why does my scale weight me different

Options
when i first get on the scale it says one weight. then when i get on it a second time right after i got off of it , it gives me another weight so i step on it 3x because i heard the 3rd time u get on the scale and whatever the weight is that your actual weight its a digital glass scale . has that ever happen anyone else

Replies

• walkthisway1
    walkthisway1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    No, I only weigh one time b/c it's bad enough. lol

I weigh only once a week, usually in the morning.
  • mrscreager
    mrscreager Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How big of a difference is it?
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Mine weighs the same every time, even if I step on it 3 times in a row. Maybe it's just the brand of scale?
  • cryshelle247
    cryshelle247 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    its like a anywhere between a 4-6 lbs difference which is really serious to me because its like which one is it? i stepped on this morning it said *69 i stepped on it a second time after the first and it said *64.8 and the 3rd time it was *64.0 i was like interesting.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Does it go back to zero every time?

If it's that variable, you can't actually trust it and it's not so much that its' not right, but that it is variable. get a new scales or weigh yourself somewhere else.
  • cryshelle247
    cryshelle247 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    its a digital scale i knew i should have got the weight watchers scales. i weight myself all over so i ultimately just went into the bathroom. i use to weight myself in my dining room the kitchen so i said forget it just go in the bathroom
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    its like a anywhere between a 4-6 lbs difference which is really serious to me because its like which one is it? i stepped on this morning it said *69 i stepped on it a second time after the first and it said *64.8 and the 3rd time it was *64.0 i was like interesting.

Mine frequently does the same thing. I just take the first measurement, no matter what it is. My goal is set to push me 10 pounds into the "normal" BMI range and I've started testing my body fat percentage with a trainer here at work to have a better number. So I'm only using the scale to measure "directional correctness" (is my weight moving in the right direction).

If you need to know your ACTUAL weight, you'll need to use a better counterweight-based scale like those found at a doctor's office. Home scales don't have to be accurate, they only need to be consistent.

Take your cheap scale to the doctor's office for your next physical. Ask your doctor to weigh you, then weigh yourself with your scale under the exact same conditions. Note the difference, and add/subtract that from anything your home scale tells you (it'll still be off, because the difference is probably a percentage, but it'll get you closer to the ballpark).
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    its a digital scale i knew i should have got the weight watchers scales. i weight myself all over so i ultimately just went into the bathroom. i use to weight myself in my dining room the kitchen so i said forget it just go in the bathroom

PS: As I said in my last post, mine does the same thing. And it's a "Weight Watcher's" brand scale. There's nothing magical about the WW brand on a scale, it's still a cheap-*kitten* bathroom scale with an extra $10 licensing fee for the WW brand baked into the price.
  • Lyfsgud
    Lyfsgud Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My scale weights me differently at different spots on my vinyl bathroom floor - so of course I found the "sweet spot" where it says the least!!! I weigh myself in that spot each morning.
  • EmmieSu
    EmmieSu Posts: 136
    Options
    Mine did that when it was needing a new battery. Also, make sure it has all of it's plastic/rubber pads, one of mine was missing once and it never weighed the same because it wasn't balanced. It there is something under it making it uneven it will also weigh you differently.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Make sure it’s on a flat even surface. I had that problem with mine and it is a weight watcher scale.
  • JenW1973
    JenW1973 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust it. My scale might fluctuate 0.2 if I weighed myself twice in a row, but not more than that. You should get a different scale.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
  • ajones1227
    ajones1227 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My mom has 2 scales in her laundry room and one happens to be a glass scale and for some reason its always 2-3 lbs more than the regular scale. I just bought a new health o meter scale and I weigh myself in my room which has carpet, then I take it to the kitchen and its always one lb more. Not a drastic difference but I just log the higher weight to be on the safe side.