sodium

Options
is 2500 mg to much???

Replies

• Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You have to see what's right for you!

If you eat a lot of processed foods, or add a lot of salt to your diet, then you can easily go by that - but I wouldn't!! It seems to be the level that MFP automatically sets you at, but of course you can lower it if you want to!! :)
  • sigma54
    sigma54 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    According to Health Canada (http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/sodium/index-eng.php), the recommended amount of sodium is 1500 mg per day up to 2300 mg as the upper limit. Of course, these are just suggestions so, as an example, if you drink lots and lots of water, you may need somewhat more sodium to replace the amount lost through increased excretion than someone who drinks much less.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as your blood pressure and blood analysis results continue to come out ok and your doctor has not suggested lowering your sodium consumption.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I've been on hypertension meds off and on since the mid 1980s. My weight seems to be the most important factor affecting my blood pressure; sodium intake doesn't seem to affect it all that much. I avoid heavily salted foods, but in general I don't worry that much about sodium. A few months ago, my doctor took me off one blood pressure medication ... it was due to my losing 40+ pounds, not to my reducing sodium in my diet. A number of articles I've read suggest genetics is an important component of sodium sensitivity, as well as race and age. As in all things, I suggest checking with your doctor and/or cardiologist. Don't depend on amateur medical advice from forums like this one. ;)