Stuck already???

Options
ok so am about a month or so in, and I am plateaued already? thats a bit disheartening...

I am eating 1200 -1500 cals a day depending on what my excercise is for that day.

excercise that i am doing:

M - 30 min elliptical [climbing hills] + 30 min brisk walk or c25k
T - 1 hr zumba + 30 min brisk walk
W - 30 min elliptical [climbing hills] + 30 min brisk walk or c25k
Th - 1 hr zumba + 30 min brisk walk
F - 30 min elliptical [climbing hills] + 30 min brisk walk or c25k

sat + sun - 30 min or more brisk walk with the dog

some days i also do the shred. and am looking into p90x not sure i am ready for that one yet.

so i am doing a good variety of stuff so that I don't get bored or my body stuck on doing just one thing
I also hope to go back to swimming 2x week once the pool reopens...
just a normal pause til body catches up on all my good doing? or am i plateaued? :sad:

thanks
PG :flowerforyou:

ps am currently 8 lbs down at 217 now... aiming for about 180 and then will reassess.

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    How long has it been that you haven't lost. I just went through a month and the scale gods have finally smiled on me again
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    about a week ish.... i am not ready to be stalled already :sad: this is when i get disheartened and fall off the wagon!
  • farmgirlh
    Options
    Take a look at what you are eating and how much of it is processed foods and also check your sodium intake that could be an issue also.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    A week is not long enough to determine whether or not you have hit a plateau. It what period of time did you lose the 8lbs? If it was fast your body might just be compensating. Or it sould be water retention. It could be any number of things really, but a plateau is highly unlikely. Don't worry about it. Keep doing what you are doing. The weight will come off. For some people they see consistent numbers every week, others don't.
  • hgirl1021
    Options
    about a week ish.... i am not ready to be stalled already :sad: this is when i get disheartened and fall off the wagon!

don't fall!! we're all here for your motivational and support! just think that if you get disheartened and fall, you have to start ALL over again!! you're already in forward motion, so keep it up! try switching things up. i've seen suggestions on this site about raising your calories for one week, then dropping them the next. or try switching up ur exercise routine. don't get me wrong, it sounds like a great one! (more than i can say for myself:laugh: ) but perhaps your body is tolerant to what you're doing now and just needs it switched up a bit. but don't give up!!! we know you can do it. keep ur head up and keep coming here! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Magenta15
    Options
    hmmm okie doke...
    my sodium is pretty good, i eat minimal processed foods :)

my sugar is often over a few grams because of fruit so I am trying to lay off the fruit a bit more which shouldn't be too hard with fall approaching....but it wasn't a problem when i was eating fruit for breakfast and snacks before i was still losing... i lost the 8 lbs over about a 4-5 week period.
  • Magenta15
    Options
    thanks hgirl :)
    thanks everyone:flowerforyou:
  • annaliza
    Options
    I agree with KatWood....a week isn't really long enough to determine that you are on a plateau. I've been stuck for a month and a half....I am plateau'd.

I don't agree with you eating less fruit. Fruit sugar is not a bad thing...and eating fruit is MUCH better than most other things you can eat. It's filling and nutritious....just don't drink a lot of fruit juice or eat a lot of dried fruit (there's a post from Banks on how fruit affects your glucose levels...which basically says that dried and juice is not great for you sugar-wise).

I say stick with it....I don't think you are plateau-ing so much....rather, I think that your body is adjusting. Wait for another week or two and see how the scale does for you before you make any drastic changes.

Besides....you KNOW that you get disheartened when this happens. Since you are armed with that information, you can prevent yourself from falling off the wagon. It's all in the mind, my dear :wink:

Just my opinion. :drinker:
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It happens. It's frustrating. I called my sister (& MFP friend) yesterday because I was so upset. I was UP two pounds after doing everything I was supposed to do. This morning, I am DOWN that 2 pounds and 1/2 more.

HAng in there. YOU do the right things. YOUR WEIGHT will catch up with you. Sometimes when we eat bad it doesn't pop up instantly either. You WILL get there.

