For how long can you safely reduce/cut out carbs?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    It is extremely difficult (as in, nearly impossible) to cut out carbs safely for long. While it is true that our bodies can survive without carbohydrates, foods such as vegetables, fruits and whole grains contain that contain carbs also contain a myriad of other nutrients that our bodies need.

Whether or not you can safely reduce them long term would depend on how much you are reducing and what you are replacing those calories with.

It's also important to remember that "surviving" just means not dying. It does not guarantee health, satisfaction or happiness.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    I don't listen to "experts". They don't know me, they don't know my body. I don't listen to doctors because they know nothing about nutrition. Those "experts" say "meat rots in your colon" and meat is digested before it even gets to your colon (bean, grains, and vegetables "rot" in your colon and your feces is mostly non-digested food stuff like dead cells).

I plan on doing it for life. I barely do any exercise and have great looking muscles. The more I eat the more I end up moving and being active. Eating a good amount of fat in on sitting makes me hyper - a full fat can of coconut milk will have me bouncing off the walls. If I up my calories my energy levels increase within a couple of days. (I do a lot of N=1 experiments these days).
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Personally, I could do it indefinitely. I suffer from binge days occasionally, but that's usually from stress/emotional factors rather than cravings, then I get on the ball again after a day or two. I work out 6 days per week, have no energy troubles, so I say if it's working for you and you can sustain it - go for it. Been doing it since January 2nd without problems.
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    This isn't truly low carb; you're getting a moderate amount of carbs in the fruits and vegetables you're eating. Looks like a very sensible diet. Are you doing paleo? It looks pretty similar.

Um ... I have no idea what paleo is, so no! I originally started doing Marylin Glenville's Fat Around The Middle diet which was recommended to me by a friend. That particular diet states, amongst other things, cutting out starchy/grainy carbs at evening meals, and I just wondered out of curiosity what would happen if I cut them out of all meals. I had expected something horrendous (fatigue, poor skin, constipation, dark clouds, ravens circling, apocalypse, that kind of thing) but was completely floored when I looked and felt better, not least because I really did feel I had lost FAT. And I didn't care one but that the scales never budged.
  • There are no molecules in the group "carbohydrates" that we have to eat, unlike protein and essential fatty acids / minerals / vitamins.

So the answer is in general "a very long time". Over 2 years in my personal experience, with less than 30g per day of what Americans would call "net carbs" (ie carbohydrates on food labels minus fiber on the label).

I recently read a book about low carb performance sports which said carbohydrates are not essential to sports and made the point that endurance sports need more calories than the body can store as carbs. I'm aware that there's a whole sports nutrition industry and followers that will say otherwise."low carb athletic performance" in a search engine will feed your curiosity.

I find this very interesting, and I agree that classical sports nutrition is all about the carbs. But it might also be worth thinking through what kind of carbs are worth eliminating - e.g., I doubt anyone has improved their health by eliminating spinach and kale, sweet potatoes, or summer squash. But if you're talking about high-sugar and high-starch carbs, that's a different story: fruit (lots of sugar - easy to over do it), rice, breads, and of course all the yummy/bad-for-you stuff like cake and brownies. I'm pretty sure you can go brownie free for life (although what sort of life would that be?)
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Avoid those things as part of a carb reduction to get rid of the bloat and internal inflammation that most people actually get from gluten

Celiac disease effects less than 1% of the population. Even the poorly-defined condition known as "gluten-intolerance" effects at most 10%.

This is not "most people" by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    It is extremely difficult (as in, nearly impossible) to cut out carbs safely for long. While it is true that our bodies can survive without carbohydrates, foods such as vegetables, fruits and whole grains contain that contain carbs also contain a myriad of other nutrients that our bodies need.

Whether or not you can safely reduce them long term would depend on how much you are reducing and what you are replacing those calories with.

It's also important to remember that "surviving" just means not dying. It does not guarantee health, satisfaction or happiness.

NEED is a pretty strong word. While nobody is going to run off (at least most likely) and go hang with Inuits in the Arctic, the fact that their diet is comprised pretty much completely of protein and fat. Traditional Inuit diets derive, at most, 35-40% of their calories from protein, with 50-75% of calories preferably coming from fat. The Arctic can't support agriculture on any scale and lacks forageable plant matter for much of the year, so really no grains or vegtables there. Many Inuit routinely live well into their 70s, 80s, 90s and some over 100 years.
  • Thanks for the replies - and sorry, I should have been clearer in terms of what I meant by "reducing carbs". I didn't measure the actual amount of carbohydrate I was eating or anything, but my daily diet would consist of something like:

Breakfast - blueberries, full fat live yogurt and nuts
    Lunch - large avocado with hummus and/or falafel
    Dinner - salmon with asparagus and spinach, or some sort of home-made bean stew in tomato sauce
    Snacks - fruit, nuts, seeds
    Drinks - water (still and sparkling), fruit juice (but only once a day and EXTREMELY diluted), green tea, oolong tea
    No pasta, bread, rice, oats, potatoes, refined sugar or honey, or junky carbs such as biscuits or cakes. And no booze!

