leaving for vacation tom. so excited/nervous!

Options
Hey everyone! I keave tomorrow for Destin, Fl. Im so excited! I love going to Destin... one of my fav parts is the wonderful seafood... and i mean the FRIED seafood lol! I plan on going to the gym basically everyday and hope to only eat one big meal a day (dinner) and not to much during the day... should I switch to maintenance? I need opinions! thanks all!

Replies

• takechances
    Options
    Girl, you're on VACATION.
    How about just taking the time off? I assume that you'll be running around and spending a lot of time outside, so don't worry about going to the gym. Enjoy yourself.
  • smeltzer3
    smeltzer3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it is more about how much of those fried shrimp you eat..lol Just don't over do it and have a great time. Walking in that sand is a total workout in itself!
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    We leave Saturday for a week vacation, Gulf Shores, AL... CAN'T WAIT! I'm planning on packing a bunch of foods that I normally eat, my list is crazy. We're celebrating my husbands birthday while we are there so I know there will be sweets at least one day while we are there, The place were staying has a full kitchen so I'm really not that worried about food. I'm going to hit the grocery store when we get there and load up on fresh fruit and veggies (great beach snacks!) and cut them up the night before so that they are ready to go the next morning when we head out. As far as lunches and dinners I'm going to try and stick close to what I do here at home. I know we'll be eating out, but I do that here too - so again, its all about moderation. If you go out and eat a huge fried dinner, you didn't sabotage yourself, just make sure you go on an extra long walk or something that evening. I would try to stick to your maintenance calories one days you eat out and your regular calories for weight loss the rest of the time. I'm going to try not to be obsessed but you can make better choices, try grilled or steamed seafood rather than fried... GOOD LUCK!
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    We leave for vacation in two weeks and I am really worried about the same thing. Everyone always posts "don't worry, you're on vacation", but you can undo a lot of hard work thinking that way on an extended vacation! Personally, I think I'm going to set myself to maintenance while away and stay within that range. It'll be a nice break from a fairly restrictive calorie goal, but as long as I stay within that maintenance goals I should hold steady and not undo weeks/months of hard work!

Good luck to you, OP, and let us know how it works out!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    In 1.5 weeks my family and I will be on DISNEY CRUISE!!! Can't wait! Hitting the Carribean this time around (never been) and I'll do what I did the last 2 times we went...................workout at 6am.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Ashly744
    Ashly744 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I leave for vacation at the end up the week and there's no gym that I can use around me. I will have to do any workouts outside, or bring my workout videos.I haven't figured out the food situation yet. :) Enjoy yourself and have a treat, but you know your own limit. If you're prepared to work it off, than go for it! I on the other hang am not prepared to work it off so I will be good, with a couple treats here and there. :)
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I have found that when on vacation what I really desire is the taste of the food. I allow myself a small portion and I am usually satisfied. If I don't eat any then I feel punished. But large salads and small portions of the "nasty" stuff gets me through. It is that dark thick ale that I seem to find I can't resist.

Have a great time and enjoy.
  • gobunkos
    gobunkos Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As long as you hit it hard when you get back I believe you should enjoy yourself. Try not to overdo it and maybe eat a salad before the main course. Take your leftovers (most hotels have fridges & microwaves these days!!!)
  • dcjackson50
    dcjackson50 Posts: 196
    Options
    I leave tomorrow as well for a much needed vacation. Fortunately for me we are headed up to Northern Michigan, (Traverse City) and our resport has a gym/spa.
    We actually chose this trip to get outside and are bringing our bikes to ride the scenic routes around Lake Michigan. I excpect to get plenty of excercise and have very active long days outside. Really excited as my husband and I have never been up north.

As a word of advice, it is vacation but remember,.....everything in moderation. I was really disheartened last month when I went away for a three day trip and figured I would not worry about eating or tracking cals etc. I gained 4 pounds !~!! Haven't lost them yet. I think since eating out at restaurants is more likely on vacation, a gain of 1-2 pounds due to sodium is normal so don't stress too much,......but remember that eating healthy is a lifestyle change and don't throw it all out the window for a few days or a week, just to regret it later.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I like the FL panhandle, too. Eat what you like, but limit your portions. Since you've been on MFP since January, you're no longer used to pigging out, and it would probably cause stomach distress. Your body has changed and probably won't like processing large amounts of food. Do yourself a favor and keep your food intake within healthy limits. Enjoy the sun and fun! :flowerforyou:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I have been on vacation for almost 5 weeks. A road trip that for more than 3 weeks meant to eat out every single meal. Exercise, except for walking, has been almost non-existent, and all my clothes fit the same. I am on maintenance, so losing weight was not my goal.

