Thinking about getting a gps watch???

Options
I am thinking about getting a Garmin Forerunner 205 GPS watch to track my running. Is it worth getting? I am fairly new running (only been running for about 3 months now) Should I wait a few more months or not. i would greatly appreciate opinions

Replies

• wkffighter
    Options
    that's a good idea i was looking at calorie counting watches that track your burned calories during your workouts
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    depends on how much you care about pace and distance and what kind of training you are planning on doing.

I have had the 205, 301 and now have the 110. If you are going to use it, it is well worth the money.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    how is the 110? I care alot about the pace, distance, calories burned is a plus and so is the HRM
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    110 is fine in my opinion. the only features it doesn't have that I wish it did was:

lap distance/time - it only shows total if you are lapping. This makes running intervals for time a little annoying as you have to look at the total time and then add your interval time in.

Ability to review w/o laps on the watch. Maybe you can do this and I just haven't figured out yet.

I had the 205 and the 301 for years and loved them both. When it came time for me to get a new one, I just found that a lot of the features they had I just NEVER used (like virtual race partner or loading up workouts on the watch and having it tell me what to do). I therefore cheaped out and got the base model.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I have a 305 and I love it but I cant wait to upgrade to the 410. Dont know what the differance is between the 205 and 305. I would say get it as soon as possible why wait.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've been using a Garmin for several years (first a 305 now a 610) and I think they're a great training tool. Their logging software is great if you're a data junkie. (and you can have fun with the Training Center software exporting runs to Google earth)
  • kgprice11
    Options
    I am really thinking about the 205. What are the pro's and con's of it from the people who have used it or still have it
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I like my 405 although I am having trouble with the ANT agent and uploading info to my computer... it had worked before but now it does not?? Anyway, it gives you distance, pace, HR, etc... I got mine at Costco for a good price.
  • kgprice11
    Options
    I like my 405 although I am having trouble with the ANT agent and uploading info to my computer... it had worked before but now it does not?? Anyway, it gives you distance, pace, HR, etc... I got mine at Costco for a good price.

wat did you get it for?
  • repoocekim729
    repoocekim729 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Worth every penny !!!!
    My garmin forerunner 110 gives me everything i need
  • josiereside
    Options

wat did you get it for?

Not sure I am understanding your question but I got it because I wanted to be able to track distance and pace.
  • kgprice11
    Options
    Sorry I meant what price did you pay for it?
  • josiereside
    Options
    Sorry I meant what price did you pay for it?

Sorry! :embarassed: I think I spent about $165 if I remember correctly.
  • ryan1012
    ryan1012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you're not in hurry, keep an eye on amazon. I got the 405 with the HR strap for 134 about 2 weeks ago. It's the green one but doesn't bother me.
  • kgprice11
    Options
    If you're not in hurry, keep an eye on amazon. I got the 405 with the HR strap for 134 about 2 weeks ago. It's the green one but doesn't bother me.
    wow thats a deal thanks for the heads up
  • mszebra
    mszebra Posts: 94
    Options
    I have a 305 and I love it but I cant wait to upgrade to the 410. Dont know what the differance is between the 205 and 305. I would say get it as soon as possible why wait.

Same. I have had the 305 for a while now and can't wait to upgrade.
  • kleverkira
    kleverkira Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you just started running, you might want to go with something a little cheaper. If you have a smartphone, RunKeeper or even the Garmin app on that will track you via GPS. Then, if you decide that isn't sufficient, you can get a GPS watch. I have the 305 and I LOVE it. I don't know what I would do without it, but I also don't use the virtual running partner or some of the other features, in part because I haven't sat down with it and figured it out.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I've got a Garmin Forerunner 110 and it was money well spent. Love that it tracks not just calories but distance, routes, speed etc. Although it's technically for running, I also use it for hiking, so I can also see the gradients and mountains I have climbed. You just hook it up to your computer afterwards, load it up to the Garmin website and then compare different runs, workouts etc.
  • kgprice11
    Options
    I've got a Garmin Forerunner 110 and it was money well spent. Love that it tracks not just calories but distance, routes, speed etc. Although it's technically for running, I also use it for hiking, so I can also see the gradients and mountains I have climbed. You just hook it up to your computer afterwards, load it up to the Garmin website and then compare different runs, workouts etc.

I know the 110 is the lower version of the Garmin series and one of the cheapest ones. I was looking into that one too. Would you recommend it for me being a new runner (4 months in). Also I do not have an iphone/smartphone but I use an app on my ipod but I want to upgrade now haha
  • mathiasg
    mathiasg Posts: 32
    Options
    Stay away from the Garmin 405x. I like the HRM and the GPS, but the bezel is a major pain in the *kitten*.