workout becomes addictive???

Options
2»

Replies

• olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    For me, it's simply getting on the machine that is the hardest. I have a cybex machine at home, which I love to workout on. My issue is just getting on!!! I can find many excuses to procrastinate (laundry, picking up things around the house...) , then my hubby says, "just start". Before I know it, I'm finished with my hour an often wanting to go and extra 20-30 minutes.

I've never regretted working out. I've only regretted NOT working out.
  • EbonySD
    EbonySD Posts: 142
    Options
    I think our excitement about weight loss and working out has its ebs and flows. Sometimes you all "eye of the tiger" and sometimes your dragging yourself to go for a simple walk.

The reality is thats ok and perfectly normal. I try to remind myself of this and that means I allow myself to work through it and that might mean no hardcore cardio for a week when I'm feeling like a slob, maybe just simple walks and yoga. I'm ok with it only because I know I'm not going to quit and that tomorrow is another day and I'll be back on it.

For example, I've been walking 3-4 miles a day for most of last month. Did absolutely nothing for weight loss. But I had to go through it in order to get refocused. I just finished day 6 of insanity and I'm determined to see it through because I know what it takes to get results.

Success is a journey, not a destination. Once we get to our goal weight, we have to continue to work to maintain that weight.
  • seardefilip
    Options
    THANKS YOU GUYS- THIS ENCOURAGEMENT IS WHAT I NEEDED TO GET TO THE GYM TODAY- AND I DO WANT IT- I WANT IT SO WILL CHANGE MY VOCABULARY TO REFLECT THAT AS WELL-
    :)
    THANKS AGAIN YOU GUYS!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem too. I had a membership for an entire year and didn't go once. Then I switched gyms and put money down on 12 sessions with a personal trainer. Working out with a trainer is so fun and I learned so many cool exercises that I would never do on my own. The motivation was great and he was an amazing encourager. I saw some results and decided to keep going with the training and bought 12 more sessions. Then I got addicted about bought 12 more sessions. Now I'm addicted to creating my own circuit sessions. This morning I did a 5 circuit workout including suicides, lunges to curls with 15 lb dumb bells on a bosu ball, updowns with 12.5 lb dumb bells with an added row, jump rope, and crazy ivans with a 20 lb medicine ball. I do circuit workouts 4-5 days a week and it qualifies as weight training and cardio :):) Never boring cuz there it so much to do.

I suggest investing in a few sessions with a trainer. :)

Hezz
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I think our excitement about weight loss and working out has its ebs and flows. Sometimes you all "eye of the tiger" and sometimes your dragging yourself to go for a simple walk.

The reality is thats ok and perfectly normal. I try to remind myself of this and that means I allow myself to work through it and that might mean no hardcore cardio for a week when I'm feeling like a slob, maybe just simple walks and yoga. I'm ok with it only because I know I'm not going to quit and that tomorrow is another day and I'll be back on it.

For example, I've been walking 3-4 miles a day for most of last month. Did absolutely nothing for weight loss. But I had to go through it in order to get refocused. I just finished day 6 of insanity and I'm determined to see it through because I know what it takes to get results.

Success is a journey, not a destination. Once we get to our goal weight, we have to continue to work to maintain that weight.

Perfection :heart:
  • becki1815
    becki1815 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Zumba is amazing - I wish I had the time to do it every day. If you don't click with the instructor - find another one! I've been to several, they are NOT all the same.

In the beginning, I had to talk myself into going, all those same excuses you were saying. I have NEVER ONCE left a workout and said "I wish I hadn't come". But I have often sat at home and said "I wish I had gone".

As far as enjoying it, your body stores energy for your use. When you begin an exercise routine, your body isn't expecting the extra energy need and you run out. Then your muscles get sore. But as you continue to work out, your body learns your new needs and starts making/storing more energy for your use. The soreness stops. Exercise releases endorphins, those happy little hormones. No matter how crappy my day was, Zumba and the endorphins fix it all. I can go home to tackle anything.
  • CaSome11
    CaSome11 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree that your motivation will ebb and flow. Sometimes I am raring to go and sometimes I would rather lay around all day. On the "down days" I force myself. I put my workout into my exercise diary ahead of time so I can see the calories that I am going to burn. That usually gets me going.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Thanks-
    Yes, we have talked about it- my husband and I- - its just one of those struggles-
    I do want this for me, that is why I keep on, I do like the thought of Zumba, but classes intimidate me-

Do you happen to have a Wii or any other game systems? I know you can get Zumba for Wii and I'm sure some other systems as well.
  • seardefilip
    Options
    I agree that your motivation will ebb and flow. Sometimes I am raring to go and sometimes I would rather lay around all day. On the "down days" I force myself. I put my workout into my exercise diary ahead of time so I can see the calories that I am going to burn. That usually gets me going.

I do like to see calories being burned up-
    :) that motivates me once I get going for sure!
  • girlonfire15
    girlonfire15 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    After three or so years of dabbling in exercise, it finally ceased to become a chore and became something I somewhat looked forward to at the beginning of this summer. I couldn't tell you exactly why, but I think part of it is because I've become really competitive with fitness. I'm a cadet and I really want to beat out other people in the PT test.

Hang in there, if you enjoyed it before I'm sure you'll enjoy it again!
  • lcn1220
    lcn1220 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

This, in spades.

