running?

Options
I want to start running. I'm not sure how to work up to it? I elready am quite fit I bike and walk and do pilates etc. I've tried to jog/run on my walks but my lungs BURN! Any suggestions would rock!

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    look up couch to 5K on google. It's a great program for beginner runners.
  • jeterbeater
    Options
    Try the couch to 5k program
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    There is also a great beginners program on runnersworld.com
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I agree with the others. Couch to 5k! I was almost through it when I messed up my ankle crashing a bike! You can find a podcast on itunes. Robert Utley (I think that's his name) put it set to music. I love it!!
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    I was gone ask the same question..I want to start running...Im :happy: going to check out those links right now:flowerforyou:
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I started slowly...doing 1/4 miles at a time, then walking 1/4 mile for 2 miles, then i would run 1 mile and walk 1 mile...i just worked my way up, doing more as i could...i started in 2006....hurt my knee in 2008, so the running stopped and i biked alot, but this year i did my first 1/2 marathon! Running gets very addictive!!!! Good Luck!
  • Sadier
    Options
    look up couch to 5K on google. It's a great program for beginner runners.

I agree, love the program they suggest!
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I want to start running. I'm not sure how to work up to it? I elready am quite fit I bike and walk and do pilates etc. I've tried to jog/run on my walks but my lungs BURN! Any suggestions would rock!

Love the couch to 5k
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Throwing in my support for the c25k program. My daughter got me involved with it and I love it!
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    the couch to 5k program is awesome I'm on the second week, I weigh over 200 lbs and used to smoke and it makes it easy to work up to running longer. The site is www.coolrunning.com