Got Milk?

Options
chrissyh
chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
Do you use skim milk or 2% milk - or whole milk?

Is there a nutritional reason for your choice?

I use skim - started drinking it years ago with the "low fat mentality" and haven't changed - just curious if one is better nutritionally.

Replies

• Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I use skim milk because it's got less calories - and only for that reason.

I like to use EVOO or Coconut oil for cooking too, so I make up the fat that way.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I get plenty of fat that's why I've stuck with it too.

I :heart: Cheese!
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i have 1% milk - just because its less calories and not as watery as skimmed milk, i heard somewhere as well that skimmed milk has more protein than whole milk?
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I drink 2% because it actually tastes like milk. I find that skim or 1% is basically water + a dribble of milk :laugh:
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    i love the Fat FREE milk! A couple of years ago i switched from 2% when someone said " Milk is for making baby cows fat!" and thats exactly what it does!! i Love milk so i switched to the Fat Free and now 2% takes like thick cream to me !
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Whole or raw milk...only in my coffee, tho.

I like cooking with heavy cream :smile: Julia Child-style.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm at 2% now but I'm about to switch over to 1% (skim?); I only use like 3/4 cup per day in my cereal. So I don't know if it's going to do me any good except that I can then drink MORE of it!
    Half and half in my one cup of coffee daily might get switched over to whole milk !
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    We were using 1% but have moved to skim to save the extra calories. All the other nutritional stuff is pretty much the same
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I drink the fat free milk or the 1% when my son bought the wrong kind. :laugh:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I use 2% because I like the consistency of it best. I was using 1%, but found it too watery.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I'm at 2% now but I'm about to switch over to 1% (skim?); I only use like 3/4 cup per day in my cereal. So I don't know if it's going to do me any good except that I can then drink MORE of it!
    Half and half in my one cup of coffee daily might get switched over to whole milk !

I use fat free half and half - it's really good
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    A quick comparison of milk nutrition labels (per 8 ounce serving) shows that it really does:

•Whole Milk - 150 Calories - 8g Fat
    •2% Milk - 120 Calories - 4.5g Fat
    •1% Milk - 100 Calories - 2.5g Fat
    •Skim Milk - 80 Calories - 0g Fat

So if you go from from Whole Milk to 1% Milk and typically drinks 3 cups of milk a day, you would save 150 calories a day. Although that doesn't sound like much, since you gain about a pound for every 3500 calories you consume, those extra 150 calories might cost you an extra pound in body weight every 3 weeks or so (150 calories/day x 23 days = 3450 calories = 1 pound).
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    I'm drinking skim milk and it looks and taste so watered down. I'm just trying to cut the fat out of my diet as much as possible. Once in a while I run out, and I drink my daughter's whole milk. It tastes sooooo gooood. It's like a milk shake.
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    When I'm drinking a glass of milk, or adding some to my cereal, I choose 1%. I use organic half and half in my coffee because I love the creaminess and the non organic is full of chemicals...I didn't know until I compared labels! I've given up sugar in my coffee, but can't give up the cream.

Mary
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I use 2%.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I drink 2% usually, but will drink skim milk. Can't stand skim milk in my tea. Try the Purefilter, or ultra fine filtered 1% - it has the consistency of 2%. I think the filtering breaks up the fat molecules so it makes it seem thicker.

I buy the 5% light cream for my coffee and especially the purefilter one is almost as good as 10% cream. It also lasts longer in the fridge, if you tend to go through your milk more slowly.

How many of you buy your milk in plastic bags? It's a truly Canadian invention - to the amusement of most of my American friends.

milk8.jpg

milk1.jpg
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    I use whole only because that is what my DH uses in his cereal and there is no point in buying two gallons when I don't drink much
  • cherie2304
    cherie2304 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I drink skim milk and again its purely due to less calories.
  • s_dimples
    Options
    I drink whole milk because of what I have seen it do for my diabetic sister. Whenever she drinks whole milk (vs. skim) her blood sugar stays in better control. This is likely due to the fact that fat and protein help slow the absorption of the carbohydrates (all from the milk) - thus causing less of an insulin spike. Spikes of insulin can cause you body to store more fat, so I feel that even with the extra calories I am getting a better outcome.
    Plus - it just tastes better, and I can be satisfied with a smaller glass.
  • hgirl1021
    Options
    Organic Skim Milk for me. Not a milk fan to begin with (think i'm partially lactose intolerant), so i use skim (for less calories) in cereal and to make chocolate milk after a workout. :happy: