Sweet Potato Recipes

Options
jsiler181
jsiler181 Posts: 81
Hello, all! I'm a total noob when it comes to preparing a meal with sweet potatoes. Unless, of course, you count my brilliant "take the Alexia Sweet Potato Fries out of the bag, place them on a baking sheet, and bake until awesome" technique. I would love some quick, easy, preferably 5-ingredient-or-less recipes to practice on. Any suggestions are welcome as I'm sure my fellow MFPs have come up with some great tricks!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• zela
    zela Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I usually cut mine into cubes and pepper or season with a steak rub of some sort. Throw it on a baking dish and bake for about 35-40 mins at around 400 degrees. I mix it with rice usually for a chicken breast/rice/sweet potatoe dish.

Would be willing to hear some different ideas though!
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Well, what I usually do is just baked sweet potatoes in the crock pot. Take sweet potatoes, wash, wrap in foil, and place in crock pot on high for 4 hours or so, depending on how big the potatos are.

Then just top them however you want.
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I wrap mine in foil, stab a few times with a fork, and throw them on the grill for an hour. Then I top with a little butter, splenda and cinnamon.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I cut mine into cubes, add one tsp of butter to frying pan. Cook a few mins add 1 tsp of cinnamon and 2 tsp of brown sugar. Cook until done. If you like fried potatoes and sweet potatoes you'll prolly like these. I love them! I only eat about once a week since it has brown sugar in it.
  • KathyJSR
    KathyJSR Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Go online & find sweet potato jalapeno soup - sounds odd, but is WONDERFUL!!!! You want the recipe from Heritage Homestead. It uses turkey bacon, sweet potatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, can sub low fat milk for half & half. YUMMMMM!
  • natpalit
    natpalit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    In the winter I make a sweet potato, chickpea and spinach soup. I haven't got the recipe to hand but it's not too dissimilar to this: http://www.gofasterfood.com/?p=641. I use frozen spinach instead, and slightly different spices.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Home made wedges are dead easy!

Cut each sweet potato into wedges - 6 for a small one, 8 for a large potato.
    Toss them in a bowl with a little oil, and seasoning of your choosing - salt and pepper, some crushed rosemary, garlic salt
    Spread them on a baking tray and pop in the oven for about 30 minutes or until soft.

I love sweet potato mash - prick a whole potato with a fork, blitz in teh micor for 8 minutes, scoop out the flesh into a bowl, mash with a drizzle of olive oil and season.

One of my favourite winter/ autumn recipes is roast roots - chop some peeled sweet potatoes, squash, parsnips, carrots, into even sized chunks. Mix together, spread inot a shallow baking dish so they are in a single layer. Add some herbs if you have them (sprigs of rosemary are great tuckind into the cubes). Roast on a low heat for an hour. Sometimes I'll add cubes of haloumi cheesse about 20 mins before the end of cooking.
  • mrbunsrocks
    mrbunsrocks Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love wedges as well, but I think my all-time favourite (and a great vegetarian, high-fibre recipe) is sweet potato-black bean burritos.

Basically, it's cooked mashed sweet potatoes with chipotle and cilantro, mixed with a spiced black bean mixture. Cheese is optional, but I like serving it with a combination of tomatillo salsa, red salsa and light sour cream.

Here's my recipe, but you can google and you'll find many variations on this theme: http://definitelynotmartha.blogspot.ca/2007/01/spice-of-lifehot-hot-hot.html
  • olpgirl2003
    Options
    I buy those Club House seasoning packs that have all the spices included and a recipe card on the back. It gives directions on how to make Rosemary Chicken and Potatos. I use sweet potatoes and thinly slice them into rounds, coat them and the chicken with the seasoning and bake. Sooo good.
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I like to roast mine with fennel and fresh thyme!!
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Herb Crusted Sweet Potato Bites

serves about 2 (maybe more)

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into uniform rounds

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 cup panko bread crumbs

2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1 teaspoon fresh thyme

2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

2 teaspoons finely grated parmesan cheese

1/4 teaspoon pepper

pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and spray with nonstick spray.

In a small bowl, combine panko, parsley, basil, thyme, cilantro, parmesan, salt, pepper and garlic. Mix with a spoon and use your hands to get everything combined.

Peel (if you want) your sweet potatoes and slice into rounds about 1/4 of an inch thick. Place in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil, then stir with your hands to make sure each piece is coated back and front. Add in panko + herbs, stirring again with your hands and pressing lightly to adhere. Some will stick – some will not. That’s fine! Place rounds on the wire rack, and then sprinkle the leftover panko + herbs from the bottom of the bowl over top of each round.

Bake for 25-28 minutes, or until crust is golden and sweet potatoes are soft. Serve immediately with smoky basil truffle sauce!

Smoky Basil Truffle Dipping Sauce

3/4 cup plain low-fat greek yogurt

1 teaspoon truffle oil

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

1 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

pinch of salt & pepper

Whisk ingredients together until smooth, then serve.
  • clairekeogh42
    clairekeogh42 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato mash is my favourite....peel and cut int o chunks, then boil in lightly salted water until cooked, then drain and mash with some fresh ground pepper and sea salt. You can add grated cheese or butter if you want but I like it plain.
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.

I like roasting chunks and tossing in a salad. Or wedges. Gorgeous in a risotto too :)
  • dbal689012
    dbal689012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes mash is easy and everyone will love them. Peel and cut into large chunks, 4-5 pieces from each potato. Boil until tender, drain and add margarine and brown sugar. Blend with blender keeping them a little chunky. Better for you than white potatoes. Enjoy!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    YUM!!
  • sheiwat
    sheiwat Posts: 47
    Options
    Do u have to add water? @purplegoboom....with the crockpot????
  • ralena
    ralena Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump!!!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    The most delicious recipe I've had is also the simplest:

1. Cut medium sweet potato into 8 cubes
    2. Place in boiling water and cook until soft (about 8-10 minutes)
    3. Preheat oven to 400 deg. F
    4. Lay potatoes onto baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper over them.
    5. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes.

ENJOY!

Goes really well with chicken that has been baked the exact same way, skip the boiling part though. :P
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious!
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious!

It is! It was actually a roasted squash and fennel recipe but I substituted the squash for the sweet potato and loved it!

INGREDIENTS
    2 small summer squash, (about 12 ounces)
    1 1/2 cups sliced fennel bulb, (about 1 small bulb), plus 1 tablespoon chopped fennel fronds, divided
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1/4 cup thinly sliced garlic

PREPARATION
    Preheat oven to 450°F.
    Quarter squash lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Combine the squash with sliced fennel, oil, thyme, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread the mixture evenly on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and roast until the vegetables are tender and the fennel is beginning to brown, about 5 minutes more. Stir in fennel fronds and serve.

NUTRITION
    Per serving: 66 calories; 4 g fat ( 1 g sat , 3 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 167 mg sodium; 388 mg potassium.

Enjoy!