Losing weight bad for fashion--what do you do?

Options
My fashionable friends, what do you do when you're losing weight, on a strict financial budget, and all of your clothes are too big? I don't have the money to buy a whole new wardrobe with each size, and I don't want to, because I don't plan on being at these sizes for very long--I have a lot of weight left to lose.

I'm starting to look frumpy, which is a huge bummer, because who doesn't like to look cute or at the very least socially presentable? :) I've gone from hating to be in my workout gear because I was so uncomfortable, to now only being comfortable in my workout clothes (because they fit!), with no make up on, sweating my butt off.

What do you guys do about the clothes thing??

Replies

• lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have decided to not care temporarily, buy clothes only from clearance, and start saving for a HUUUUUUUUGE shopping spree when I reach my goal. That way the transformation is even more dramatic!!
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I am running into the same issue. I feel like a hobo in my own clothes that were too tight in March! I definitely don't have the funds for better clothes, and I know that soon I will (hopefully) not be able to keep my britches up anymore. If you have thrift stores in the area, I would start there. Maybe buy a few pairs of pants (shorts?) and shirts. I wouldn't go crazy. You could certainly spend less than $20 on some decent clothes to take you through until your next purchase time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    Lol, I LOVE my gym clothes! I'd rather wear them than anything else. Of course my wife thinks that I underdress for just about every occasion we go out. I stopped being fashionable years ago when I quit a job where I had to wear a suit and tie each day. Honestly it feels great to me to not have to wear certain clothing to set an impression. But that's me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I would try resale shops, goodwill stores or some to that nature and garage sales. I've got size 12/14 in my garage I want to sell!
  • MsBallerinaBody
    Options
    i ran into that trouble as well. it was the greatest problem! i had a grin on my face because they were too big :)
    i went and got few tops and couple pants which were 2 sizes small! :) YAY
    and i plan to do the same when these (some are tight fitting) ones get too big :)
    once i reach my goal, i'll be shopping... fo sho :)
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Garage sales and 2nd hand stores. You might also try craigslist.
  • MadeInDR022
    MadeInDR022 Posts: 260
    Options
    I would try resale shops, goodwill stores or some to that nature and garage sales. I've got size 12/14 in my garage I want to sell!

^^THIS!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Check out local thrift/second hand stores. Sometimes you can find really cute clothes for really cheap! And even if they're only moderately cute, you won't be wearing them for too long, right? :wink:
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    buy off of ebay, buy at goodwill or other used clothing stores :tongue:
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Ebay. sell your old clothes and buy some new ones
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I buy and sell a lot of my clothes on eBay. If they're a brand name like J.Crew or Gap or Banana Republic you can get a decent price and decent wear. It's just like shopping/selling at the goodwill or a consignment shop without the fees.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    You can alter some clothing with minimal sewing skills, or in some cases, no sewing at all. Use a cute brooch or clip to gather a too-baggy top. Just gather the fabric at the waist in the back and clip. You can use safety pins to make waist bands smaller. Fold the fabric to the inside and pin.

Skirts and dresses are your friend right now. They're easy to alter, and with a dress you can put a belt on it and get more mileage out of it.
  • teinepalagi
    teinepalagi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have always shopped at Goodwill and resale shops. And my closet is full of Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, and Armani exchange. I think you'd be surprised what kind of really nice clothes they have there. And I tend to buy things and then they sit in my closet for some reason....slightly too short, didn't quite match what I was thinking it would. Then I don't feel so bad donating it back to Goodwill (and getting a tax deduction).

Good luck!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    thrift stores, or other consignment shops. Hopefully you can trade in some fat clothes for new size clothes along the way! Other places like TJmaxx or ross are good too for finding nice looking clothes on the cheap.
  • scunningham2012
    scunningham2012 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Garage sales and goodwill stores (or thrift stores) are also really good places to find clothes. When you spend like $100 on a pair of jeans you can usually get 3-4 outfits for $100 at a thrift store. The only thing is you have to look, really hard, to find something cute.

If you're the creative type you could always try sewing or cutting your clothes to make them smaller. I.E. - the girls that cut the sides of their shirts then tie up the sides and wear tank tops under them during the summer time.

But, I rarely buy my clothes at full price I always head for the sale section because I'm not up to the minute fashion type of girl. I'll wear last years collection and still rock it like it was new! That and I hate spending $100 on a pair of jeans. The only time I will is when I lose all my weight!
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i bought a few new clothes at the halfway point because that was the point where i was beginning to look like a deflated balloon in my clothes. when i finished the diet, that's when i got the new wardrobe. in between, i used a lot of belts, lol.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Don't buy anything at full price until you reach your goal. I shopped a bit this weekend because I am about to go on vacation, but I hit the clearance racks. I won't buy anything thing at sticker price until I reach my goal weight.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Summer dresses can get you through for a few months as they're not as form fitting. You can wear them into fall with a cardigan and tights, too.
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores, Goodwill, Ebay, Clearance racks. I go to Goodwill the first Saturday of every month (sometimes). Everything in the store is 1/2 off that day. But even when I was heavier, I shopped like that, it is just easier to find things that fit me now.
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Waist Belts, Dresses and Blazers cover all manner of sins... not to mention a killer pair of shoes to distract from any frumpy bits

If all else fails - hit the charity shops of vintage markets if you have them in the states.