Vegan Diet

Options
Has anyone had experience being on a vegan diet? I would just like to know the key points of the lifestyle, the struggles that come with it, and most of all if it is unhealthy restricting your body of needed proteins and if their is a compromise of protein within the diet.

So basically, all about a vegan diet:)

Replies

• jldunn713
    jldunn713 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I eat vegan and love it! It is absolutely the healthiest thing you can do for yourself... If you make the right choices. There is a ton of protein to be had out there without animal products. Beans, nuts, seeds. And vegetables have protein too. You just have to really eat a lot of them. Can't just cut animal products out and keep eating what you've been eating. Be adventurous and try new things! Start blog surfing and you will find tons of new recipes.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I agree it’s the healthiest thing you can do for your body. I went plants strong as I like to call it after watching a movie called Forks over knives (on Netflix and Amazon). Changed my life adn my husbands.......I should say saved out lives. I never thought I would like eating Vegan I hated vegetables. But I really love it now, lots of new great tasting foods and my health and just the way I feel has improved dramatically.

I love and have learned a lot from the “Happy Herbivore” cook books by Lindsay Nixon she is also on facebook as “Happy Herbivore”. Also on facebook “Jeff Novick, MS, RD” and “Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr.” Dr. Esselstyn has a great book “Prevent and reverse heart disease”. By actually cutting out animal protein you can reduce your risk of some cancers, cure type 2 diabetes and reveres and prevent heart disease. I wish I had known this years ago. I try and stay clear of pre packaged highly processed vegan protein. Some of them are just Vegan junk food and high in sodium. Focus on Bean’s, lentils, soy beans, some and fresh veggie protein. I do drink processed soy and almond milks.

Good luck!
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    This thread should kick *kitten*!
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I love being vegan. I feel good about my health and good about the effort I'm making to avoid cruelty to animals. There are many vegan complete proteins - tofu, tempeh, quinoa are some biggies. And foods like beans and rice can be combined to get all the necessary amino acids.
  • violetismysoul
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I've been looking into this for a while and am liking the facts that research is revealing and am thankful for the responses. One question though...are eggs out of the question? because technically chickens naturally produce those(hopefully crossing fingers) :/

oh! and I was wondering if there are any health "hazards" that could be in question with the vegan lifestyle?
  • SanFranFrisky
    Options
    Eggs aren't part of the vegan diet. Sorry about that. :)

I've been vegan for about six years now and I can't imagine ever going back. The only thing you need to worry about deficiency wise is probably vitamin B12. Once upon a time, so I read, it was available from plants (before industrial agriculture when the soil was richer) but now isn't. Protein and iron shouldn't be a problem if you're eating your beans and leafy greens.

Frustrating things? When I started out it felt like I spent a lot of time reading the ingredient labels on every darn thing in the grocery store. After a while you get the hang of it. I try not to be a pain in the neck when going out to eat, but I will ask about what's in the food. If you're near a Whole Foods their prepared stuff is awesome because they always post all the ingredients on the label.

The best thing I did was learn to cook for myself. It got me away from living off Boca burgers and Oreos. Isa Chandra Moskowitz' cookbooks are my favorite (Vegan With A Vengeance, Veganomicon, and Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar). They're well written and don't rely on a lot of processed packaged (expensive) stuff.

Good luck and welcome to herbivore land!
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I've been looking into this for a while and am liking the facts that research is revealing and am thankful for the responses. One question though...are eggs out of the question? because technically chickens naturally produce those(hopefully crossing fingers) :/

oh! and I was wondering if there are any health "hazards" that could be in question with the vegan lifestyle?

look up, ovo-lacto vegetarian it is the vegan diet with eggs and dairy
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    This thread should kick *kitten*!

Indeed...

...but not necessarily in a good way.

Happy Fourth of July, everyone...enjoy the fireworks.
  • tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    why dont you try being veggie for awhile first. ease yourself into it!

:flowerforyou:
  • violetismysoul
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

yay:) I will definitely look into that. I'm already pretty much a vegetarian, I just didn't realize it until my friends asked me if I was because of my change in diet...obviously they think eating healthy with a mindfullness is the equalivalent of being vegetarian...teenagers(jeez).

I don't know how to quote two people but also, most people don't have a B12 deficiency, that's more of a rumor than a study. My source of that knowledge is my pedeatrician:)
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options

LOL! ^^^ No.
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love being vegan. :heart: I'm healthier, too.

People say that there are a lot of nutritional deficiencies, but the studies I've read show that the same percentage of people that are omnivores have the same deficiencies (iron, B12, calcium, etc.).

I swear by Vega protein. They have great products. I also take iron (but I'm iron deficient anemic, and was before I went vegan), vitamin D, and B12. It's really all about food choices.

Sorry, but vegans do not eat animal products, period. No dairy, eggs, fish, meat or poultry. If you want to continue to eat eggs, you could just be vegetarian, but not vegan. Just look up pastured eggs. I was vegetarian for 10+ years before I went vegan. There is a lot of support online for the transition, as well as great recipes and supplements.

Good luck! :bigsmile:
  • tiffanyrose519
    tiffanyrose519 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend ohsheglows.com a fantastic vegan recipe blog. I'm not vegan, but I like to throw different kinds of meals in my weekly menu and I haven't tried a recipe on this blog that I don't like (even my meat loving husband likes these recipes). Angela (the blog writer) always mentions when her recipes are high in protein, iron, etc. to help you begin your journey :)

Also, chocolatecoveriedkatie.com is a great vegan dessert blog.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Please tell me the difference then, between vegan and vegetarian? The two are used interchangeably, where I am from
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Please tell me the difference then, between vegan and vegetarian? The two are used interchangeably, where I am from

Vegetarians eat no meat but they do eat animal products: yogurt, eggs, milk, sour cream, etc.

Vegans eat NO animal products at all.
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    the documentary Forks over Knives (www.forksoverknives.com) is one amazing work.

Im trying to get to 100% vegan - stepping down over the next few months. Its gettign easier and easier.
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    I was 100% vegan for quite a while. My mind was so clear and felt great.. but I went back to eating normal. Parents are buying my food right now and I don't want to be picky with them since they are big meat eaters.
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan myself and I love it! Definitely forks over knives is a wonderful resource. Engine 2 is also a wonderful website to check out. If you have any specific questions feel free to message me!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I very much love the diet. The only hard part is reading ingredients, figuring out new varied recipes (fun part but can be hard at first) and eating out you have to really dig around to make sure you are eating Vegan. Vacations can be hard as well but if you can hold your ground and do your research/bring snacks you should be fine.

Add me if you like!
  • CaroseH
    CaroseH Posts: 72
    Options
    bump!