Numbness in toes/feet while doing cardio (mainly eleptical)

Options
2»

Replies

• thisisjl
    thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Definitely not alone! Mine is due to the fact that my second toe is longer than my big toe...so it never goes away, but I try to get shoes with good toe cushioning.

Hmmm is this really the cause of numb feet while working out? Mine is also longer than my big toe.
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    my second toe does it on my right foot.....like someone said i think it may be constant pressure cuz mine only does it when i dance.....and i do it barefoot and tend to stay on my toes...........first time it happened i thought maybe i had broken my toe or something cuz i stubbed it earlier that day lmao
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    It happens because of CONSISTENT PRESSURE on the medial plantar nerve. And the heavier you are, the faster it happens. Easiest way to relieve pressure is to lift you feet off the pedals occasionally.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • somedaysoon84
    Options
    I have it too, seems related to the fact that you don't actually lift you foot off the ellipitical so it never gets releif from pressure. I find that getting off the ellipitical every 10 minutes for just a minute or two really helps. As for shoes, not sure as I do ellipitical barefoot.

this used to happen to me as well, and it could get unbearable. i now get off and have a 30 second stretch/ water break between miles on the elliptical, ans it doesn't happen anymore. i also rotate using my whole foot and just the ball.
  • healthyhawaii
    Options
    I have also had this happen to my big toes on each of my feet, but not while exercising ... I used to walk a lot in heels at work, and at the end of the day, I noticed that my toes would often feel numb. After a visit to the doctor, she concluded (after ruling out diabetes, which can cause numbness in extremities) that it was nerve damage caused by over-compression/overuse. I have .excessive Q angles on both my legs, and I suspect that that is what most of you have, too. This is more common for women than men due to our wider hips. Google it ... an excessive Q angle generally causes an over-pronation of the feet, in turn causing over-compression of the big toe (in my case) or other parts of the feet. Custom orthodics are one solution.

Of course, that's just one explanation ... aside from diabetes, nerve issues, etc. :)

HTH!!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    RSI: tarsal tunnel (like carpal tunnel, only in the foot).

Get off the elliptical and try something else.
  • HoneySunrise
    HoneySunrise Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My second toes are bigger too! On both feet.
  • caro1275
    caro1275 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I was having that issue when I started running and really worried it was my weight and that I wasn't going to be able to continue until I lost more... A friend suggested I tie my shoes just a little looser and that seemed to do the trick! :)

Yes to above. This also happens to me and I agree with the poster above :)
  • jameswanless
    Options
    Over pronation is rolling inward with collapsing ankles and arches. Under pronation or supination is walking on the outer edges of your feet.
  • jameswanless
    Options
    I have over pronation (walk somewhat on the outer edges of my feet).

Over pronation is rolling inward with collapsing ankles and sometimes flat arches. Under pronation or supination is rolling to the outer edges of your feet.
  • fotinidream
    Options
    I get it too. mainly on the stairclimber. it scares me. There are so many answers here. not sure which is right. my shoes aren't too small. i don't tie them too tight. I lift my foot off the surface periodically... is it really just poor circulation?
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    On the elliptical? Pedal backwards for a while - the change in movement restores the blood flow :)

This is what I was going to suggest. This happens to me also, though not all the time. I notice it's also less if I stretch first and take some time sitting half cross legged just rotating my foot gently. It just seems to help a lot before I start.
  • fotinidream
    Options
    I like this answer. makes the most sense. You def do not lift your foot off the elliptical or the stairclimber that I use either. That has to be it.
  • kaedaza
    kaedaza Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    mine was doing the same thing! ALl I had to do was make sure I was putting more weight on me heels
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem w/ numbness on the elliptical. it doesn't seem to be an issue with anything other exercise. i think the trainer who posted in this thread who suggested lifting your feet between strides might be onto something.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It happens because of CONSISTENT PRESSURE on the medial plantar nerve. And the heavier you are, the faster it happens. Easiest way to relieve pressure is to lift you feet off the pedals occasionally.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This. Also, check your laces and try loosening them a little.
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Never heard of this, I constantly get it on the stair master though, pretty sure it's due to the pressure of where my foot is hitting the end of the pedal. Who knows, makes it unbearable though.