Rant on Public Forums :)

Options
AwesomelyAmber
AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
I'm sooo very sure that I just left a bunch of people on FB scratching their heads, but really hope that the ONE that it was meant for gets the message. Somehow I doubt it...
"Proving your a 'grown up' doesn't mean "Hey world, I am now 18!", it has more to do with how you portray yourself in a 'public place'...Yup, facebook included. Grandparents, Parents, Aunts, Uncles, FUTURE BOSSES...all look at this stuff. Private doesn't really mean "noone can ever see this except my 'friends'" people would do good to remember that...."

WHY is it that people feel the need to post absolute ridiculousness on their profiles??? It seems more often than not lately, I log onto my fb account and see some of the most "WHAT THE WHAT?!" posts from those that are suposedly trying to prove to the world how "adult" they are.

Today for instance one of my just turned 18 family members posts "Hmm what is on my mind? How about weedweedweed (repeat to fill an entire paragraph) followed by "boobz". This particular 'adult' has no job, an apparent addiction, and the biggest aspiration in life is to walk to the store and buy a coke with his disability check that he "earns" for a troubled youth. Last week it was a cousin that was angry at her boyfriend so she felt the need to let everyone know what a *(#*%$(* he was over and over. Before that another 'pal' went off about their job and how the boss could do very inappropriate things to himself and she would be happy.

OBVIOUSLY not everyone in the world are the perfect little people that they let their grannies and grampies believe, but sometimes it just leaves me shaking my head. I swear, I smoke, I drink, I party with the best of em... but I choose not to post that for the world to see.

So... what's your opinion? Ok to 'let it all out in the open'? OR Keep it PG for those 'friends' that might be your parents, grandparents, neighbors, aunts, uncles, or ummmm FUTURE EMPLOYERS???

Replies

• ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I agree that you shouldn't post those kinds of things on the internet, especially social media sites. My biggest no no is relationship drama. Face your problems, don't Facebook them.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    Options
    Oh definately!!! Love the ones that are "in a relationship", "single", etc. after EVERY argument! :laugh:
  • wyofarmgirl
    wyofarmgirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just delete them from my friends list....they won't notice anyway and then I don't have to look at their pathetic crap.
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Live and let live.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Turning 18 doesn't magically mature your brain. Sadly, the choices of 12 year olds are now being recorded for all time, and this next generation will have to deal with the consequences of that.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Boobs rock.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I just delete them from my friends list....they won't notice anyway and then I don't have to look at their pathetic crap.
    ____
    ^^This. I had someone who got the exact life she wanted (Twin boy and girl kids through invitro, married to a marine who got deployed) and every post was her complaining about how hard her life was and how the kids were driving her nuts and blah blah...it stressed me out just reading them! I'm sorry you got the life you asked for....but I don't need to deal with "Oh woah is me and won't someone help me?". Sorry sister...DELETE!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The only relative I have on FB is my older brother, who makes me at my worst look like a perfect lady. My FB is also under an assumed name, which takes care of the future employers bit. I do this so that I can be as obnoxious, nasty, etc. as I want to be, complain about coworkers, etc., and if someone doesn't like it, they can figure out how to block my feed or unfriend me.

As for other people's behavior, if I don't like it, I don't read it. If they bother me often enough, I take them off my feed. It's pretty easy really.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    14185212UtNF3Va6.gif?1302832919
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Boobs rock.

and jiggle
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    ____
    ^^This. I had someone who got the exact life she wanted (Twin boy and girl kids through invitro, married to a marine who got deployed) and every post was her complaining about how hard her life was and how the kids were driving her nuts and blah blah...it stressed me out just reading them! I'm sorry you got the life you asked for....but I don't need to deal with "Oh woah is me and won't someone help me?". Sorry sister...DELETE!

Being with someone who is deployed is difficult in ways many people can't really imagine. Plus all the BS the MC adds to it. And I can't being to imagine doing it alone with twins. Obviously I don't know this person, but what they are going through really is difficult--probably in ways they didn't anticipate.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm sooo very sure that I just left a bunch of people on FB scratching their heads, but really hope that the ONE that it was meant for gets the message. Somehow I doubt it...
    "Proving your a 'grown up' doesn't mean "Hey world, I am now 18!", it has more to do with how you portray yourself in a 'public place'...

