Tortilla and Green Chili Casserole

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
This is one of my fav ediets recipes. I have made it at least 3 times. It makes a lot of food and is very filling. I usually use the Josephs tortillas instead because of the health benefits of them. I'm not sure of the calorie amount by itself but the entire meal ediets gives me is 506.8 calories and 14.4 g fat for dinner. Just adjust it accordingly based on what tortillas you use, etc. The rest of the meal also include:
2 cups mixed salad greens
2 tbsp. salad dressing, low fat or nonfat; low sodium
3/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1 tbsp. sliced almonds

Tortilla and Green Chili Casserole*
Ingredients
2 flour tortillas (approximately 6 inch diameter)
1/2 fresh green chili pepper
1/2 bell pepper, green
2 oz. low fat, low sodium shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
2 oz. liquid egg whites
1/2 cup nonfat, skim milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Dice green chili pepper and bell pepper; combine and set aside. Coat a casserole dish with cooking spray. Tear tortillas into bite-sized pieces and spread 1/2 of them on bottom of the casserole. Top with half the chopped green chili and bell pepper mixture, and half the cheese. Repeat layering. Combine liquid egg whites, milk and parsley and gently pour over casserole. Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes, or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve.

Replies

• TamTastic
    Options
    This is one of my fav ediets recipes. I have made it at least 3 times. It makes a lot of food and is very filling. I usually use the Josephs tortillas instead because of the health benefits of them. I'm not sure of the calorie amount by itself but the entire meal ediets gives me is 506.8 calories and 14.4 g fat for dinner. Just adjust it accordingly based on what tortillas you use, etc. The rest of the meal also include:
    2 cups mixed salad greens
    2 tbsp. salad dressing, low fat or nonfat; low sodium
    3/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries
    1 tbsp. sliced almonds

Tortilla and Green Chili Casserole*
    Ingredients
    2 flour tortillas (approximately 6 inch diameter)
    1/2 fresh green chili pepper
    1/2 bell pepper, green
    2 oz. low fat, low sodium shredded cheddar cheese
    1/2 tsp. dried parsley
    2 oz. liquid egg whites
    1/2 cup nonfat, skim milk

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Dice green chili pepper and bell pepper; combine and set aside. Coat a casserole dish with cooking spray. Tear tortillas into bite-sized pieces and spread 1/2 of them on bottom of the casserole. Top with half the chopped green chili and bell pepper mixture, and half the cheese. Repeat layering. Combine liquid egg whites, milk and parsley and gently pour over casserole. Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes, or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    This sounds so good. How many servings to you get out of it?
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Ediets has each thing calculated as one serving per person, so you can have the entire thing! I change it up a bit. Like I get the Kraft Free Cheddar Cheese and the Joseph Tortillas...but it turns out to be a really nice size portion. Extremely filling, especially when adding some vegetables, etc. It almost has a chili rellenos flavor to it to me.