Couch to 5K? Anyone wanna try it too?

Options

Replies

• dfharper86
    dfharper86 Posts: 11
    Options
    I am looking into this...sounds fun! I also have always wanted to say I RAN a 5K. I did participate in a 5K once but I walked the whole time so that doesn't count! I want to say I actually did run a 5K!
  • berlynn_j
    berlynn_j Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is Week 5 Day 2! So excited to get up and go running in the morning. I truly look forward to it now, never thought I would say that! Hope everyone else is doing great!
  • weightloss06
    Options
    Hi there, i have just finished week one and can't believe how much i enjoyed it. I have never been able to run before. Bring on next week i say. Good luck to everyone trying it!!!!
  • LindaLou0802
    LindaLou0802 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just looked into C25K yesterday and am excited to start it, but will wait until Monday. I want to do M, W, F, since the program I am following suggests 3 days per week. I signed myself up for a 5K mud run at the end of September, so I want to have more stamina for running by then. I have never enjoyed running, but can walk a lot. I am hoping this will help me learn to love running. Only bad part is I will have to get up in the dark to run, as it is too hot and humid outside down here right now...not a morning person, but have to do it!
  • randisimplified
    Options
    I'm using the same app - just started today. So far so good! Good luck to you!
  • berlynn_j
    Options
    Ran 6, walked 5, ran 6, walked 5 today. This is week 5 for me, and the first time I will be running 4 days a week. I'm thinking I need some new shoes (properly broken in of course before I start running in them full time), because my old sneakers are not holding up. Anyone have any suggestions on a GREAT pair of running shoes? Never bought any before, and I'm willing to put some money into it. I know I have to try them on, see what fits, and all that. But I know next to nothing about it running shoes, so any advice would be great!
  • randisimplified
    Options
    Found an app for Droid... Active's Couch to 5K. It's for very beginners, like me. I don't think I've run since high school and that's been 16 years now. I'm quite overweight (need to drop about 70 pounds) but dammit, I jogged last night!! Charlotte and I made it through the first programmed workout. The poor dog came home and flopped on the floor. I felt great! My excuse for years was that I couldn't run because of my knees. So, I researched "excersice for bad knees" or something like that and ended up on a discussion board where they were saying that it's usually form and not the person's knees. So, even when walking around at work, I've been focusing on my form and it really didn't hurt to jog last night. Yay!! Small victories. I'm surprisingly pumped about this 5K program and hope to see it through. The one I downloaded will be 9-weeks long. I think that's a reasonable commitment!

I'm using the same app - just started today. So far so good! Good luck to you!
  • wvwinner
    wvwinner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am starting W4 D1 tomorrow and I cannot wait!! I'm supposed to alternate with a combination of 3 and 5 minutes of running with walking. I've already pushed myself to run for 6 minutes straight at the end of all my week 3 workouts so I think I'll be all set for week 4. I am sill finding it slightly tough but I can already feel the difference in my cardio. I had a hard time running for a minute straight and now I can run for 6!!!! I am counting down the days until I can run for 30 minutes straight. It will be an amazing accomplishment. Feel free to friend me if you need some motivation. I know I can always use some :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I did Day 1 for the second time last night. I still couldn't finish it, but I will get there.

As far as "beating the heat" in this drought, I'm not running outside at all. I am running in place in my air-conditioned bedroom while listening to the radio. I just set a timer to know when to switch between jogging and walking. When I walk, I tend to go in circles, but when I jog, I stay in the same spot.
  • BekahLuv
    BekahLuv Posts: 164
    Options
    I'm signed up for the 5K Run For Your Lives in September... can't wait!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Both my wife and I are graduates of the c25k program. it's a really great way to get into running. I wish all of you the best of luck. Let me throw out some random bits of advice in the hopes that they help someone:

1) Lots of people complaining about blisters and/or sore feet. Good shoes are a wonderful thing! I highly recommend finding a local running specialty store and getting fitted by someone who knows what they're doing. Good shoes aren't cheap, but they're worth it. in addition to helping with normal blisters and sore feet problems, the right shoes can help prevent a lot of uncomfortable running stress injuries like shin splints and plantar faciitis. I developed the later when I first started running again nearly a year ago. It's painful and the only way to treat it is to cut back on your running (the last thing you want to do). Also look into one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Foot-Massage-Great-Backs-Hands/dp/B002QEY6NK they're cheap and feel great on sore feet.

