Squats with 4 foot barbell?

Options
I have started the New Rules of Lifting for Women and have a dilemma:

My gym/rec center does not have a squat rack or any other place to put a longer barbell at shoulder level for squats. There is a smith machine but I would rather not use it. Have any of you used the four foot barbell, lifting it over your head and onto your shoulders? I also do not have anyone with me at the gym to help me with this and I'm worried that lifting the bar over my head is really not a good idea. I'm only starting out at 45 pounds.

What are some recommendations or alternatives?

Replies

• perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I know alot of people here are going to tell you the smith machine is horrible, but it is my only option. I've been using it for my squats since march....got to 200 pounds today!
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Why don't you start with just the bare bar and work your way up. Unless you are going to be a power lifter you really do not need to go very heavy.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    There is also leg presses, or lunges with a dumb bell. These days I do body weight squats but I do about 200 of them. :smile:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    If there is no squat rack I would honestly just use a machine. I know they are not as good as doing it freely but it's better than trying to do it without a rack.

You could also do it while holding dumbbells I suppose.

I can't imagine not having a squat rack though. That's my favorite thing ever. Well it's my favorite thing in the gym.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    :noway: No squat rack?

That should work for now but it'll just mean you can't really ever progress too far. I use them for lunges and will often ask somebody to put the heavier barbells on my shoulder once i get to the point where I can't safely lift the next weight I'm trying above my head. But it could be dangerous for you to do that with no spotter behind you incase you were to fail or start to fall. I would just suggest higher rep squats with the barbell you can manage to get above your head. Have you considered checking out other gyms?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Do you have a bench press with some adjustable pins or high racking? You can squat off of that for your heavy, above or to parallel squats and for the lighter, deeper squats, a weight you can heft overhead.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Why don't you start with just the bare bar and work your way up. Unless you are going to be a power lifter you really do not need to go very heavy.

Promise I'm not trying to be rude, but please don't listen to this advice. Lift heavy. See results.

As far as doing 200+ reps, that's fine...but dang, I've got places to be and a 2 year old to take care of...that's a lot of time repping.

OP, I would look at finding a new gym if possible. Like someone else said, you are just not going to progress like you could be without a squat rack.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as a dumbbell squat that you can do; that way you can do your squats with additional weight.
  • 12by311
    Options
    Oh and as far as a smith machine goes, the few times I've used it, I think I was getting ready to jack my back because of it.

Plus...and it's a huge plus....one of the best thing about squats is that they "engage your core" while doing them. You just don't get that with a smith machine.
  • WhiteCloud9
    WhiteCloud9 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm going to look around the gym again today to see if there is a way to rack the barbell high enough so I can lift it on my shoulders. At home my husband has some sort of Nautilus machine that I can rack the barbell on and I can do the full workout for the NROL4W. Unfortunately, this will only work for a few short weeks because I don't have dumbbells to do lunges with, only the plates for the machine. I also don't have other equipment used in the long term of the program. Last week I tried using the dumbbells on my shoulders but the huge round ends were such an annoyance and kind of hard to hold on to.

I've been looking around at other gyms but i love working out at the rec center. I can work out, play racquetball, get in the indoor pool, and then get in the hot tub all for one price. Way cheaper than finding another gym that has all of that! Plus, it's not a "meathead" type of place, very relaxed atmosphere and I don't feel intimidated. The other option I have is to drive to another rec center further away. It does have everything I need but it is also more expensive. I'll keep looking and make a decision soon.

I do want to lift heavy because I love the results other ladies are getting, and I do agree that free weight squats are the way to go. Funny that I never thought I would enjoy strength training and now I"m looking forward to lifting heavy. Wonders never cease!

Thank you all for your responses!
  • WhiteCloud9
    WhiteCloud9 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    To be a little more specific for why I want to lift heavy...

I do not want to be "skinny fat." I want to be in a healthy weight range without the flabby arms and fat rolls. It can and will be done!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

My gym/rec center does not have a squat rack or any other place to put a longer barbell at shoulder level for squats. There is a smith machine but I would rather not use it. Have any of you used the four foot barbell, lifting it over your head and onto your shoulders? I also do not have anyone with me at the gym to help me with this and I'm worried that lifting the bar over my head is really not a good idea. I'm only starting out at 45 pounds.

If you are able to lift it over your head to place it on your shoulders it will not be heavy enough for squats/ After 2-3 squat workouts you will most likely out grow any amount of wieght that you can lift over your head yourself.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    What about that "steinborn lift" thing...
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    The smith machine is the place to be for sure. If you are relying on your upper body strength to overhead press your squat weight to get it into position, you will never be using sufficient weight for your squats. You should be using significantly more weight for squats (which use very large muscle groups) than you are able to lift over your head.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The problem isn't going to be getting the weight up, it's going to be safely getting it down at the end of a heavy set. I stay away from the smith machine, but in your case I'd recommend it for safety reasons.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

http://stronglifts.com/squat-no-power-rack-steinborn-lift/
  • 12by311
    Options

http://stronglifts.com/squat-no-power-rack-steinborn-lift/

Good suggestion. Looks like it would take some practice. Never tried that before.

I also noticed Mehdi also mentions going from power clean to front squat. That would be a good suggestion too.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I'm not expert, but perhaps hack squats or zercher. Ive also seen a lady do jefferson squats at our gym. Apparently she prefers this methode? (the bar goes between your legs) She feels more stable?
    Also, talk to your rec centre ask them if this is something they would consider investing in. If they get enough requests, they just might get one.
    Good luck in finding a solution that works for you :)
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Oh and as far as a smith machine goes, the few times I've used it, I think I was getting ready to jack my back because of it.

Plus...and it's a huge plus....one of the best thing about squats is that they "engage your core" while doing them. You just don't get that with a smith machine.

I solve the engaging the core by doing the plank, I can hold plank position for 4 minutes, I think that engages my core pretty good
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Honestly if there's no squat rack to setup to then don't squat. Having a squat rack or a mono-lift is necessary for setting-up correctly for a proper squat. Just use the bar and learn to do conventional deadlifts and sumo deadlifts. Avoid the Smith Machine, it really does encourage poor form and injuries are known to come from the Smith Machine. I'm not a big Leg Press fan but if you learn to do heavy deadlifts the leg press isn't a bad secondary exercise.