a bit of guidance please?

Options
okay, so i started my 'fitness' routine a week last Friday, I started at 95 kg, and over the course of weigh ins this past week I have added pounds then lost them, and as it stands as of today I'm weighing in at 95.8 kg, not impressed! my bmr is 1766.5 per day but only having an intake of 1200 per day with burning around 300-400 calories giving me a total of 800 per day, so I have upped my calorie intake to 1500 do I need to keep to this even when doing exercise? so if I burn 400 I need to eat 400 in order to stay at 1500 per day? is 1500 enough? help please!

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath. When starting a new exercise regimen, it is common to see the scale number go up slightly because your muscles retain water to heal as they adjust. It can also be a fluke caused by eating more sodium than usual, eating more food by weight than usual, menstrual cycle, etc. The trend over time is the important thing.

What is MFP suggesting to you for net calories? Basically, the healthiest way to lose weight is to eat above your BMR, but below the total number of calories you are burning per day. The more you exercise, the more you can eat while still losing weight. In addition, the larger the difference between your BMR and the number of calories you burn each day, the faster you can safely lose weight.
  • gemsywemsy11
    Options
    thanks for quick reply! bfr states 1776 net calories per day, and it was only today I realised you had to eat the calories you just burnt in order to keep your net calories the same, so in my case that's 1500 (as of today because I upped them) was 1200 which wasn't enough.
    I'm burning rougly 450 calories 5 times a week doing the cross trainer, bike and a sit ups etc. so in order to lose weight do I need to eat more than 1776? per day when exercising? but not eating more than 450 ( what i burn at the gym)
  • steelersfamily6
    steelersfamily6 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    MFP has your calories & then your net calories. Once you exercise it takes away that amount in calories so what I have found for me to be okay is to make sure my net calories are always at least 1200. So if you eat 1500 calories a day but you exercise & burn 300, then your net calories will be 1200. In the beginning I rarely ate back my calories but now if I am going to exercise I will eat more.
  • gemsywemsy11
    Options
    great thanks! so starting off at 1200 was bad cos it meant only having an intake of 750 per day, whereas if my intake is 1700 and I burn 450 my net remains 1250....that makes so much sense, I might try this! what do I have to lose :)