what are your favorite abdominal exercises?

Options
what has worked the fastest and best for visible results on your abs?

Replies

• neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    well, since i just started i cant really say that is works fast, but i HATE ab work and this i have stuck to....

2 sets of 15 bicycle crunches ( you know knee up elbow in ones) ( 15 is actually 30 total)
    2 sets of reverse crunches ( lifting your rear end)
    2 30sec planks

it may seem easy but it gets my abs burning. Im thinking about uping the sets soon too...
    good luck
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Stand with your feet about 16 inches apart, hands at your side, Hold a heavy weight (start with 15 lbs) in one hand by your side. Slowly bend down toward the side the weight is on, about 8-10 inches (almost to your knee), then return to your start position. Do 3 sets of 10 reps. Sounds easy, and it is, but you'll feel it the next day. Works the lateral obliques and pinches your waist inward - super sexy and fast results!
  • klhain
    klhain Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm not going to say that these are my favorite, but definitely the fastest results for me.

1. running on the treadmill, doing 2 minute intervals as fast as you can go, then rest for 1 min in between sets. Do this for 10 minutes.
    2. Get in "plank " position, hold for 30 seconds, then touch each hip to the ground for a total of 10. Do three sets. If you can stay up through all 3 sets.
    3. Get a exercise ball, lay on your back and pass the ball back and forth from your hands to your feet.

Have Fun!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    bicycles!! Holy Crap they are hard if you keep both legs off the ground. Took me a few weeks to get to that point, but I did them tonight!

WOOT!:flowerforyou:
  • Hello,

I'm not going to say that these are my favorite, but definitely the fastest results for me.

1. running on the treadmill, doing 2 minute intervals as fast as you can go, then rest for 1 min in between sets. Do this for 10 minutes.
    2. Get in "plank " position, hold for 30 seconds, then touch each hip to the ground for a total of 10. Do three sets. If you can stay up through all 3 sets.
    3. Get a exercise ball, lay on your back and pass the ball back and forth from your hands to your feet.

Have Fun!

Yup, i'm agree. i'm glad you also add HITT - 1 to the routine.
    When in the plank position, i also touch my knee up to my elbo and then touch the knee to the opposite elbow.

Options
    Bump!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Have Fun!

Sounds great - going to try this one.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I love the crunch machine at the gym. It has weight plates and you are lifting your own body with it too. I have no idea what it is called but it is awesome
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Running. It's not an ab exercise but it is what gave me the best and quickest results with my belly!
    And I've never gone farther than 3 miles and only run 3 times a week. I walk the rest of the days.

Also pilates is great for the core. Plus it makes me feel good and flexible.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Stand with your feet about 16 inches apart, hands at your side, Hold a heavy weight (start with 15 lbs) in one hand by your side. Slowly bend down toward the side the weight is on, about 8-10 inches (almost to your knee), then return to your start position. Do 3 sets of 10 reps. Sounds easy, and it is, but you'll feel it the next day. Works the lateral obliques and pinches your waist inward - super sexy and fast results!

Dang, I should do this inbetween sets of curls!
  • hgirl1021
    Options

i have to agree that you def feel these in the next day or two and ouch! :noway: i did these 2 days ago and my sides are killing me! but i know if you stick with 'em, they'll give you results!
  • spaceylaceys
    Options
    i like this one! thanks :)
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options

i have to agree that you def feel these in the next day or two and ouch! :noway: i did these 2 days ago and my sides are killing me! but i know if you stick with 'em, they'll give you results!

WOW! :wink: I did this yesterday and... WOW! Can't wait to do them again!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options

Part of what's making this so effective for me is that it also involves the lower BACK muscles as well. I'm glad they work! Do give yourself at least a day to feel the effects - it's a slow burn, and you will feel them the day after tomorrow as well, so give yourself some recuperation/recovery time!!! Once you acclimate yourself, you can do them daily.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options

Part of what's making this so effective for me is that it also involves the lower BACK muscles as well. I'm glad they work! Do give yourself at least a day to feel the effects - it's a slow burn, and you will feel them the day after tomorrow as well, so give yourself some recuperation/recovery time!!! Once you acclimate yourself, you can do them daily.

Yes, I do feel them in my lower back (love handles) too! I do back extensions regularly, which I did yesterday too but can definitely feel it more today! I won't be lifting today or tomorrow so I should be good. Thanks!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    lots of good ab stuff here, I LOVE the exercise ball for ab work.

http://exercise.about.com/library/bladvancedball.htm
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Thanks, Boss! I do a little bit of abs on the ball at the gym, I will try some of these. I also dusted off my Ab Lounge and do that and pushups when I get home. I like the Ab Lounge because you really get a stretch on it!
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    The 8 minute abs video. Twice a day, i had results in only 2 weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWjTnBmCHTY
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    Speaking of abdominal exercises, is it true when people say if you walk around with your stomach muscles tensed up/tighten that it helps to tone your stomach?? You know kinda like kegal exercises :bigsmile: