Kombucha question.

Options
trijoe
trijoe Posts: 729 Member
Any kombucha drinkers out there? And if so I have an odd little question.

I have some children who have tummy issues, and we're working toward a more healthful, healing type diet. Which, of course, would include kombucha. We've tried many of the GT brands, and honestly, they're pretty darn delicious. The problem is, every time I've finished a bottle, I feel like I've got this nice afternoon buzz going. I can tell they're at least mildly alcoholic. Like it or not.

Does anybody know if making my own will be just as alcoholic? Or will making my own be better worse? And are there ways to control just how much alcohol is produced? Kombucha could be well loved in our house, but not if it's gonna give my daughters hangovers...

Thanks.

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I think the longer it ferments the more alcoholic. I too noticed the alc. content to some extent. They pulled the GT from grocery store shelves for a while after the alc. content came out. I don't know if GT changed something or what.

I made it at home for a while. It's fun but I got tired of one more thing to take care of. It's a little gross looking. No one here but me would ever try it, because it has floaties.
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I tried a number of brands of Kombucha and never had any kind of 'buzz'. Of course, there was a period a couple of years ago when Kombucha was being pulled off the shelves at Whole Foods due to concerns that the alcohol level was higher than 0.5 percent. Drinks with higher than 0.5 percent require warning labels. So, check the label. If it doesn't have an alcohol warning, it should be less than 0.5 percent.

Here is an interesting article regarding Alcohol and Kombucha.
    http://www.happyherbalist.com/kombuchaandalcohol.aspx

You could also try some of the Yogi Tea brand bagged teas that have Kombucha. They might not be as potent as freshly made liquid varieties, but they shouldn't have any alcohol.

This article seems to indicate that homebrewing 'can' be problematic with respect to alcohol, but there are some control suggestions in the comments.
    http://kombuchatea.tribe.net/thread/2ae5b369-0763-4c5a-a2f5-782c49ccf797

Good luck!
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Try the KeVita Probiotic drinks - fizzy, no buzz, and fruity. Low sugar too, except for the Honey Ginger Lemon flavor. I love 'em!