Unexpected NSV - heat tolerance

Options
Mexie1
Mexie1 Posts: 48 Member
I've always struggled with heat, even at my slimmest - I live in the UK and find anything over 26-27C (~80F) quite uncomfortable, 30+ (86F) is horrible. I know that's low to most Americans but I am really not used to it.

The heat on holiday has always been a big problem for me. It makes me really irritable, I struggle walking about in the daytime, and I constantly feel like I'm going to faint. I have actually passed out from the heat several times in Ibiza and Jamaica. I avoid certain places (e.g. the middle east) and certain times of year because I just would not be able to cope.

Last week I was on holiday in Croatia and it was 30+ all the time and up to 37 (99F). Normally at that temperature range I would have to skulk indoors all day and would be unable to sleep, really uncomfortable and not able to properly enjoy myself.

This time I was walking around in the sun all day and feeling fine, sleeping in a non-air conditioned room and actually spent more than an hour on the beach.

I am amazed how much better I was able to tolerate the heat and all I can put it down to is working out regularly in a hot, sweaty gym. This is great motivation for me to keep going because being too hot has always put a downer on my holidays.

Replies

• BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Congrats on this great even if unexpected NSV!!! WooHoo!

I can totally relate because I use to get heat induced migraines even as well as just be overheated and miserable. Generally I could tolerate temps into the low 90s, but once the temps got into the upper 90s or over 100 like they have been here for the past week, I would be sick if I were out for any length of time.
    After having lost weight now, I no longer have the heat induced migraines and actually have been tolerating the heat very well this summer. I can walk and bike outside, do lawn work, watch my daughter's ballgames and participate in other outdoor activities and not get overheated and end up sick with a migraine.

WooHoo for being able to tolerate the hot weather!
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Great for you - I kinda hope my heat intolerance will get better, but as I get older it has gotten worse (And I live in the US - this current streak of 100 degrees is killing me). Plus, I sunburn so fast, even with sunblock, it's crazy. I've had heat exhaustion before, as well as sun poisoning.... both are horrible!

So for now, I shall hope it will get better, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on this NSV! I have to say that I am the opposite--I hate the cold weather WITH A PASSION! But, it is difficult to get outside and exercise when the temperature and humidity are high. I ran 2 1/2 miles this morning when the temperature was already 84 degrees, and the humidity was around 77% (dew point over 70 degrees). Thankfully, there was a breeze on three sides of the track I run on, but honestly, I'd prefer to to run when the temperatures are under 75. Unfortunately, our morning lows aren't even below 75, so I'm very thankful that I'm acclimated to the heat. That said, I think it's shower time...
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing! Glad to see it on a board! I've lost 13 pounds, and I can't believe the difference it has made with the 100+ degree heat. Last year with these temps, I was wilting. This year, I am uncomfortable, but I can last a lot longer. Amazing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!