Losing my job

Options
Hey guys. I'm a few weeks into my journey and everything is going really well. I’ve lost a lot and feel great! However, I just received news that my company has lost it's contract. As a result, I am being let go , along with 370 other people and my boyfriend. I don’t want to cancel my gym membership or start buying cheap food. Being healthy costs a bit more but it's been worth it. If I find myself having to scale back, what can I do to stay on track? This has been very depressing and I find myself craving comfort foods and wanting to snack much more. I realize this is because of stress but I cannot help myself. A few days ago I blew through my daily calories before lunch, and was miserable and hungry all day. What can I do to stay motivated? I refuse to let this ruin my hard work.

Replies

• fiftyfour23
    fiftyfour23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    First, keep your chin up. When one door closes, another one opens. As far as excersize, walking and running, parks...all free. Go out and play when you have time. As far as inexpensive healthy food...I don't do the shopping in my house so that is beyond my pervue.
  • miss_september
    Options
    My husband and I are on a fairly limited budget as well, so our food choices aren't always "perfect" as far as health is concerned, but they are affordable. When I find that I have to eat higher-calorie foods because that is what we have to eat (like pbj for lunch, etc.) I just work out extra to burn the extra calories. As far as meeting needs for things like protein, fat, carbs, etc. it really can be done. We do a lot of canned and frozen veggies (try to buy unsalted ones), and beans are a great source of fiber and protein--just higher calorie so work out a little more. I also so things like soup with lots of veggies to make things like meat go further. As to the gym, I cannot afford a gym membership so I run/walk/bike and do other exercises like push ups, crunches etc. at home and outside, and we bought Jillian Michael's 30 day shred (which is *awesome*) last year, a great $10 investment! Instead of focusing on what is going to be harder, try to look at this as a challenge, then when you are in a good financial place again you can reassess. Sorry to hear about your jobs, but good luck!!
  • dnthaveasn
    dnthaveasn Posts: 113
    Options
    I'm sorry about you losing your job.

Walking/running outside is cheaper. Walking or running up hill or walking stairs. When I couldn't afford to go to the gym, I started using stuff around the house as weights. For me it was do lunges while have a gallon of water in both hands. Workout videos are cheap at walmart. YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • weightlossloser13
    Options
    My boyfriend went through a period where he was so dead broke between school and a poorly paying job that his food budget was literally about $30/month. And he made it work, and he lost a lot of weight on it.

His daily meals consisted of a bowl of oatmeal in the morning, lunch was a full bag of frozen veggies with some Cheesy Ragu sauce on it and dinner was one of those Knorr instant pasta packet things. He also drank 2+cups of V8 and a yogurt for a snack somewhere throughout the day. If he had an additional craving, he had a peanut butter sandwich (no jelly) for some protein. And that was literally all he could *afford* to eat. It's boring, and it's certainly not ideal (especially in my case, I don't do well with a routine meal-plan, I need variation) but it worked wonders. This was before I met him, but he went from 300lbs to 180lbs. And he wasn't working out at all on this plan, he didn't have the time (full time school plus full time job working at a gas station >_<).

He maintained the weight for about a year before getting back up to 250lbs because we started dating and I show my love by cooking. A lot. And I mean A LOT. From scratch brownies, cookies, enchiladas, pizza, burgers, you name it, I was cooking it. So we both gained a lot of weight in the initial months of dating.

I was yo-yoing between 160 and 170 at the time, but the excessive cooking and baking caused us both to gain weight. So now we're trying to lose it again, each in our own way. He has returned to his previous meal plan, deprived as it may seem, and has lost 20lbs so far. So I know that it works, and I know that it is maintainable.

While it seems like not much, and it certainly isn't varied, I know that it works and it's cheap. Hope that it helps, at least in some way. =)

And I will think good thoughts for you to find a new and better more awesome job.

