Mice burn off fat after scientists delete a gene

Options
dbg1
dbg1 Posts: 208
5. Mice burn off fat after scientists delete a gene
By John Carroll Comment | Forward

Deleting the IKKE gene from mice allowed the animals to eat a diet rich in lard without gaining weight. And the researchers say the same approach has the potential to control weight in humans.
"We've studied other genes associated with obesity--we call them 'obesogenes'--but this is the first one we've found that, when deleted, stops the animal from gaining weight," senior study author Alan Saltiel, the Mary Sue Coleman Director of the University of Michigan Life Sciences Institute, said in a university news release.
Eliminating the IKKE gene apparently works by speeding the metabolism of mice, spurring them to burn more calories. "The knockout mice are not exercising any more than the control mice used in the study. They're just burning more energy," Saltiel said. "And in the process, they're generating a little heat, as well--their body temperature actually increases a bit."
- read the story from HealthDay News

This comes from FierceBiotech Research.

Now wouldn't that be cool for all of us!:smile:

Replies

• Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    No. Don't mess with my genetic makeup.
  • jewely82
    jewely82 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It would. However, I am also worried about what unintended consequences it might have. It just seems too easy. I'm sure something bad would come of it in the end.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Great...now the skinny mice will be able to fit through smaller holes and get in my house :laugh:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yeah - no. Leave the genes alone :smile: I'd rather do it this way :flowerforyou:
  • tubbytabbytales
    Options
    Great...now the skinny mice will be able to fit through smaller holes and get in my house :laugh:

HAHAHAHA
  • 135gratitude
    Options

Hahaha! I thought the same thing about our cottage!
    :tongue:
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    erm...that sounds a little scary, please dont touch my genetic make up lmao.....what happens if u cant gain weight and then u start losing extreme amounts and want to gain weight?.ahhhh thats scary and f'd lol it scarreeeeeees me that theyre even contemplating doing that! :sick:
  • Shelley130
    Options
    Sounds good except for the increase in body temp. I'm already hot and sweaty all the time!! I can't wait to be skinny and be the girl who always needs a sweater. At the moment I don't even wear a coat when it's snowing :tongue:
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :noway: Truthfully I don't think deleting a gene is good, God made us this way for a reason and we shouldn't mess with his wonderful creation!! :noway:
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    :noway: Truthfully I don't think deleting a gene is good, God made us this way for a reason and we shouldn't mess with his wonderful creation!! :noway:

AMEN TO THAT! :tongue:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

That was my thought too. :happy:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out how exactly they "delete" a gene..
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out how exactly they "delete" a gene..
    didnt u know.....we're all computers! :bigsmile: