Best heart rate monitor for calorie burn and distance

Options
I'm curious what peoples experiences are with HR monitors. I want a good one to track calorie burn (so I can make sure I eat enough) as well as track my distance when I trail run or go out rowing. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Replies

• Virux
    Virux Posts: 3
    Options
    I would definitely like to know as well! I bought one that I have to put my finger on to tell. Like a watch around my wrist. I have seen some that have a wrap that goes around your chest and monitors constantly. I'm not spending that much without some information.
  • deniselynn13
    deniselynn13 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have always had Polar HRM's. I have loved all of mine!!!! The one i have now, the pink F6, tracks calorie burn, total time, heart rate, heart rate zones, time in zones, etc. It has a weekly diary, logs, etc. The only downfall to the one i have is the chest strap dies before my watch battery does. It works great under water and you can wear it if swimming and doing laps.

There is a few more expensive than the F6 that also track things such as distance. I am actually upgrading when i hit my 50 lb loss mark.

Hope you find a good one!!
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and it is pretty nice. I've taken it with me to the gym and on sprint sessions for the past 3 sessions and it's been pretty good.

It's very accurate, at least from my experiences, and reliable. The only thing I don't really like is having a strap around my chest but that seems to be unavoidable for HRM's (the accurate/reliable one's). I've been told to stay away from HRM's that take their readings from your wrist or elsewhere.

The band is only noticeable for the first few minutes but then you really do forget about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-FT7-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B0031ZI88M
  • Jenniferrose194
    Jenniferrose194 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT4 and I love it! Definitely well worth the money spent!
  • icrant
    icrant Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Garmin has a whole line (Forerunner) dedicated to exactly what you are looking for! Couple of months ago I bought a Forerunner 910XT, and I am very happy with it! It is expensive, but if this is not a problem for you, I strongly recommend it! It is a triathlon watch (running, swimming and biking) and it can be paired with a plethora of ANT+ devices (foot pods, heart rate monitor, speed and cadence sensors, bike power meters, weight scales, gym fitness devices, etc). The predecessor in this line is 310XT which sells today at approx 250 USD, which is equally good.

Another products to consider are made by Polar. They are cheaper, and from what I've seen, they have good reviews. Compared to Garmin, they do not have GPS tracking (I might be wrong on this, as i am not very familiar with Polar's products).

If you want to read more about the running watches (w/ or w/o HR monitors), a good place to start is www.dcrainmaker.com. The reviews are extremely detailed, which should cover most of the questions you might have...
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I had a Polar (RS 200) but I recently upgraded to a Garmin 410. Much nicer. When it comes to HRM' s I totally believe you get what you pay for.
  • Raw07
    Raw07 Posts: 206
    Options
    Bump - to read later when i have time :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar FT60.... Would not head out to do cardio without it.... Any of the Polar brand HRM are good, I prefer the FT60 do to the fact it figures your V02Max...... Best of Luck!!!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    www.dcrainmaker.com