Trouble reaching protein amount

Options
ivikatasha
ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
Alright so I am the poor college student, blah, blah. I have read the threads here on cheap protein. I was thinking about supplementing those days in which I just seem to be really under my protein goal with protein powder. Like the body fortress stuff from wal-mart. I wouldn't be doing this everyday, on days I eat chicken I have no trouble with protein. I can't eat chicken everyday however! I wish chobani greek yogurt was cheaper...

Yes I eat eggs, canned salmon/tuna, peanut butter, milk, cheese. Haven't really done much with beans.... never liked them too much in the past, I should give them another shot.

I am a complete newb when it comes to protein powders though, so I am looking for advice on that. Thanks!

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with supplementing your protein intake with a protein powder every now and then, providing you have the rest of your diet in check.

You are eating all the right things by the sound of it, although I would say purely as a source of protein, peanut butter is not a great choice. You have to eat a lot of it to get a decent serving of protein, which can play havoc with your other macros considering the fat content.
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder after my workouts with greek yogurt. I've tried different kinds. Chocolate was ok. Strawberry was terrible. I prefer plain protein powder. I cannot stomach it with just water. It has to be a smoothie. Take a look at my diary for protein. I try to eat protein at every meal.