Hi - My story and looking for friends here

Hi – I’m new here and still taking me sweet time to set up my profile and page.

A little introduction; I’m 24 and have severe PCOS. As a late teenage and in my early twenties I was always very slim (seven and a half stone no matter what I ate, 5’2”). Then about two years ago everything changed. My body went through a series of hormone fluctuations and all the symptoms associated, and within 6 months I put on 3 stone. I became depressed and but on various treatments that never really made anything better, if anything, worse. Finally, I was diagnosed with PCOS. This helped me at least attribute it to something, and helped me to get over a lot of the upset and start really researching what it is that is happening with my body.

I have read that PCOS is aggravated by unstable insulin levels (similar, but not as serious, to Type 2 Diabetes) and fat levels, as such I am on my way to trying to lose some of the weight I put on, getting healthy and getting back on track. It’s a slow process as I have years of unhealthy eating ingrained in me, but I’m hoping that between myfitnesspal.com and a series of blogs I started contributing to, I can focus and start making positive changes!

If you would like to add me feel free, especially if you are from the UK or Kent! But it doesnt have to be: I'd love to know what other people are doing and if its successful for them. Plus I could use the motivation that comes with it.

Chelsea x

Replies

• third_time_lucky
    third_time_lucky Posts: 103 Member
    hi, im new here today aswell
    im 5'1.5 but i like to round up haha it sounds like we have simular weight also, shall send a friend request, be good to both have some support :)
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    I have PCOS as well. It has been a rough journey for me. I accepted my weight gain for years until the doctor told me that I was too heavy to get pregnant (due to the aggravated PCOS). She told me that if I can lose 50 pounds by December, then she will put me on fertility meds (if I need them). I've lost 36 pounds since March due to a modified diabetic diet (and lots of exercise!) and I'm already ovulating again, but I want to get down to a more acceptable weight that will make pregnancy not only possible, but safe for me and the baby.

The biggest problem for me with PCOS was how alone I felt. I had never heard of it before, and didn't know anything about it. My friends and family were lost, too. I would try to explain everything and they didn't understand how my insulin could be related to infertility and male pattern hair growth and weight gain. If you have any questions about great meal substitutions to help accelerate your weight loss and deal with insulin resistance, let me know! I don't do diet pills or meal replacement. I try to eat naturally, and lots of veggies.
  • PCOSdiary
    PCOSdiary Posts: 4
    That would be really useful! Thanks! I might look at your food diary to get some ideas.

Generally the response has been very similar to yours, with people not understanding how insulin can affect fertility so much. I’m a few years away from trying for a baby and I’m hoping I can get a handle on things before it comes to trying, which was partly my motivation to start making DRASTIC changes.

Best of luck, and thank you 
  • Hi, i have PCOS was diagnosed in my early 20's...its been a hard journey but i have managed to lose 4 and a half stone and am finally in a healthy weight bracket ...so if you need any support feel free to add me x
  • mamato3babies
    mamato3babies Posts: 73 Member
    I am not sure what PCOS is, but I am here to be supportive and have conversations. Best wishes
  • mamato3babies
    mamato3babies Posts: 73 Member
    I am not sure what PCOS is, but I am here to be supportive and have conversations. Best wishes
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    That would be really useful! Thanks! I might look at your food diary to get some ideas.

Generally the response has been very similar to yours, with people not understanding how insulin can affect fertility so much. I’m a few years away from trying for a baby and I’m hoping I can get a handle on things before it comes to trying, which was partly my motivation to start making DRASTIC changes.

Best of luck, and thank you 

I don't track my food on here. I have a good reason though. I don't count calories. I used to track food on here but the problem is that I would always be over my calorie goal, and then I would feel like crap, and then I would say "screw it" the next day or later on because I felt like I failed. I do log food on my computer, on a chart that is colorized by food group, and this helps me better track my fruits, vegetables, grains, meats, and dairy choices. Doing it this way has really accelerated my weight loss. My doctor has me on Metformin for insulin resistance. Are you being medicated for PCOS?