Fish

Options
2»

Replies

• heretocount
    Options
    Maybe salmon, not much of it, and just mix it in like a veggie type dish with souce, but chop up the salmon in little timy flakes and cook it pretty good cause then it will take on a defferent texture

And bake it cause it will be dryer and will be prob better for your tummy
  • CGreen177
    CGreen177 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fish fan either - I avoid shellfish like the plague unless they are deep fried in breadcrumbs (although not eating scampi at all just now, obviously). As an avowed fish hater, I'm surprising myself recently with how much I am eating. I do like salmon - but usually grill it and eat with soy sauce or some lemon / chilli (hides the fish taste!) Other than that I'd recommend Monkfish (although expensive) as it doesn't really taste fishy at all - lovely wrapped in parma ham, or with a curries spice crust. Or lemon sole (with lemon juice ... there is a theme here for me!)

And if you have a good fishmonger near you maybe ask for some options. One thing that puts me off is the smell - and really fresh fish ought not to smell, apparently.
  • ytfelmi
    ytfelmi Posts: 47
    Options
    I used to hate fish! Even now, I'm pretty picky with it. I do like Albacore tuna, mahi mahi, and tilapia.. pretty much the only fish I eat though. My daughter can't STAND seafood. She'll eat fish nuggets from TJ's sometimes, but any other fish, and she gags.

The only "fish dish" I've gotten her to eat, and ENJOY no less, was this:

Mix together a little butter, honey, and mustard (depending on what I have, regular or dijon both work) - brushed it on fresh tilapia filets. Then mix together breadcrumbs and almond slices (I use the Almond Accents butter toffee glazed almonds, or Honey roasted), and cover the filets.

Once they're cooked, they taste more like crunchy honey mustard chicken, than fish. She still shys away from it sometimes, saying "It's good.. but It's fish, right? I'm not sure I'll like it this time". Haha. Every time she tries mine though, she wants her own.

Might be worth a try. If you don't like it - you can always feed it to your fish loving husband :]
  • mrsmarion2b
    Options
    Simple solution - if you don't like fish don't eat it!

If, however, you are looking for other ways to enjoy it here is what I do:

My favorite is tilapia filets. I season them in fresh sliced lemon and lime, about half of each and then i squeeze the rest of the juice into the bottom of the pan with a bit of water in the bottom so it basically boils to cook. I also add some garlic seasoning to the top. So you get a nice mixture of garlic and citrus fish. It's really tasty but I love seafood, so this may not work for you. But it's worth a try!

ETA - You can do this with other fish too, like cod, halibut, sole, pollock....all very tasty! But tilapia is the best in my opinion. OH and if you're looking for omega-3's you can get a supplement or some eggs have them now. Good luck.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I know its healthy to eat fish and that you should weekly at some point but I cannot stand fish. I hate the taste and have to choke it down. I can only eat tuna every so often and the only reason I eat it is because "i'm suppose to." I have had tilapia, salmon, tuna, and I'm sure a few others but I just can't get past the taste. Even when seasoned and cooked with other things. Any suggestions?

Yeah, just forget about eating fish. There's so much out there to eat that you don't ever have to eat something you dislike just for the health benefits. Anything that fish can do for you, there are other foods that can do the same thing. Just poke around and you'll find them. Eating fish might be more convenient if you liked it, because of the Omega-3s and the lean protein; but that hardly makes it worth it if you can't stand the taste. Ditch fish and find substitutes that work for you.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    You can get omega-3 fats from some oils (I think sunflower and olive have a lot?) and enriched foods, too. I can find omega-3 enriched egg whites for pretty cheap, actually. Fish isn't a must.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Kippers are smoked herrings. Glorious to eat for breakfast. *drools*

You won't like them. Definitely an acquired taste, and if you don't like tilapia because of the taste, I'm betting kippers will send you running.

Step one, be clear about exactly what it is you are wanting to eat fish for - is it the protein? Is it the fatty acids? Then you can find alternatives that work for you.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    As we speak, I'm eating albacore now because I hate tuna! You shouldn't give up on fish entirely. Try some new varieties until you find one that you can enjoy. Grouper is very good. So is mahi mahi. If you can't eat it, then you just can't eat it, but I'm willing to bet there are lots of types of fish that you haven't tried.
    This made me giggle! You do know that albacore IS tuna, right?!:tongue:
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    my mom absolutely hates fish but loves raw sushi. go figure. the tell of a roll of GOOD sushi is that it should never smell fishy (unless its shrimp and that always smells fishy no matter what). maybe try raw sushi?
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love fish and seafood. It's virtually the only meat I actively LIKE. Trying buying better quality fish, and fresher if you can. it will eliminate the "fishy" taste and smell that a lot of people dislike. If you don't live near the shore, your fish might not be too great, since it has to be shipped in from wherever (assuming it's wild, anyway). I know the fish here on the coast of Cali is way better than it was when I was living in Oklahoma.

I really love baked or grilled fish with pesto and lemon. I also like seasoning it with things like paprika, chili powder, etc and baking.

Of course, if you don't like it, you don't have to eat it. But it's worth trying to see if you can adapt to it. I've managed to warm up to several foods I didn't like through experimentation.
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you really want the benefits from fish oils you can always try taking a fish oil supplement. No reason to force yourself to eat something you don't enjoy.

More info on fish oil: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/993.html

PS: if anyone is looking for a great recipe for tilapia. try this (courtesy of Bobby Deen):
    season both sides with a dash of salt and pepper
    zest a lime and rub on both sides
    squeeze the lime juice on both sides
    bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes (or about 4 min each side on the grill)
    optional: cut up an avocado to put on top
    enjoy!! :)
  • falcon367
    falcon367 Posts: 116
    Options
    There are all kinds of protein sources out there .. pick one you like and stay away from the ones you don't. :)

Beef
    • Hamburger patty, 4 oz – 28 grams protein
    • Steak, 6 oz – 42 grams
    • Most cuts of beef – 7 grams of protein per ounce
    Chicken
    • Chicken breast, 3.5 oz – 30 grams protein
    • Chicken thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
    • Drumstick – 11 grams
    • Wing – 6 grams
    • Chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams
    Fish
    • Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce
    • Tuna, 6 oz can – 40 grams of protein
    Pork (do we want to include?)
    • Pork chop, average – 22 grams protein
    • Pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams
    • Ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams
    • Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams
    • Bacon, 1 slice – 3 grams
    • Canadian-style bacon (back bacon), slice – 5 – 6 grams
    Eggs and Dairy
    • Egg, large – 6 grams protein
    • Milk, 1 cup – 8 grams
    • Cottage cheese, ½ cup – 15 grams
    • Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
    • Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
    • Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
    • Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz
    Beans (including soy)
    • Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
    • Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
    • Soy milk, 1 cup – 6 -10 grams
    • Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
    • Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
    • Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams
    Nuts and Seeds
    • Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons – 8 grams protein
    • Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    • Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
    • Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
    • Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
    • Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
    • Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    • Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams