Coconut oil... Quinoa... I went health food shopping?

Options
2»

Replies

• kristyl_tift
    Options
    On flax seeds:
    I tend to use ground flax seeds as a crust for fish (add herbs and spices to your liking). I also add it to my nature burgers. You can put the whole or ground flax seeds on pretty much anything. It gives your meals crunch and of course fiber and Omega-3 fatty acids. Happy cooking!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    :blushing: Can I piggyback and ask what to do with flax seeds? I bought a bag last week (prob for the same reasons as the OP) and have no idea what to do with them now.

I sprinkle flax seeds on yogurt, salads and on melted cheese on a toast. You can use flaxseed meal (ground up seeds) as a substitute for eggs in recipes and also sprinkle it on oatmeal, fruits salads, etc. I just found out that the seeds need to be ground to have an effect, otherwise they just pass through your body...
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    On flax seeds:
    I tend to use ground flax seeds as a crust for fish (add herbs and spices to your liking).
    great idea! I would have never thought of it!

OP: You can use quinoa just like you'd use rice or couscous.
  • Jen_Jennings
    Jen_Jennings Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The coconut oil I bought is " spectrum" organic coconut oil.. smells like nothing, no Idea how it tastes..I have heard of people using quinoa on salads? just sprinkle it on?

try using nutiva next time for the oil. smells and tastes great. Amazon sells them in 2 packs. I use one for my skin and one to cook with.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    For other quinoa ideas, check out the web site for the Protein Bar restaurant in Chicago. Lots of different bowls, salads, and wraps incorporating quinoa that could be easily replicated at home.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds - can use it like flaxseeds.. add to your oatmeal, yogurt, etc
    Quinoa - use it in place of rice/pasta
    coconut oil - hmm.. i just know you can use it on your skin.. for cooking, maybe substitute with your regular cooking oil? sprinkle some in your salad?