Late Night Snacking

Options
Hello, I have been on MFP for little over a month now and have lost 12.5 lbs. I started off really good, now I find myself eating after I have completed my daily intake. I am a very busy, and forget to eat durning the day, when I do eat I over eat at one meal. After husband and kids are in bed I take some time to myself to relax, This is were I am starting to have trouble. Any suggestions.

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth, which usually stops me from eating late at night. You could snack on carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, with some low fat ranch dip?
  • dianniejt
    dianniejt Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Are you eating because you are hungry or because its habit or boredom? Maybe try some gum. Extra dessert delights is really tasty and only 5 calories per stick.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I have low fat popcorn every night. I leave calories for it. I will always be a night eater.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Are you eating because you are hungry or because its habit or boredom?
    The answer to this question determines the appropriate course of action.
  • ggmay49
    ggmay49 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have found that instead of grabbing that late nite snack (habit), I log into these message boards and start reading some of the stories here and let the urge pass. It has worked for me on several occasions!
  • donna_do_good
    Options
    I have low fat popcorn every night. I leave calories for it. I will always be a night eater.

Do you just buy the wee krnals and pop them yourself at home? What sort of cals is it
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth, which usually stops me from eating late at night.
    I hear people say that but it doesn't work for me because after 30 min or so you no longer feel that minty fresh brushed taste in your mouth.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Are you eating because you are hungry or because its habit or boredom?
    The answer to this question determines the appropriate course of action.

Agree! If you are TRULY hungry, eat. If you are bored or you are eating out of habit, get busy with something different! Read a book, do some knitting, play a card game, send emails, paint your nails, whatever.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I have to fight late night eating out of boredom. That's typically when we get to hang out and watch TV, and I tend to want to snack. It was so nice when the nights were cool, and nighttime was my running time, but these days I can only work out in the morning due to hot temperatures.

So what do I do? Keep myself busy doing something that will occupy my hands (like Angry Birds, get your mind out of the gutter!) and/or keep drinking water. I know that second suggestion sounds lame, but it helps.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If you know you're prone to snacking late at night, factor that into your food diary and log it ahead of time. Set that snack aside and ONLY EAT THAT SNACK! That way you get your snack and you stay within your allowances. :)
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth, which usually stops me from eating late at night.
    I hear people say that but it doesn't work for me because after 30 min or so you no longer feel that minty fresh brushed taste in your mouth.

I rinse with mouthwash afterwards which usually stays strong enough until I go to bed. Maybe pop a mint afterwards?
  • Damiilla
    Damiilla Posts: 66
    Options
    I drink peppermint tea or mint green tea, the minty taste lasts a lot longer than brushed teeth.