My previous diet would have been: The same breakfast but with oatmeal sprinkled on, something rice-based for lunch such as risotto or kedgeree, and a similar dinner but with a potato or pasta accompaniment.

Had I lost weight on the scales and muscle tone, I would have stopped the diet. But I actually look leaner and more toned - I have the arms and shoulders of a javelin thrower despite not even doing any weights!

Can I come over for dinner?
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Don't get your "low-carb" info from the Atkins site. Get it from Primal Blueprint.com, chriskresser.com, gnolls.org, Hyperlipid (this guy has been doing VLC for quite a few years.)etc. Look at Primal/Paleo sites. (Atkins just pushes their low-carb crap that is still highly processed unhealthy "healthy" food like substances).

Our body has its own antioxidant making system. And fruits/vegetables aren't all they're made up to be (I treat them as a garnish more than a meal - I eat them but I don't go out of my way to get them). All plants contain toxins. And too much can be detrimental (fructose is a toxin in the body - this is why it gets shunted to the liver and disposed of so quickly - so tell me how unlimited fruit is healthy?). There isn't a single nutrient in a fruit or vegetable that you can't get somewhere else. (and when you remove grains, legumes, and sugars from the diet your vitamin C needs go down. The Inuit live on protein/fat ONLY yet they don't suffer scurvy).

And I wish I could find the link of the martial arts expert who has been Paleo for 15 years (less than 100g of carbs a day). He is a highly trained athlete that runs on FAT!!
  • You should be asking your own personal doctor about this. Every BODY is different...by the way i lost 70lbs eating carbs and normally 1,600 cal a day 30min work outs

I disagree with this. Doctors are not necessarily nutritionists.

I agree with this. Most doctors don't know squat about nutrition, and I think most nutritionists have an agenda, as well. (And remember, just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you...)

And I seriously do think most nutritionists have an agenda...
  • Marll
    Don't get your "low-carb" info from the Atkins site. Get it from Primal Blueprint.com, chriskresser.com, gnolls.org, Hyperlipid (this guy has been doing VLC for quite a few years.)etc. Look at Primal/Paleo sites. (Atkins just pushes their low-carb crap that is still highly processed unhealthy "healthy" food like substances).

Our body has its own antioxidant making system. And fruits/vegetables aren't all they're made up to be (I treat them as a garnish more than a meal). All plants contain toxins. And too much can be detrimental (fructose is a toxin in the body - this is why it gets shunted to the liver and disposed of so quickly - so tell me how unlimited fruit is healthy?)

And I wish I could find the link of the martial arts expert who has been Paleo for 15 years (less than 100g of carbs a day). He is a highly trained athlete that runs on FAT!!

That being said, getting the last book written by Dr. Atkins himself is not a bad move. I agree that Atkins is more about pushing products now, but Dr. Atkins was a pioneer in low carb and has very good information and a proven system. He always pushed fresh foods over anything packaged, though did help to make low carb products more available as an aid to some.

I personally follow a hybrid Atkins/Primal type diet, with the end goal of Primal/Paleo being my maintenance diet once I loose all that I want.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    You can certainly reduce the amount of carbs forever and still manage not to die (contrary to some views on this site). That being said you should be getting some carbs through the form of vegtables as a cornerstone of a low carb diet, with some fruits and generally avoiding anything processed, refined and packaged as a general rule.

Oh, and most grains are pretty much garbage, as is soy. Avoid those things as part of a carb reduction to get rid of the bloat and internal inflammation that most people actually get from gluten. Soy is stright up garbage IMO, messes with hormones, inhibits thyroid function in some people and is overconsumed by Americans especailly since they put it in just about everything processed these days (good luck finding even breakfast sausage in the grocery store these days without soy in it :mad: )

Good info on soy thank you especially since I have under active thyroid gland.
  • Marll
    Avoid those things as part of a carb reduction to get rid of the bloat and internal inflammation that most people actually get from gluten

Celiac disease effects less than 1% of the population. Even the poorly-defined condition known as "gluten-intolerance" effects at most 10%.

Celiac disease is the far end of the spectrum, but while it may be partly genetics, I find it unsurprising that I have issues (minor eczema that flares up whenever I eat wheat), my wife is HIGHLY gluten intolerant and my son is as well.

My mom also has issues with gluten and I personally know at least 15 other people that have issues ranging from aches and pains, acne, irritable bowel and other problems whenever they eat wheat. Your numbers might be accurate for DIAGNOSED cases (my wife is one), but I'd say that your average joe may have more issues with it than they realize.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

Our body has its own antioxidant making system. And fruits/vegetables aren't all they're made up to be (I treat them as a garnish more than a meal - I eat them but I don't go out of my way to get them). All plants contain toxins. And too much can be detrimental (fructose is a toxin in the body - this is why it gets shunted to the liver and disposed of so quickly - so tell me how unlimited fruit is healthy?). There isn't a single nutrient in a fruit or vegetable that you can't get somewhere else. (and when you remove grains, legumes, and sugars from the diet your vitamin C needs go down. The Inuit live on protein/fat ONLY yet they don't suffer scurvy).

