Diet Coke

Options
I've been addicted to Diet Coke for years. I've never believed that it made me fat. It was years of eating at least 3,000 calories a day that made me fat! I've also lost weight while drinking at least 2 cans a day. However, recently I decided to give up Diet Coke (and meat as well) to help balance my Ph levels and live a healthier and more natural lifestyle. I am really surprised by the difference! I've really been struggling with bloating till now. I would get so bloated that I'd look at least 4 months pregnant. Sooo embarrassing! But today (after a week of no Diet Coke - I replaced it with green tea) my husband commented on how flat my tummy looks. I checked myself out in the mirror and I'm so shocked! My stomach is almost completely flat!!! :smile: The only thing I've done differently is eliminating Diet Coke and meat (although I ate very little meat before anyhow).
Anyone else notice positive changes when giving up diet soda?

Replies

• koriebrownie
    koriebrownie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I gave up Diet DP and now I can fit in a size smaller pants. I still have a few sips here and there. But, I'm going on 3 mos.
  • klhain
    klhain Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely inspired to give it a try! Do you drink carbonated water?
  • carissalynn82
    Options
    I have friends that drink carbonated water, but I can't stand the stuff. I've always hated green tea but now I'm really liking it. I drank it three times today! I use stevia to sweeten it a little.
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    im addicted to diet pepsi...ive been wondering if it would make a difference...i would like to stop drinking it cuz im trying to eat clean (drink clean lol) and thats really the only thing im screwing up on is drinking those.
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration! I'm totally addicted to Diet Pepsi, but I'm working on it. I'm down to 2 cans a day. I just don't think I can function without the little caffeine kick right now! Anyway, your post made me think that I really do want to give it up.
  • futurefitgirl
    Options
    I completely gave up diet soda (and regular for that matter) when I was strictly losing weight. I lost 100 lbs in 8 months and I am positive that I couldn't have done it as fast without giving up soda. Not only does it bloat you horribly but it is just really bad for you all around. It makes you crave sweets too. I replaced soda with water and green tea and I felt SO great. It really does work. It can be difficult at first but after about a week you don't even miss it! If you are considering trying it, DO IT!! You will be surprised by the results. :drinker:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I was a hard core Diet Coke addict for YEARS. I never even considered going off it until my sister convinced me that the aspertame in diet pop could be making my joint pain even worse. I switched to regular Coke or Pepsi but limited it to 1-2 bottles a day.

After I started tracking my food on here, it only took a few months of staring at those 150 empty, useless calories every evening to make the pop taste really bad.:grumble: I knew I couldn't eliminate caffeine completely at night because I wake up with a horrendous caffeine headache. I switched to Green Tea at bedtime (not realizing that it only had 1/2 the caffeine of pop) and I have been a tea drinker ever since. No headaches No bloating No insomnia No getting up 3-4 times at night to visit the loo.

Now I wonder why I resisted quitting for so long.:happy:
  • jennb5255
    jennb5255 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I use to drink A LOT of Mt. Dew daily. Then last week when I started this I decided to cut back the amount that I was drinking and limit it to only 1 can a day. I'm doing great with it and my stomach doesn't look nearly as bloated as it was. I plan to completely give it up in about a month or sooner. Not only did I decide to start losing weight and cut back the pop I also quit smoking. I have been drinking lots of water and I am finding that I don't have the craving for pop like I did before!!!
  • kankan213
    Options
    I'm gonna do it! I find that when I drink diet soda I eliminate water. BAD! I am also always bloated. I am doing this! Thank you for your post!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    :tongue: i.dont hardly drink diet coke i know that it not good for you with all the sodium it has in it but sometimes it dose taste good
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    I've had a hard time, too, but I'm down to about 3 cans a week max, and some weeks none.
    To transition, I've been drinking Crystal Light (which you can mix with soda water or ice to dillute the bad effects of sacchrine/aspartame, etc) and also chewing on lots of ice and gum. I also made ice pops with the diet coke so that I had to make it last longer.
  • kaydtc
    Options
    Oh no, reading this has just proved what I thought ... I really need to give up the Diet Coke! The problem is everything else has calories in it :sad: I drink normally about 1 litre a day, its so easy to justify it because it has no calories in but I suspect that this is responsible for my bloating!!! Ah well, suppose I better start looking at other low/no calorie options!
  • jigs
    jigs Posts: 70
    Options
    Kudos to all who have given up soda. I was drinking at least 3 Cokes a day. I know that contributed to my weight gain, but it is sooooo haaaaard to give up. :sad:
    I was down to one a day, but lately I've crept up to two. Thanks for the inspiration to be strong and give it up.
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post! I needed it today. I stopped drinking diet soda a month or so ago. I felt instantly improved. I decided that if I wanted to occasionally allow myself a soda, then I needed to go with regular (opting for a natural soda whenever possible) and just work it into my calorie count for the day. This really only happens a couple times a month.

However, today I had a relapse. I had been out on vacation in a different time zone over the long weekend, and this week I have been exhausted. Today I grabbed a diet mountain dew. (I know -- it's about as healthy as drinking battery acid!).

Anyway, it has proven something to me. I realize that it is my responsibility to myself to make sure I get enough rest and stay hydrated, so that I don't need these chemicals for energy! Besides, when I rely on caffeine then I just have a hard time getting to sleep at night....which means more caffeine the next day. It's a vicious cycle!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to give up the carbonation. I drink 1 diet soda in the morning (I know I could give that up easy and go to green tea), but I love carbonated water (they kind that has nothing added i.e. sodium, artificial sweeteners) and drink like 4 a day. Good job to everyone that has given up the carbonation.