Low Sodium Foods Please!

Options
2»

Replies

• jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    great :-) but it depends which Swiss cheese... I live in Switzerland and we have a lot of sorts with a huge amount of sodium... I don't know, maybe in the US "Swiss cheese" is just one of them... :-) Good luck everyone

Haha - yes - at American grocery stores, there is one type of cheese generally labeled 'Swiss Cheese' and it has about a quarter the sodium than cheddar, gouda, mozzarella, etc.

Good to know :D have to try this "Swiss cheese" one day ^^

Yes, OUR "Swiss" Cheese is a relatively hard, white cheese. It has a slightly bitter flavor, though, so it's not one I like to eat by itself. I like to have a slice rolled up in a piece of Sara Lee Lower Sodium Ham or Turkey, or with a serving of grapes or apple slices.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Stay away from fast food, pre-packaged food, and canned food. Sometimes they have low sodium versions of things, or no salt added canned things. Still should check labels though, because low sodium doesn't always mean much. :P

Just eat more whole foods if you want to reduce sodium, like others have said. :)
  • owl92
    owl92 Posts: 74
    Options
    apples are very low sodium, i was reading that earlier when i googled foods with pectin in them.
  • Raregreeneyes
    Raregreeneyes Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all :) I now have a lot of ideas. :) I could not do this without all of this support and information. Everyone on here is always so willing to help out. That helps a lot!
  • Desika87
    Desika87 Posts: 111
    Options
    Fruits

Vegetables

Pasta and rice made with unsalted water

Swiss cheese

Fresh meat (not deli meat, or chicken/pork that's been plumped with saline)

Make your own bread

Cook beans from dry instead of canned

Make your own salad dressings

Honestly, if you make things from scratch instead of buying canned/packaged/processed, it's pretty easy to keep sodium in check.

great :-) but it depends which Swiss cheese... I live in Switzerland and we have a lot of sorts with a huge amount of sodium... I don't know, maybe in the US "Swiss cheese" is just one of them... :-) Good luck everyone
    In the US Emmental Cheese is called "Swiss Cheese."

oh no :D Don't like the Emmentaler ^^ but thank you very much for your information :))