2) It's a great idea to register for a race around the time that you expect to finish the program. You won't win, you probably won't even finish in the top half of the pack... That's not the point. Races are a great motivator because they give you goal. Plus once you have PR (personal record) you have a new goal every time you race: "Beat my old PR". Usually at least part of your entry fee goes to a good cause, and you get a t-shirt and bragging rights too.

3) Don't be afraid to repeat a week if you don't feel like you were ready for it, or aren't ready for the next week. The process is pretty gradual until about week 6, then you quickly start losing your walk breaks. I repeat week 6 twice and my wife repeated weeks 6 and 8. There's no huge hurry to finish. If you've already scheduled a race and you aren't quite done yet, just walk as much as you need to in the race, and you'll improve next time.

BekahLuv: I did the Boston Run For Your Lives this year. It's brutal, in a really fun way. I recommend doing more than just running to prepare. There's obstacles, the course is usually muddy as Hell, and you spend a lot of time dodging and doing short sprints to avoid the zombies. Do some sprints, squats, and some upper body work to get ready.
  • berlynn_j
    Options
    I ran the Run For Lives, the very first in in Maryland last year. I say run, but not really. I did have the time of my life though and managed to finish alive (with one flag left). I did do it with no training, never having run. It took me a little over an hour. I was pretty happy with that with no training, due to the fact that I crossed a river pulling myself on a rope, climbed down and up a hill where I had to use my hands to get up as it was so steep (also it rained the day before so it was incredibly muddy and slippery). I would suggest training for it not to feel so exhausted and give out, but I was by far not the only one walking with short sprints of running through some of the rather aggressive zombies. :) I say go for it. I am starting the couch to 5k because I really want to be able to run with endurance. I'm hoping to run a few 5ks in October, and then headed to the color run and hopefully warrior dash!
  • berlynn_j
    Options
    Getting ready to go out running. I'm loving the sunshine. Today I walk for 5, run for 10, and walk for 5. Anybody else running today? Hope you have a fabulous time! :)
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm actually using the Couch 2 k K app on my ipod =) Today is day number two!
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Maybe it can be possible for non runners to start loving and looking forward to running.

^^ It is possible .. I am living proof!!!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    C25K graduate chiming in...

Prior to starting it last year, I was never a runner in my life and despite being in decent shape I couldn't run any kind of distance to save my life.

I can happily run 3.1 with ease now and I am now working on longer distances. I've also developed nice runners legs. :drinker:

It's a great program that works - good luck to all of you!
  • Bxwarren13
    Bxwarren13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I "graduated" from the C25k a couple weeks ago and it's been amazing! The program I used was from Cool Running I think but weeks 4 and 5 were the hardest. Knowing that was when most people dropped out pushed me harder! Good luck everyone, this is a solid program to follow to get running incorporated in your life! :)
  • HannahsReturnToFitness
    Options
    I started couch to 5k four days ago. I really like it and I normally hate running. I found a pod cast that had music I like so that helps. Mine is a little different, I am on week 1 supposed to run 3 days a week but I am shooting for 5-6 days a week. It is 5 minutes of brisk walking, 60 seconds running/jogging, 90 seconds of recovery walking, repeated over 20 minutes then ending with a 5 minute cool down.

I started couch to 5k. I am doing the last day of week 1 tomorrow. I found a podcast too which is for the same lengths of time as stated here. I found mine on the NHS website. I'm keeping a blog on here of my progress!
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I started on the couch to 5k about a year back or so. The program is a complete success because I have never stopped running. I am now signed up to do my first marathon in October. I cannot stress enough how excellent this program is to work with.