Spaghetti Squash in place of spaghetti YUMM!

Options
Tenoreo90
Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
Seriously, this is a recipe that'll stick in our household! I just cut a spaghetti squash in half, stuck it in the oven for an hour at 375, scooped it out, topped with spaghetti sauce and grilled chicken breast. So easy and SOOO yummy! My 2 year old daughter just kept shoveling away like she does with regular pasta and saying, "SKETTI!" :D So happy about this!

Replies

• crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I made some tonight, except I put mine in the microwave for about 25 minutes. I put some Laughing Cow cheese on it while it was hot enough to melt it. Pretty tasty.
  • Tenoreo90
    Options
    I made some tonight, except I put mine in the microwave for about 25 minutes. I put some Laughing Cow cheese on it while it was hot enough to melt it. Pretty tasty.

Oooh that sounds delicious! I'll have to try that sometime!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I don't eat noodles, and I have been meaning to try this. I love lasagna with egg plant or zucchini instead of noodles...yum!!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i made chicken parmesan with spaghetti squash (and coated the chicken in almond flour instead) so delish! i love it.
  • DinahKyle
    DinahKyle Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    *adds to shopping list*
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    How many calories per cup or however much you give yourself?
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I like SS a lot too! It goes well with just about anything.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    i made chicken parmesan with spaghetti squash (and coated the chicken in almond flour instead) so delish! i love it.

Oh that is a good idea!
  • Tenoreo90
    Options
    How many calories per cup or however much you give yourself?

According to MFP, it's 42 cal/cup. The spaghetti sauce I used was 80 per cup, so 122 cal for spaghetti and sauce=not bad, eh? ;]
  • Beana21
    Beana21 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this for dinner tonight. I grabbed two of them at the grocery store the other day but I hadn't figured out still what exactly to do with them. lol
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I tried this for the first time a week ago... the 'noodles' were so watery / soggy.
    Are they always that way or did I mess it up?? I have the ability to mess up cheese toasties - so it was probably me...
  • Lance_K
    Lance_K Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I've stopped using spaghetti pasta and only use spaghetti squash in place of pasta and sometimes make it au gratin like hashbrown casserole. I've never cooked my squash in the oven though I always use the microwave. Excellent substitute and very versatile.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I am not an advocate of low carb but these are delicious, easy, and filling. A good light substitute for pasta if you should so desire.
  • kevadafly
    kevadafly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love, love, love spaghetti squash. I make a spaghetti lasagna with it too! Delicious!!
  • sailorsiren13
    Options

This is the same way we eat it!! and we microwave the squash as well. I now have to buy 2 because the family loves it so much!
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • BNA_Mommy
    BNA_Mommy Posts: 36
    Options
    I tried this for the first time a week ago... the 'noodles' were so watery / soggy.
    Are they always that way or did I mess it up?? I have the ability to mess up cheese toasties - so it was probably me...

I cut it in half length wise, scoop out the seeds, then lay it open side down in a baking dish with just enough water to cover the bottom of the dish. I bake mine on 350 for about 45 mins. When it cools, use a fork to string the inside of it out (I can get almost down to the skin...it's a lot of "spaghetti"). Mine comes out crunchy, but not TOO crunchy. I either add spaghetti sauce and grilled chicken or a little bit of EVOO and some seasoning, then mix it with some grilled peppers, ohions, mushrooms and even shrimp.
  • Nikkiham520
    Nikkiham520 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorites! I have 2 SS plants in my garden. I just poke holes in it and microwave until the skin is soft. YUMMMM!!! I am going to try the alfredo thing...never tried that.