I'm scared of the 4th of July!!!

Options
I am just starting this journey (again, sadly) and I'm SUPER nervous about the 4th. I am fortunate that my family will not be celebrating until Sunday the 8th, but it's still all food surrounding me. No alcohol served because we all live a long ways away from each other, thank goodness, but ohhhh!!! My auntie's brownies.... ahh.... I can hear them calling my name!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DANG IT! Any suggestions or fears you want to put out there?!??!?!

Replies

• EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah...I'm dreading it. I was looking forward to smoking a brisket and gorging it all down, along with corn, pie, and lotsa unhealthy stuff. Not to mention staying home, watching movies, playing video games, napping between meals...I can feel my arteries clogging just thinking about it.

Luckily, I've already signed up for my morning workout that day, so I plan to work my butt off before the festivities begin.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, just eat it in small portions. One day is not going to wreck your progress. :)
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, just eat it in small portions. One day is not going to wreck your progress. :)

This.

Food is going to be around. There are going to be holidays and birthdays and other celebrations. You need to learn how to navigate these events. So you can either bring your own food and not partake in the goodies (which I personally don't recommend, but some people do it), or look over what's available and make good choices. Go for fruits and veggies if they're available, go ahead and have a burger (but not three), have one dessert in a reasonable portion, or two in small portions. Drink water instead of soda or sweet tea or whatever they're having. And don't stress about it. It's one day.
  • lottieloves85
    lottieloves85 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Worrying about it won't help, just enjoy it! I'm off to a friend's bbq on Saturday, I know I'll want cake and meat and alcohol so I'm just going to be extra good Friday and Sunday and get a workout in Saturday morning before going, alternate booze with water and I'm gonna take some healthy turkey and veg kebabs so that I eat them instead of sticky glazed ribs! Haha xx
  • MsBallerinaBody
    Options
    yeah i've been thinking about not losing track on the 4th as well.
    i can already smell the scent of barbeques and all the goodies and smores later. but temptation must wait
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    One day wont ruin you.

But pick lower calorie options, move a lot, and most importantly, DON"T HANG AROUND NEAR THE FOOD :laugh: . That's my personal downfall. I stand near the spread and I keep taking bits and it adds up.
  • Smudar
    Smudar Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    One thing I have found that helps is telling myself I'll have whatever it is I have my eye on later (usually a brownie in my case). If I can keep telling myself this long enough all the huge delicious pieces will be gone and maybe the need to have one will pass or if I still want one I'll just have a small one.... or they may be all gone and problem solved ;)
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is this: don't let food have so much power over you. It's just food. It's not evil, it's not torturous, it's just food. You can choose to eat it or not, it's entirely within your power. It's ok to indulge in a treat sometimes, and it doesn't have to wreck your goals. You can log everything and make sure to leave room for your favorites (exercising to earn more calories if necessary), or you can log everything and not worry about your calorie goal, or you can skip logging for the day and try to make mindful choices. It's entirely up to you. The food is not in control here. YOU are. And since you're in control, you don't have anything to fear. Just go, enjoy, and be comforted by the knowledge that it's only one day and it cannot possibly destroy the work you've put in so far.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    THIS. Control of portions is the MAIN reason people are overweight and obese.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    It's one 4th July.

If you can let your hair down, enjoy the day, and get straight back onto the weight loss/health improvement have the day.

If you cannot let your hair down, and get back straight back onto it be strict and enjoy the many more 4th of July's you are likely to have by improving your health.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    There are only a few big foodie parties each year. You could absolutely fill your face at all of them and still remain in a downward weight loss trend so long as the time inbetween is spent well. Find some of the more experienced folks on here - the ones who have 1000's of posts and have lost a LOT of weight I mean - and you'll often find that they have a built in cheat day once a month or even once a week. There's nothing unhealthy about going to a party and enjoying yourself for a day, it only becomes unhealthy if it becomes habit. Eat a brownie, watch the fireworks and have a blast!
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    IT'S ONE DAY, PEOPLE!!! It's OK to splurge now and again. It's OK to eat that brownie, just don't eat 6 of them. It's OK to have a few drinks, just don't do it every day. I just celebrated this past weekend (Rhythm & Booms in Madison, WI), and I was over Saturday and Sunday. I'll wait a few cays to step on the scale, but if I go up so be it. If not, yippy! Either way, I refuse to spend the rest of my life hiding from food.
  • jenkidney
    jenkidney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've already decided that I'm getting up and hitting the gym first thing in the morning, then I'm allowing myself to have what I want. I plan to keep the portions under control, but I'm not denying myself anything and if I go over - I go over. One day won't ruin me, especially since I won't be thousands of calories over.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Just to add: Every major "food" holiday I attend, I make sure that I go out and BUST MY *kitten* at the gym before attending. Helps to balance out the splurge.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Not only just 4th of July, also my birthday. So I simply must not care about, what I eat that day. "Bad food" everywhere, but like someone said before. There a not many of these day in a year, so I enjoy it, and get back on track the next day.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm scared because it's my birthday week...they brought in bagels and muffins to work this morning to celebrate. And then tomorrow night, going to a club (and you KNOW what that means!). I can only hope I burn some serious calories dancing!!
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Free day!!!! and start again the next day, just drink plenty of water! :wink:
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    One day isn't going to ruin your new eating style. I always give myself one day a week where I cheat and eat what ever I want to. Just make sure that you use portion control.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I'm British but its my wedding anniversary so I'll be joining in the celebration food & drinks.

Have fun and as has been said you need to be able to do these things once in a while, just get straight back on track the next day and plan in advance - maybe an extra workout to afford you another slice of pie.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I personally dont have a cheat day but I eat whats there in moderation or in "adjustment" I was out yesterday it was hot and when I went to get some cold water there was some good loooking banana bread scanned the pkg it was 445 calories for the piece I ate it but trimmed a little off my afternoon snack trimmed off desert after dinner and came up about 56 over cals after workout " no harm no foul " life goes on you have to be able to live the rest of your life to keep this worthwhile