How do you prepare or use canned chicken breast?

Options
Beachbean77
Beachbean77 Posts: 83 Member
I have never used canned meat before (aside from Tuna) and I have a large can in my pantry. I'd like to try and do something with the canned chicken breast... any ideas or suggestions??

Replies

• thewang
    thewang Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just throw it in a saute pan quick to brown it a little and use it in salads. Also like to mix it with just some craisins and nuts for a snack
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Black Pepper
    Hot Sauce
    BBQ Sauce
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    We always used it for pot pies when I was little. That strikes me as odd now that I'm older. We got canned chicken for pot pie but would never use anything but "real" chicken in any other casserole.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    open, drain, and mix wih rice and mustard. sounds wierd, but tastes pretty good!
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...brown it a little and make chicken salad. Nice, light, and fresh! Perfect for summer, imo.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    thx for posting this question, i too am wondering as i also have only used canned salmon or tuna... had no idea if i could eat it like that or had to cook it.... i know sounds stupid,lol.... i was oging to put some in a pasta salad but didn't know what else i could make with it.
  • KraseyBeauty
    Options
    I make a curried chicken salad from it. Mix with greek yogurt, some finely chopped celery, and a sprinkle of curry powder!
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    we also make a salad

drain and rinse

yogurt
    grapes
    celery
    carrots
    jicama
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Make quesadillas with it, warm your tortilla, sprinkle a little cheese on it, sprinkle a little canned chicken (salt and pepper if you want) Voila!

I like them anyways.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I usually use it in tortilla soup.
  • dcsump2
    dcsump2 Posts: 73
    Options
    Only thing I use it for is Buffalo Chicken dip.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I have only used it for chicken tortilla soup, as a sort of pantry recipe, you can just add the chicken with a can of chicken broth with a can of rotel tomatoes (not sure if they have this everywhere, it's diced tomatoes with chilies) and top with tortillas. you can add anything you want-black beans, avocado, corn... I have seen all different kinds.
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Only thing I use it for is Buffalo Chicken dip.

^This.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Make it the same way you do tuna salad.

Or this is a really good recipe
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/06/cilantro-chicken-salad.html
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I make chicken salad with spicy mustard, pickles, & celery
    or
    quesadillas on my george foreman with spinach, tomatoes and jalepenos.
  • njfitnessgirl
    Options
    I drain and rinse canned chicken and mix it with some craisins, chopped granny smith apple and a little mayo and have it as a sandwich or just with some crackers.
  • ninavivi
    ninavivi Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    just be careful because it usually has a lot of sodium. I like the canned chicken (i put it on my salad) but i can only have a 1/3 at at time.
  • Tricialew32
    Tricialew32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    we also make a salad

drain and rinse

yogurt
    grapes
    celery
    carrots
    jicama

I do this too! Red grapes are better than green for this and I always rinse the chicken first because canned is usually loaded with sodium and preservatives.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I make wraps with it. Ranch, maybe some Frank's Red Hot, cheese, spinach.
  • Knee2010
    Knee2010 Posts: 10
    Options
    I heat up refried beans and put the beans, canned chicken, grated cheese and hot sauce on a chalupa shell (or a crispy taco shell). yum.