Just a quick question..

Options
I love tuna because its so good for you and has omega 3. The bad thing about it is the sodium involved at 900mg for a full can. I think that a full can over a period of 3 hours with a snack is not bad as long as I am under my sodium level, which I am by over 900 still. My question is, is there anything really wrong with eating the whole can, which is only 250 calories, 25% cholesterol, 40% sodium and 55g of protein. I am still under all my daily values so I would figure its fine right?

Replies

• Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    I would also like to state that I am going to use lemon juice and olive oil instead of the normal mayo which is much more unhealthy.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine. Why don't u rinse the tuna?
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    What would that help? sodium? I havent heard of that
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    There are various kinds of tuna that are reduced calories as well as sodium. You have to research them a bit but they are out there. I believe that Bumblebee makes one. And another great trade for mayo is avacado if you like it.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options

If the sodium is high because of the way it's packed, then rinsing would help.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    There are various kinds of tuna that are reduced calories as well as sodium. You have to research them a bit but they are out there. I believe that Bumblebee makes one. And another great trade for mayo is avacado if you like it.

2 things, I checked all the tuna in walmart and this was the healthiest I could find. As for avocado, how would you use that? Is there a juice or liquid form?
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options

If the sodium is high because of the way it's packed, then rinsing would help.

Sounds like a good Idea, appreciate the help. I don't really know how to cook so this is about the best way I know to get omega 3 and its pretty good if you monitor what else you eat.
  • CynthiaAnnGA
    Options
    Yes, rinse your tuna & use lemon.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    any suggestions on other food that does not have to be cooked thats good in omega 3?
  • mommyweighless
    Options

2 things, I checked all the tuna in walmart and this was the healthiest I could find. As for avocado, how would you use that? Is there a juice or liquid form?

There isn't a juice or liquid form. It is a fruit. You just slice it in half, remove the pit, peel it and mix it in a blender until smooth like mayo. I add a little lime juice and salt and pepper to taste for a little more zing. I get my tuna at Sams Club which is basically Walmart and it is only 100 calories a can. It is Bumble Bee Chunk Lite Tuna. There is 180 mg of sodium per serving which is half a can.
  • mommyweighless
    Options
    You could always take a fish oil supplement but there are nuts, flax seed, shrimp(really easy to cook), tofu, soybeans, sardines(if you can stomach them), salmon(really easy to cook too), and most cheeses.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    On a side note...I love tuna with chopped onions, crushes red pepper, and a little bit of parsley. Yum!
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    Maybe I did not realize that bumble bee only had 2 servings compared to 5. That could be why I considered it higher. I will have to recheck. Thats great news.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    any suggestions on other food that does not have to be cooked thats good in omega 3?

Flax seeds (use them in recipes), sardines, and I read somewhere that walnuts have a good amount of omega 3
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I buy Wild Planet Albacore Tuna in water with no salt added. It's 250mg sodium for the whole can. Maybe see if you can find that where you are.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    You could always take a fish oil supplement but there are nuts, flax seed, shrimp(really easy to cook), tofu, soybeans, sardines(if you can stomach them), salmon(really easy to cook too), and most cheeses.

I do eat mixed nuts for a snack everyday. The biggest problem is hate most vegetables and well, I am just rather picky, so makes things pretty complicated trying to find things that work. I appreciate all the different things. I think I had sardines before and were not bad (not sure though).
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    honestly dont worry about the salt...if you have a medical issue with salt then yes watch it but if you tracked what you ate before to gain weight you probably took in 3 times more salt. Salt wont make you gain fat or stop fat loss if it worries you make sure you get your 8+ cups of water i know i dont track salt and i eat tuna like its candy can or so a day some times and my weight loss has never been effected
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    I buy Wild Planet Albacore Tuna in water with no salt added. It's 250mg sodium for the whole can. Maybe see if you can find that where you are.

Thats definitely a huge reduction in sodium. Since I still have cans of Chicken of the Sea, Im going to rinse and eat them, then go looking for a better one (looking closer this time)
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed - milled, chia seed and walnuts all have OMG-3 and have many more befits and are better for you than tuna. Flaxseed must be milled for your body to process and get the OMG-3 out of it. You can buy it in travel packets with 1,200mg of Omg3. I put it in my oatmeal and protein drinks.

Are you looking to get OMG 3 in order lower your LDL?
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    honestly dont worry about the salt...if you have a medical issue with salt then yes watch it but if you tracked what you ate before to gain weight you probably took in 3 times more salt. Salt wont make you gain fat or stop fat loss if it worries you make sure you get your 8+ cups of water i know i dont track salt and i eat tuna like its candy can or so a day some times and my weight loss has never been effected

That sounds like good news. I just know that it says 5 servings, but I know thats normally with a lot of other sides usually, I just wanted to make sure it wasnt a bad Idea. Either way its so hard to even get to 1200 calories, I have been trying. Hopefully adding lemon juice and olive oil will add a few more calories and they are healthy.