Glycogen Increase?

Options
I have been reading posts talking about weight gain after intense workouts. So here's my situation and I hope you MFP experts can help me do what's best!

In 17 days I will be wearing a very unforgiving dress on the most important day of my life--My wedding!:heart: The first time I went for a fitting I realized that I really needed to start focusing on my back, chest, and arms. So, I have been doing that. One month later, I went back for another fitting and could actually really tell an improvement. That was about a week ago. I go back tonight for the "final" fitting and have a feeling I will still have some work to do. I've started doing pushups every day in addition to my hour long gym work outs. Granted, I can only do about 25 girl pushups broken up in 5's. I'm just worried that if I start to panic and go crazy at the gym to try to lose inches in 17 days, my body is going to rebel against me!! :indifferent: :noway:

Replies

• chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    What were you planning on doing? You should be fine if you don't go doing anything drastic... :flowerforyou: You will look great, don't worry...
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I get married in 3 weeks with a strapless dress. I was making progress until I had a bicycling accident a few weeks ago. So I'm off of all cardio, but still need to keep the upper body going. I plan on hitting the weights hard isolating the muscles and keeping a VERY close eye on my food. I am actually at my goal weight, but with no cardio, I can't afford to gain an ounce! Otherwise my dress won't fit!

Just make sure to keep your muscles guessing with different moves and variation. And make sure to give your muscles time to heal after your workouts and you will be fine!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I guess that depends on what you mean by rebel. I mean, if you up the intensity, you could gain a lb or two, that's possible, but it wouldn't be noticeable in either fit of clothing or how you look, I mean, those gains are all internal, glycogen doesn't pool at the skin or broaden your hips or anything like that, it's stored in the liver and around the muscles themselves.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    oh, I dunno. I'm just thinking like, more pushups, higher weights, longer workouts...
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    oh, I dunno. I'm just thinking like, more pushups, higher weights, longer workouts...

How about same weights more reps? You're not going for a size gain right now, right?

Banks, any advice?
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I guess that depends on what you mean by rebel. I mean, if you up the intensity, you could gain a lb or two, that's possible, but it wouldn't be noticeable in either fit of clothing or how you look, I mean, those gains are all internal, glycogen doesn't pool at the skin or broaden your hips or anything like that, it's stored in the liver and around the muscles themselves.

Okay, I guess that's the answer I was looking for. I was thinking of a visible gain, I don't really care about the number on the scale. I wasnt sure where the gain was stored. Thanks, Banks!!
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I get married in 3 weeks with a strapless dress. I was making progress until I had a bicycling accident a few weeks ago. So I'm off of all cardio, but still need to keep the upper body going. I plan on hitting the weights hard isolating the muscles and keeping a VERY close eye on my food. I am actually at my goal weight, but with no cardio, I can't afford to gain an ounce! Otherwise my dress won't fit!

Just make sure to keep your muscles guessing with different moves and variation. And make sure to give your muscles time to heal after your workouts and you will be fine!

Congratulations to you! Are you getting married on the 29th or the 3rd?

Right, I mean, I am fighting with all my might to get just a liiiiiittle smaller in 17 days. Thank you for the advice, and good luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options

How about same weights more reps? You're not going for a size gain right now, right?

Banks, any advice?

Thats good too. More reps.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    On an unrelated topic, there's this guy at my gym that does bodybuilding competitions and stuff (along with steroids... he hardly works out when he's in there). Anywho, he is getting ready for one this weekend and said something about the diuretics he takes to get rid of all water and make his skin look real tight and love handles go away. He said he would give me some to take for the wedding. Of course my answer was no thanks, really not dumb enough to take pills from someone else... but, isn't a diuretic mainly just caffeine or something?
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    On an unrelated topic, there's this guy at my gym that does bodybuilding competitions and stuff (along with steroids... he hardly works out when he's in there). Anywho, he is getting ready for one this weekend and said something about the diuretics he takes to get rid of all water and make his skin look real tight and love handles go away. He said he would give me some to take for the wedding. Of course my answer was no thanks, really not dumb enough to take pills from someone else... but, isn't a diuretic mainly just caffeine or something?

A little bit caffeine, and I think some herbal junk that flushes you out. Anything that changes how your body normally acts probably isn't a good bet for a healthy wedding. Plus, think about the worst case scenario... the effects dont start until wedding day :cry: That would stink. Stay away from it.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options

A little bit caffeine, and I think some herbal junk that flushes you out. Anything that changes how your body normally acts probably isn't a good bet for a healthy wedding. Plus, think about the worst case scenario... the effects dont start until wedding day :cry: That would stink. Stay away from it.

Yeah, I wasn't planning on doing it. I don't really understand the whole water weight thing anyway. I know I drink a TON of water and he told me by the 4th day (day of the wedding) not to have ANY water. Even the other lady that was there was like, don't do it, they will make you sick and shaky and extremely *****y! Definitely not worth it for me. I have been working really hard to get into shape, so I didnt really think I needed something to make my skin look tight... I was just curious.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    There's lots of diuretics out there, caffine is a very mild one, I wouldn't take them, they can be dangerous, you need to be very careful with what you eat/drink while on them, and certain types of workouts are a no no, AND, they can screw up your mineral base, which can make you feel lethargic and off balance (and sometimes a little naucious).

Plus, diuretics drastically increase your chances of developing a case of gout. Gout sucks! It's painful and debilitating while you have it.