OP: when you start having that litany of noise rolling through your head and you're wanting to bail or make excuses for not working out, shut that brain up and go on autopilot. We go on autopilot on the wrong things sometimes. Go on autopilot here, run through a mental checklist of things you need to get for the gym. I work out at home and there are days I get home and don't feel like doing a thing. When that happens I go on autopilot and methodically through my workout checklist i.e. change into workout clothes, get my shoes, get my weights or whatever else I need, get my water, fire up the dvd, and set a 10 minute timer and go through the warmup etc. If that 10 minutes is up, and I feel like bailing, fine...bail. But you know what? I've never bailed on a workout past 10 mins. Once I get going, I usually keep going...and it's been a really long time since I've dreaded or skipped a workout.

Shut out the noise, get a mental checklist going for what you need to do and stick with it until you're at the gym, run or whatever else you'd like to do.
  • seardefilip
    Options

This, in spades.

OP: when you start having that litany of noise rolling through your head and you're wanting to bail or make excuses for not working out, shut that brain up and go on autopilot. We go on autopilot on the wrong things sometimes. Go on autopilot here, run through a mental checklist of things you need to get for the gym. I work out at home and there are days I get home and don't feel like doing a thing. When that happens I go on autopilot and methodically through my workout checklist i.e. change into workout clothes, get my shoes, get my weights or whatever else I need, get my water, fire up the dvd, and set a 10 minute timer and go through the warmup etc. If that 10 minutes is up, and I feel like bailing, fine...bail. But you know what? I've never bailed on a workout past 10 mins. Once I get going, I usually keep going...and it's been a really long time since I've dreaded or skipped a workout.

Shut out the noise, get a mental checklist going for what you need to do and stick with it until you're at the gym, run or whatever else you'd like to do.

i like this A LOT
  • seardefilip
    Options
    Try NOT to think about it. I know it's hard. But just pick a time each day that you have available that you WILL work out (not just, IF you have time or IF you feel like it) and then just change your clothes and DO it. I don't know about you but I always feel better after my workout (cardio especially.) I think that is what can get addictive about it!

I have been going regularly for about 2 weeks now for a min of 3 days a week and also on Saturdays so will keep it up! I know it will get better- SUPPORT helps infinitely!!!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I exercise for the calories. It allows me to eat a larger meal at supper. Exercise calories taste the best!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I struggle with it, too. I just read a book that said the people who have made it a habit, it's because in their mind it's become linked to some intrinsic reward. Usually that is the endorphins or the sense of accomplishment, often from some numeric goal they have like improving their time or hitting the gym X times a week. I don't get a lot of endorphins so I focus on the numeric goals. I get attached to my Fitbit graphs and need to keep them all at a certain level.

Also, people who do it as a habit tend to just get up and do it. They have their routine down pat and there is no time for the mind to intervene with all the excuses. Get up, put on running gear, brush teeth, go. Get up, drink coffee with email for 30 minutes, go. Like that. They say you should make the decision one time-- is it worth it? If so, just do it. Re-address the decision in a year or something but not daily.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Thanks-
    Yes, we have talked about it- my husband and I- - its just one of those struggles-
    I do want this for me, that is why I keep on, I do like the thought of Zumba, but classes intimidate me-

I had to get past the intimidated by classes hurdle as well. I am in a belly dancing class right now and I am loving it! Oh, and I still have 100 lbs to lose so it isn't like I am a skinny thing shaking it out there. I can't explain how to get past it. I just have to remind myself that no body is watching me, other than the instructor to make sure that I am doing it correctly. No one is judging and if they are that is on them not me. I am on a mission and I will lose weight and dang it I am going to have fun while I am at it!

I find my whole mood takes a nose dive when I am not active on a regular basis. I try to keep moving even when it doesn't seem like I have time. What helped me stick to it is I started the Couch 2 5K (C25K) program. Three days a week I committed to going to the gym and doing the program. I didn't have to do more but the longer I did the program the more I started staying extra to lift afterward or to do other activities. Now I can go to the gym and two hours can fly away and I feel amazing afterward. :). Also I got myself a FitBit and I love seeing how active I have been. I find myself climbing more stairs and making excuses to walk more during the day even though I work a desk job. I can then parallel my crappy moods and my level of activeness and I have found a direct correlation. So with that evidence I find it a bit easier to justify getting out there and moving even if it isn't in the gym.

As to the communication and desired appreciation of your spouse. I can't help much there, I am practically a nun with how long I have been single. I just encourage you to keep doing this for YOU. I have "tried" to lose weight for other people and it never clicked until I wanted it FOR ME! Just remember that you are the one who needs this and wants this and you are the only one who can do it for you. :) So love yourself because you are beautiful and the more you love yourself the more that beauty will shine through and others will see it.

I hope some of that helps!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    It'll happen when you find a workout you really love. For me it was about a year in when I picked up weights seriously and started seeing consistent progress. Now I hate to miss a day.
  • seardefilip
    Options
    I struggle with it, too. I just read a book that said the people who have made it a habit, it's because in their mind it's become linked to some intrinsic reward. Usually that is the endorphins or the sense of accomplishment, often from some numeric goal they have like improving their time or hitting the gym X times a week. I don't get a lot of endorphins so I focus on the numeric goals. I get attached to my Fitbit graphs and need to keep them all at a certain level.

Also, people who do it as a habit tend to just get up and do it. They have their routine down pat and there is no time for the mind to intervene with all the excuses. Get up, put on running gear, brush teeth, go. Get up, drink coffee with email for 30 minutes, go. Like that. They say you should make the decision one time-- is it worth it? If so, just do it. Re-address the decision in a year or something but not daily.

WHAT BOOK :)