Also, does your gym have a working membership? Mine does: work for so many hours for them for free, in whatever capacity and you get a free membership. You should consider looking into it.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    First my sympathies...I know what it is like. My husband has been unemployed for a while.

My suggestion is that you plan out your menus ahead of time. And do your grocery shopping at Walmart. Buy frozen chicken breasts in the bulk pack and use those a lot. You can also buy frozen veggies and they are usually flash frozen so the vitamins are not lost. I hope this helps. Also, canned tuna is a good cheap protein.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm in the same boat as you, having just lost my job. I know you don't want to but ditch the gym membership, thats money that can go towards your food budget and you can replace it with walking/jogging outside or dancing and using youtube for workout classes. You don't even need to spend out on DVDs. I have been doing Jillian's 30 day shred via you tube.

Good quality food can be done on a budget, it just might require a bit more thought. Consider having a 'meatless' day each week. Meat tends to be the most expensive component of a meal. For fruit and veggies, don't be afraid of frozen ones. If you have a slow cooker (i think its called a crock pot in America) there are some great recipes that you can make which don't cost a lot. Shop carefully, look for items which are reduced and if you can use it, buy them, freeze them. Meal plan if you can, that helps you make the most of all your ingredients and cut down on food wastage.

This: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=33 is an excellent (mainly UK) forum based around people living 'old style' lives - this means cooking good healthy nutritious meals from scratch for minimum spend. It'll also give you tips on how to reduce various expenditure on things like detergents and cleaning products.

Its really important to keep a routine going while you're not working and looking for another one - this is a good time to fit in a workout from home, so by the time you are back in employment, it is second nature.

Good luck through this next period, try not to let this jeopardize your progress to date.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I also agree that you can walk/run outside if you have to give up your gym. I have a gym membership but spend more time outside running because I get bored on a treadmill.
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    I have been there and you can get through this! Plenty of cheap, healthy foods you can eat. Eggs, beans, lentils, brown rice - dried versions of beans are very cheap and incredibly healthy. I would just spend extra time at the grocery store looking over all of my options, including some options you may have previously passed up. There are also lots resources online like http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/ and many others.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    first start getting your ducks in a row to collect unemployment while you look for a new job (if you're in the US). start looking for a new position now and getting any references as well
    quality food can definitely be done on a budget. make sure to go to farmer's markets and check sales. meal planning ahead of time is also crucial because that way you can cope out any deals.

i just spent the past 6 months unemployed and my eating improved drastically because i had time to make my own healthy meals instead of getting takeout like i did all the time with my job.

good luck!
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Look at food as fuel and not as something to comfort you...... Feed your body filling fiber filled foods that will keep you full.
    Beans are inexpensive and good for you... so use those in pasta dishes and soups to add substance....... Chicken is not expensive-- bake or grill it- not breaded or fried......

and although salad fixings can be pricey- shop what is in season and you will get more bang for your buck.. farmers markets at end of day, they will barter with you rather than have to lug it back home....
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    don't let this bump in the road ruin all your hard work. the economy took your job are you going to let it take the pounds you LOST too! if you just joined the gym talk with them see if there's something you can do. you may need to freeze it if you can't afford it. remember it's the summer time to get outside and work out. yes healthy food tends to cost more money but what if you started to make from scratch a lot of the foods you eat. ex: i just found out i can buy tanini paste at trader joes for less than $2 and chick peas for around $1.25 - homemade hummus for less than the packaged stuff and probably better for me. use garlic: buy garlic cloves and crush them yourself (stress reliever) instead of already crushed garlic in a jar. learn to make your own granola bars. instead of instant oatmeal go for the stuff you have to cook cheaper in the long run.

go outside and run or check out local rec centers for classes you can take - boxing perhaps. something to do and release stress. :) good luck.
    Hey guys. I'm a few weeks into my journey and everything is going really well. I’ve lost a lot and feel great! However, I just received news that my company has lost it's contract. As a result, I am being let go , along with 370 other people and my boyfriend. I don’t want to cancel my gym membership or start buying cheap food. Being healthy costs a bit more but it's been worth it. If I find myself having to scale back, what can I do to stay on track? This has been very depressing and I find myself craving comfort foods and wanting to snack much more. I realize this is because of stress but I cannot help myself. A few days ago I blew through my daily calories before lunch, and was miserable and hungry all day. What can I do to stay motivated? I refuse to let this ruin my hard work.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're losing your job. That's a tough break, and I wish you the best in finding something else.