Lol a good example of why not to get your info from the sites listed in the first paragraph
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member

Celiac disease is the far end of the spectrum, but while it may be partly genetics, I find it unsurprising that I have issues (minor eczema that flares up whenever I eat wheat), my wife is HIGHLY gluten intolerant and my son is as well.

My mom also has issues with gluten and I personally know at least 15 other people that have issues ranging from aches and pains, acne, irritable bowel and other problems whenever they eat wheat. Your numbers might be accurate for DIAGNOSED cases (my wife is one), but I'd say that your average joe may have more issues with it than they realize.

And you're basing this assumption on what, exactly? Your feelings? LOL

The placebo effect works both ways, people who believe that they will have an adverse reaction to something will often have it regardless of whether or not there's any actual physiological reason.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Your diet is not paleo at all, as they don't have dairy products and limit fruit. Your diet is very simillar to mine. After reading a lot I've lowered my carbs to 20% which is mainly fruit, dairy and a little dark chocolate. protein 30% and fat 50%. But to be honest I am thining that it's too high fat and I think I'm best changing things around. There is a lot of information out there saying that saturated fat is bad for you, and there is a lot of infomation that says sat fat will not harm you. I don't know what the answer is. I am still learning.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    There isn't a single nutrient in a fruit or vegetable that you can't get somewhere else
    The Inuit live on protein/fat ONLY yet they don't suffer scurvy

Because they get (or got, because most Inuit don't live this way anymore) their Vitamin C from raw seal/whale meat, blubber, and organ meats such as stomach. I really don't see your everyday low carber eating enough (or any) of those foods to get ideal amounts of C and other vitamins.

It seems unwise and unnecessary to advise against vegetable consumption.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    I have been doing low to no carbs for a very long time (20+ years). Started with Protein Power, then Atkins then you name the diet as long as it says no carbs it seemed to work for me. However with age comes a bit of wisdom (at least on how my own body reacts).

With regards to cutting out bread, baked goods, white rice, sugar, cookies, pizza, french fries, etc... that all makes a ton of sense and I know I can remove those from my diet forever and I'll feel better and have much more energy. When I've gone off the diet and added back those "comfort" foods I gained weight no matter how much I excercised.

However I've also overdone it where I ate nothing but meat and cheese and definitely did not feel as good. Working with a nutritionist I've greatly increased my vegetable intake (as an example added Spinach to my egg white and chicken apple sausage) and do allot more chicken and fish and less red meat (but red meat is good especialy if you can find grass fed).

So the challenge for me is to get enough fiber and in a low carb diet the best way that I've found for myself to do that is to add green steamed vegetables to every meal if possible.

Best of luck!

Very informative, thank you!
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Thanks for the replies - and sorry, I should have been clearer in terms of what I meant by "reducing carbs". I didn't measure the actual amount of carbohydrate I was eating or anything, but my daily diet would consist of something like:

Breakfast - blueberries, full fat live yogurt and nuts
    Lunch - large avocado with hummus and/or falafel
    Dinner - salmon with asparagus and spinach, or some sort of home-made bean stew in tomato sauce
    Snacks - fruit, nuts, seeds
    Drinks - water (still and sparkling), fruit juice (but only once a day and EXTREMELY diluted), green tea, oolong tea
    No pasta, bread, rice, oats, potatoes, refined sugar or honey, or junky carbs such as biscuits or cakes. And no booze!

My previous diet would have been: The same breakfast but with oatmeal sprinkled on, something rice-based for lunch such as risotto or kedgeree, and a similar dinner but with a potato or pasta accompaniment.

Had I lost weight on the scales and muscle tone, I would have stopped the diet. But I actually look leaner and more toned - I have the arms and shoulders of a javelin thrower despite not even doing any weights!

Can I come over for dinner?

Absolutely, if you bring a bottle of wine and dessert! Oh no ... wait ...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    It depends on what you mean by "reduced carbs". I cut back on carbs, I consume between 100 - 150g/day. I eat some whole grains & complex carbs (whole grain bread, rice, sweet potato, etc.), but stay clear of simple carbs (white bread, white rice, potatos). I've been doing this for about 10 months now. I also walk on the treadmill (moderate pace) a mile a day for 6 days a week. I haven't fallen over yet.

Low Carbers get around 50g/ day or even less. That seems dicey to me, I couldn't sustain a daily carb level that low for a long period of time.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.
    This is me. I've been eating 100-150 a day for about 12 years. Slow carbs, primarily. Whole grains, vegetables etc. Fruit.