For Women Only!

Options
This is a question for women only. I was wondering if you weigh yourself when you are menstrating? I was told not to do it but did it anyway yesterday and did not like the numbers i seen on the scale, Now i know I am bloated and retaining water, My hands, wrists, feet, ankles and face are all swollen. If you do weigh yourself about how much do you gain durring that time of month? and when do u notice the water weight is gone? Thank you for the help everyone.

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i haven't had a period in 7 years, but it never affected me before.

drink more water!
  • morgsgrieninger
    morgsgrieninger Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do - I tend to bloat but not swell. The key is to not look too much into those numbers - if I gain 2-3 pounds, I don't care because next week I'll drop those pounds, plus the pounds from being healthy and active my period week.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I do. I weigh every Sunday. TOM or not. Goes up. Is what it is.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, 7 days a week... TOM rarely effects me because I drink so much water.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I would just not weigh then, worry about it next week not when you know your body is going through hormone fun.
  • crooks_RN
    crooks_RN Posts: 69
    Options
    I do weigh myself then but I really dont pay much attention to it! (I am addicted to weighing myself) If you are bloated and swollen as you said then you know you are retaining water therefore your weight is going to be higher until that goes away!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Even though I drink water like a fiend, I gain between 3 and 6 pounds every month. Sometimes it hangs with me for a whole week. I do weigh myself, but don't take it seriously. It always goes back down (and then some), so not a big deal over the long haul.
  • nangel4u
    nangel4u Posts: 119
    Options
    I do weigh myself and when its the TOM I tend to gain 2-3 pounds but after I few days when its over I get back to my "normal weight" or I lose more then expected !!!
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I will weigh myself sometimes out of curiosity. I NEVER like the number and that is why they tell you not to do it.

I usually gain between 2 and 5 lbs of water weight. I usually notice it about 3-4 days before I start and it usually doesn't go away until about 2-3 days after I'm done.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Sunday. During TOM I sometimes notice an increase ... 2lbs?

I find I need more water, more exercise, and less sodium during that time.

Don't let it get you down.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I don't think I really gain.. but I know I don't lose, and when its gone I lose what I would have..
  • Lv3myhubby
    Options
    Due to a medical procedure I had done I haven't had a period in 4 years but I can still tell when it would be my TOM but usually if I see a few pounds more on the scale I assume I am not taking in enough water and just up my water intake. That usually works great!
  • Afrikangirl
    Afrikangirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I tend to gain 3 to 4 pounds during that time....but if I push through with diet and exercise....I can lose more weight after. I know what it is so it does not stress me. If you are stressed by it....do not weigh yourself.
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I can usually gain anywhere from 2-6 pounds. It depends on how bloated I am, how heavy my flow is, and how much I stuffed my face that particular week, haha.

But generally my weight starts to regulate once again about a day after the cycle is over.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day and try not to freak about fluctuations of any kind. Knowing exactly how much I'm eating every day helps with that. It's impossible to gain 2lbs after eating 1200 calories the day before, I don't care what the scale says!
  • RaysfanATL
    RaysfanATL Posts: 94
    Options
    I have the worst of both worlds, I can gain 1-6 pounds during that time, and also work for an airline and fly a lot, so sometimes I get bloated or gain water weight when I am on a long flight, so it really fluxuates!!
  • jkm1783
    jkm1783 Posts: 21
    Options
    I have an IUD so I haven't had one of those in 7 years but I still go through the bloating. Some experts believe that the reduction in progesterone, in the week before menstruation, leads to more progesterone being broken down which signals the kidneys to retain water and sodium. As well as this, a water-retaining compound (an anti-diuretic hormone) may be secreted, which causes more water to be retained.

Other experts believe that PMS water retention is due to fluctuations in blood sugar. For example, when someone does not eat for many hours, blood sugar levels typically fall very low. This causes the body to secrete adrenaline, which tells the body to release stored sugar from cells in order to normalize the level of sugar in the bloodstream. However, when sugar is removed from the cells, they fill up with water, causing (it is believed) weight gain, bloating and water retention symptoms in premenstrual women. The point is, women with PMS tend to release adrenaline a lot sooner than do women at other stages of the menstrual cycle.

Rule of thumb... Don't weigh your self before or during your period for a couple of days. I usually weight my self once every week.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    the people who think water will prevent all bloating in everyone, as some universal truth, are funny.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yep. I do. It helps me keep things in perspective. By weighing often I can see that I gain 2-3 scale numbers when I ovulate, and before my period, and after sushi, and after flying.

And because I know this, I don't freak. :-)
  • rbjd2004
    rbjd2004 Posts: 51
    Options
    I usually gain 3-4 pounds a few days before I start and it goes away within 1-2 days of starting. I have very light periods.

I've only been trying to lose weight for 6 weeks and I've had 2 periods in that time; both times I dropped all the extra weight plus a pound or two by the end of the week. I actually think that the bloated feeling encourages me to exercise more and avoid giving into cravings as well.