I am more flabby that when I left home, but going back to the gym when I get back home will solve the problem. I logged everything every day, even if the numbers were estimated, and I was mindful of my food choices and portion control. I kept myself accountable. Above all, I enjoyed the vacation, so enjoy yours!!

This is life!!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    It's ok to have a few "vacation" foods, things you wouldn't normally eat ..... just make sure you also have plenty of veggies & fruit & more water than booze LOL ...... and ideally you'll be walking & moving around a lot !

I went to Martha's Vineyard one September to see my daughter ...... we went to a seafood restaurant and I asked for some veggies with my meal ..... they brought out freaking FRIED broccoli ..... I mean, really ?????

Anyway ...... hope you have a fabulous time :drinker:
  • HornsUT32
    HornsUT32 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I keave tomorrow for Destin, Fl. Im so excited! I love going to Destin... one of my fav parts is the wonderful seafood... and i mean the FRIED seafood lol! I plan on going to the gym basically everyday and hope to only eat one big meal a day (dinner) and not to much during the day... should I switch to maintenance? I need opinions! thanks all!

I am going to Destin on Friday too!! I was going to track all of my food and try and eat 1,200 calories, and then I decided NO! I am going to enjoy it, be (somewhat) responsible about what I eat, and workout a lot. I love working out anyhow, so that is a good thing. I figure there will be a few nights were I drink all of my calories haha, so I am not going to worry about it. I will hit it hard when I get home.
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    I have been on vacation for almost 5 weeks. A road trip that for more than 3 weeks meant to eat out every single meal. Exercise, except for walking, has been almost non-existent, and all my clothes fit the same. I am on maintenance, so losing weight was not my goal.

I am more flabby that when I left home, but going back to the gym when I get back home will solve the problem. I logged everything every day, even if the numbers were estimated, and I was mindful of my food choices and portion control. I kept myself accountable. Above all, I enjoyed the vacation, so enjoy yours!!

This is life!!
    Not to hijack a thread, but THANK YOU for posting this! I'm headed out for an extended road trip and plan on logging. I'm so glad to hear about your success.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    go to the store grab fruits and veggies to snack on! try to order the grilled option and your last day feast for dinner. Trust me its not worth it.
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I leave for vacation tomorrow also and I am not logging in any food for the time I am gone, but will be working out (running/walking) and doing body weight workouts. I am on vacation, it's a lifestyle change and not a diet, so there is things that I will eat, but as long as I can do some type of workout to burn it off, then it's all good.

Have fun!!!
  • ktbug1186
    ktbug1186 Posts: 266
    Options
    When I went to panama city last year, they had a gym that overlooked the beach/ocean. Every morning I would wake up early, and throw on my gym clothes and would so be looking forward to it!! It was SO relaxing and soothing, I can't wait to be on vacation to see it again, lol! I would just hit the gym/ beach every morning and then have maybe just one big dinner every night and watch what you eat other wise :D
  • kellymccrea1
    kellymccrea1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    In 1.5 weeks my family and I will be on DISNEY CRUISE!!! Can't wait! Hitting the Carribean this time around (never been) and I'll do what I did the last 2 times we went...................workout at 6am.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Have FUN! The Caribbean is my absolute favorite place in the world. It will spoil you for all other beaches!!!
  • HausfrauB
    HausfrauB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone has a fun and relaxing time on vacation! :)

We are taking our belated honeymoon to southern Italy. I'm going through Atkins induction (my 40-carb limit way) to wean myself from my higher-than-desired carb ingestion. I'll be finishing it next week and I hope it helps curb my desire for fresh-made pasta and pizza and gives me the appetite for more fish. :)

I totally caved today and bought coconut flour and wheat germ because my body was screaming for fiber. I know I'm doing a good job of carb-cutting when the thought of a rock-hard bran muffin makes me drool. lol.

Again, I wish you all safe and wonderful holidays!