working the night shift....how do you do it?

Options
I'm about a month in to working 4pm-midnight 5 days a week. In addition to this...i have a 45min- hour commute to work (because of traffic) and about a 30-45 min commute home. I know this isn't as bad as working over night but it's still been a struggle. I haven't been able to go to the gym the whole time and I'm finding myself sleeping in later and later (used to get up at 8 or 9...now waking up at 10 or 11). How do you guys stay on track? do you eat when you get home? does working out in the morning make you too tired to stay up so late?

any advice/suggestions welcome!

Thank you!

Replies

• dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I worked the night shift (9pm-5am) for 2 and a half years, but it was at a restaurant and I kept the weight off simply by running around the entire time I was at work. I ate a ton of fast food every day, it was gross, but after I quit I gained 20 pounds, which is why I'm here. My tip would be to exercise before going in, that way you'll have energy and won't be dreading it.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I worked 3 different shifts for 10 years and my least favoured was the afternoon shift, which for me was 3pm - 11pm. The only thing it was good for was for going out for a few drinks after work. However, I did adjust and ended up doing my exercising as soon as I got home after shift. I did not eat when I got home, although some others on the shift did. I ate before I went to work though. I tried doing my exercising in the morniing and it didn't work for the most part. Like you, over time, I just found myself getting up later and later until I was sleeping right up until I had to leave for work. Good luck working it out :)