Let it be known... I didn't read past this.

But let me get this straight... Rather than sending a direct message or calling the ONE person in question, you posted a passive-aggressive non-specific FB status hoping an 18 year old would learn how to act like a grown-up?

Are you starting to see my point yet??

How about now???
  • cds2001
    cds2001 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Yep -- this new generation coming along will have to learn the hard way. I know that now you have a good number of employers who check on that stuff as well as colleges for acceptance and scholarship offers. And they should keep in mind that just because you have your privacy settings set to 'friends' you should be aware that your friend could copy and send along anything. Just be sure you know who your true friends are and be sure not to make them an enemy.
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    Turning 18 doesn't magically mature your brain. Sadly, the choices of 12 year olds are now being recorded for all time, and this next generation will have to deal with the consequences of that.

This is all too true. I think as a culture we haven't quite caught up to the technological reality that there are cameras everywhere, and our thoughts logged at the click of a button.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    "Proving your a 'grown up' doesn't mean "Hey world, I am now 18!", it has more to do with how you portray yourself in a 'public place'...

Let it be known... I didn't read past this.

But let me get this straight... Rather than sending a direct message or calling the ONE person in question, you posted a passive-aggressive non-specific FB status hoping an 18 year old would learn how to act like a grown-up?

Are you starting to see my point yet??

How about now???

*POKE*

Sorry, I got distracted right after you sai.... SQUIRREL!
  • Fiery_Vixen
    Fiery_Vixen Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Oh definately!!! Love the ones that are "in a relationship", "single", etc. after EVERY argument! :laugh:

Ugh...I've befrinded people from highschool on facebook who are STILL like this. We're 30 years old now people...GROW UP!!! I don't want to know about how sad you are that the guy you've been pining after STILL won't give you the time of day, how mistreated you are at work by everybody, and how life didn't turn out the way you wanted; just like you knew it always would. Get over the loser, get another job, and actively do something to make your life better...do more than just update your status about it on facebook every ten minutes...sigh.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    Options
    The only relative I have on FB is my older brother, who makes me at my worst look like a perfect lady. My FB is also under an assumed name, which takes care of the future employers bit. I do this so that I can be as obnoxious, nasty, etc. as I want to be, complain about coworkers, etc., and if someone doesn't like it, they can figure out how to block my feed or unfriend me.

As for other people's behavior, if I don't like it, I don't read it. If they bother me often enough, I take them off my feed. It's pretty easy really.

That makes perfect sense!!! I really like the idea of having an assumed name so that people don't KNOW who you are on a job app or something...
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    "Today for instance one of my just turned 18 family members posts "Hmm what is on my mind? How about weedweedweed (repeat to fill an entire paragraph) followed by "boobz". This particular 'adult' has no job, an apparent addiction, and the biggest aspiration in life is to walk to the store and buy a coke with his disability check that he "earns" for a troubled youth. Last week it was a cousin that was angry at her boyfriend so she felt the need to let everyone know what a *(#*%$(* he was over and over. Before that another 'pal' went off about their job and how the boss could do very inappropriate things to himself and she would be happy."

If your facebook was that bad and everyone was doing it why would you use two of your FAMILY MEMBERS as examples?? Even though your cousin is on disability, I doubt their biggest aspiration is to walk to the store. I am on disability, I would hope none of my FAMILY MEMBERS talk about me like this let alone on the internet. How is posting this making you look better than anyone else who does this stuff? You just made yourself look really bad.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Wait... You don't like that people post their issues on facebook, and you don't like the way people portray themselves.. so you come to MFP and post your issues, and portray yourself as the kind of person who very likely is way too wrapped up in other people's business (regardless of where they air their dirty laundry)? Am I reading you right?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Wait... You don't like that people post their issues on facebook, and you don't like the way people portray themselves.. so you come to MFP and post your issues, and portray yourself as the kind of person who very likely is way too wrapped up in other people's business (regardless of where they air their dirty laundry)? Am I reading you right?

There's a remarkable pot:kettle thing going on here.

I said WHAT WHAT??....