As for food, how about a few crockpot meals that will give you leftovers? I started making soups and freezing them, which if you still have some time on the job, you can prepare things ahead, freeze them and then you will have some backup food for when you're home more often.

There are also other great recipes (non-soup) that people love. Just google crockpot or visit flylady.net. Probably recipes on this site too.

If you don't have a crockpot, you can still make food ahead of time and freeze it. If you can stock up on essentials like shampoo, toiletries, etc. to reduce the number of times you have to go the store, you'll save money that way, too.

FYI, there's a group called SHARE that for a small amount of money, you can get a few bags of groceries at the end of the month. It's non-profit. A lot of churches are distribution points, and you can volunteer to help, too. They basically buy food wholesale and pass on the savings to people who buy into it. It's a couple of bags at the end of the month I think. My mother's church used to do it and plenty of people bought SHARE food packages.

I just googled it and the one I found seems to be specific to the mid-Atlantic/Northeast, but I think it has national reach. Here's the one site I found (http://sharefoodprogram.org/)

Good luck!
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that you have lost your job. I wouldn't wish that on anyone having gone through it with my husband in the past. My suggestion is to buy your meats at the grocer that has been marked down and immediately freeze it. You can get frozen fruits and vegetables as well. When my husband lost his job, I started creating a 2 week menu for our dinners and shopped only based on that menu, besides the breakfast and lunch items which was minimal. This method saved us a lot of money and I still use it today even though he now has a great paying job.

Also, see if a gym is hiring, even if it's part-time. Usually, the benefit of working at a gym is being able to workout for free.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I had food stamps when I got layed off. It isn't much, but at least I could buy some healthy things to eat. Call your local office and see if you qualify (yes, you can even qualify while working as well I learned) :)
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! Ugh. I was unemployed for a year. Here is what I did:

Meat is expensive -- look for ways to do as much vegetarian friendly meals that you can. Beans are great protien and super cheap if you cook them from scratch.
    I cut out most dairy -- because it is fattening and expensive.
    When I had to buy cheap, unhealthy food I really limited my intake of it.
    Farmers Market and frozen veggies.

The simipliar the meals, usually the less expensive. Cheap, but good veggies -- carrots, celery, peas, etc. It is amazing how much you can do with assorted frozen veggies, beans, and rice.

For working out, you might want to ditch the gym and either buy or rent DVD's. You can usually rent good workout DVD's from the library - which is great for variety.

Right before I was laid off (I knew it was coming) - I spent $75 and had a personal trainer create an in-home workout for me based on what I had available (just dumbbells, at the time). It helped me lose a ton of inches and I had a program that I could do outside of a gym.

Good luck! It can be done if you stick to it and get creative :)
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your jobs. My husband was laid off 11 days ago so his last check went to rent and the rest of it has gone to food. We are doing the best we can to ration what we have til unemployment kicks in. Great value veggies in a bag in the frozen foods are cheap. hamburg in the tubes are pretty inexpensive.
  • skottikins
    skottikins Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the good wishes! I will take all this advice and make it work. I can't let this hick up ruin my chances at getting healthy.
  • MrUgly
    MrUgly Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The freezer is your friend. Find recipes the two of you enjoy and buy the ingredients in bulk, then make a ton. It may be repetitive, but I make my breakfasts and lunches for two weeks for about $50, and it's mostly vegan. (That's a health choice, not a suggestion)

It works out that the both of you are home so you have time to cook.