Reduce cardio for fat loss?

Options
So, I usually peruse the forums here in the evening just to see what tips I can pick up and today I've seen a few posts about reducing cardio and increasing strength training for fat loss. I am 5'4" and weigh about 120. I am currently doing P90X and that involves weights/resistance about 3 times a week and cardio/yoga the other days. I also do an hour of cardio every morning (power walking or a combo of power walking and running, depending how my legs feel). I have a lot of muscle in my arms and legs but still carry some fat in my lower abdomen and upper thighs that I'd like to get rid of.

I've read a little about High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and think I'll swap that out for some of my cardio a few times a week to see if it helps but does anyone have advice about fat loss? As far as calories go, I usually try to net somewhere between my BMR (1365) and my TDEE (2300ish). I have a heart rate monitor to help me keep track of calories burned and I am trying to go for a 40% carb/40%protein/20%fat ratio. I usually struggle to get enough protein but I'm getting the hang of it.

**if you take a look at my food diary don't be confused about the past three days... I was at an ultimate frisbee tournament and burned 2,000 to 3,000 extra calories a day. I know my eating habits weren't great over the weekend but I had limited resources to eat back so many of the calories I'd burned.

Replies

• huckleberry0070
    huckleberry0070 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    *Bump
  • ReinventingLisa
    ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    From past experience where I was where you weighed many moons ago, strength training/conditioning is it peeled the fat and shaped me up. And I could have been called the cardio queen. But, I remember that I was a slim 6 and when I didn't strength train and just cardio, I was a 7/8.
  • cunfewzed1
    cunfewzed1 Posts: 80
    Options
    This is completely subjective, but I love HIIT. It's quick and incredibly effective! It elevates your heart rate quickly and makes you a faster runner. I've been doing HIIT 3 days / week with longer, constant runs on the in-between days.

For cardio, there's nothing better in my book.

I strength train for 45 min and then run for about 45 min most mornings instead of alternating between the two.
  • huckleberry0070
    huckleberry0070 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Any other thoughts?