Susan
  • Magenta15
    Options
    thanks...yeah i have kept eating the fruit cuz i knew that fruit sugars were ok, and have been losing eating those things, like you said it's better then bad things i could be eating :) at least it's natural.

am hoping i am just adjusting like you all say,
    people keep commenting on me and how i look, but i just dont see the changes yet
    and don't want to lose the plot before i do :laugh:

thanks for the encouragement all :happy:
  • KatWood
    Options
    8lbs is pretty aggressive over a 4-5 wk period. I think you should stick to your current diet and workout plan for at least another week or two before making any changes. Continue to log everything and wait and see what happens. Remember patience is very very important to being successful. If you eat well and exercise regularly eventually you will lose the weight, but it will take time. Have faith, it really will work, in fact you have already seen results. Also, losing it slowly increases the chance you will keep it off. Think about it this way, if you stick with it you will eventually reach your goal, if you give up you have no chance to ever reach it.

Wayne Gretzky summed this up great by saying "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.":wink:
  • KatWood
    Options
    Oh and I wanted to add that scales can be evil and do not necessarily fairly represent our hard work and the results we have achieved :flowerforyou:

Weight in the end is just a number. We really need to focus less on the number and more on how we feel and our health in general. I know some pretty unhealthy 120lb women ... just saying:happy:
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    About every 30 days is when you need to change things up. Have you tried high intensity intervals with your cardio? There was a great article in the latest Hers Muscle and Fitness about it with some good plans. I've always had success with intervals when I hit this phase. But as a rule of thumb, you should be switching up the exercise routine every 4 weeks.

Hope this helps! Good luck! Just remember this is a journey...not a sprint! You can do it.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Well goodness. You're just starting out. You're body's probably thinking WTH?! I say take a break!! I'm serious. Let your body rest for a day. You really don't need to be working out every single day. Besides, you'll burn yourself out or get bored really quick for a beginner. Give your body a break. I'm sure that this early into you, it might seem kinda scary. But give it a try anyway. The weight will come off. It's a gradual thing. You do this, and I'll bet that you see a loss. :wink:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    You probably already read this, but this article is invaluable!!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

In the article above Banks explains this:

"Phase 2. Reality setting in."

"At about week 3 to a month or so, people suddenly realize that they are no longer dropping 8, 6, or even 4 lbs a week. This is a crutial phase in your journey. Expect this, it is natural. You have shocked your body by changing both eating habits and exercise routine. Now it has had a little while to become used to the new lifestyle, it's going to compensate. Your body still doesn't believe it's permenant yet, so it will still try to store some fat, so now that it knows how to regulate it's new metabolic levels, it tryies to store fat in earnest. It's not uncommon for people to hit a wall here, no loss for weeks. Expect this as well."

Reading that really helped me to understand what was going on. :)

Don't give up!!!!!!! You're going in the right direction!

But again, yes, you might want to give your body a rest a couple days a week, as Marianne suggested. :)
  • Magenta15
    Options
    oooh i def do not expect numbers like that per week :noway: tho it would be nice :laugh:

but you know a .5 wouldn't hurt either LOL

i do count my weekends as my "rest" days but i still walk cuz, well lets face it i have too - lol have you looked at my picture? that dog needs to get out :laugh:

i guess with the amount i could stand to lose i didn't expect to hit this already :blushing:

won't give up tho! i still want that WOW at the airport, even if it's not a 40 lb WOW as i had hoped :smooched:
  • Magenta15
    Options
    i should add, now that i've B'tched and moaned and whined about it to all of you shamelessly...the scale will prob drop tomorrow just to make me look foolish:laugh:
    but hey im ok with that:tongue:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I bet you see a big difference next week. It's just like that. Don't get discouraged, when I looked at all you were doing, it was inspiring! Honestly!!!

I was just sitting here admiring your commitment!!! And ya I think walking on your 'off' days is very cool. But then again you could just get a saddle... hee hee.

I love him/her though!! I had a blue dane years ago. I've got four big dogs now too, but none that size!!!

But again, your courage and determination is astounding, and worthy of admiration! It will pay off! It will!
  • Magenta15
    Options
    many thank you's :)
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    I am so glad Polliesgirl started this thread! I have been so down this week because the scale said I gained a pound! I have been eating well and exercising more than ever. The 1st month on here I lost 12 pounds. It is hard to not see a change for once. All of your responses were so good to hear. I am going to keep going strong. Thank you everyone!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: