivation!

Sorry. I'll give it a shot - I was waiting for a flight and in a rush. I'll answer the biology question because of my educational deformation (biomedical engineer / cell adhesion scientist) but I truly believe that it has little to do with exercise modes - do what works best in your head: HIIT and SS exercise both have benefits.

The increase in heart rate nor the change in heart rate does not burn more calories. It's the fact that we burn more calories that increases the heart rate.
    Steady state exercise: As you burn calories in steady state exercise you need oxygen mostly to convert that energy in the most efficiency way. More energy used = more oxygen needed to release energy = higher HR to get the blood flowing to deliver the needed oxygen.

HIIT: you max out the system described above and use more a metabolic path that is not dependent on oxygen (and that is inefficient) called Anaerobic Glycolysis. The use of this energy system burns calories beyond the oxygen and linear HR estimation. HRM take this into account and give you the higher burn at those intensities. However during HIIT you are also building lactate, using up a little protein and your body uses energy to clean things up. Hence HIIT also has an "afterburner" factor. But doing real high intensity effort is limited, if you can do it for more than 2 min, it is not HI. Basing the intensity by HR is not ideal, use perceived effort. 30 sec high effort interval is more than enough.

So it's not the change in HR that burns calories. It is the intensity of effort. Repeat bouts of HI effort dry out the cheap energy sources (called ATP-AT/CP) and make your body concentrate more on providing energy with a different system. In reality all 3/4 systems are always in use, it just depends on which one dominates. Using the less efficient ones also requires "clean up" and "replenishing" these are pluses in terms of energy use.

Having said that - HIIT is really excellent because a) it build endurance b) it requires present moment awareness and concentration on the moment makes it more enjoyable.

My suggestion is NOT to focus on the biology but do something that is enjoyable and that you do 2-4 times a week. Anyone telling you that one mode or other is just better without taking into consideration objectives, consistency, physical condition, availability, etc. is not giving good advice. Keep it simple - do what you like, do it, do it again.