Filling yet healthy foods

Options
thisisjl
thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
So what do you eat when you need something filling yet don't want to use a lot of calories?

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    chicken breast.
    sauteéd veggies.
  • denisebme
    denisebme Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato
    anything veggie
  • Moniqua1
    Moniqua1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    GRANOLA! I say it over and over! I swear by granola in yogurt if you want to feel fuller longer. Popcorn if you just want the hand to mouth feeling of snacking
    Oh, and you would be surprised at how filling a large salad (just lettuce and fat free zesty italian dressing can be ( very light on calories)
  • sarahj1503
    sarahj1503 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    a hard boiled egg
    xx
  • neffesther
    neffesther Posts: 55
    Options
    Popcorn! No matter how hungry I am popcorn helps take the edge off, every time.
  • thisisjl
    Options
    GRANOLA! I say it over and over! I swear by granola in yogurt if you want to feel fuller longer. Popcorn if you just want the hand to mouth feeling of snacking
    Oh, and you would be surprised at how filling a large salad (just lettuce and fat free zesty italian dressing can be ( very light on calories)

I might have to try the granola thing out!
  • thisisjl
    Options

I've stayed away from Popcorn because well popcorn isn't popcorn without lots of butter...I'll have to get some less buttery kind and try it out.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Im a big fan of having prepped vegetables done up ahead of time and then I can just as easily grab them when I want.

I also like to have a cooked protein available in the fridge as well. I just used a roaster chicken up the other day that had a killer seasoned rub on... gotta remember to do that again for sure!

Turkey and chicken are both low calorie, very protein-rich meats... I find those to be quite filling when paired with faux-noodles made from zucchini and summer squash, melted butter, sea salt and black pepper...mmmmmmmmm
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

I've stayed away from Popcorn because well popcorn isn't popcorn without lots of butter...I'll have to get some less buttery kind and try it out.
    Try popping popcorn with olive oil. It gives it a nice flavor for not too many calories.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Multigrain rice cakes ...square ones less calories ....with tuna and tomato topping .
    Or sweet tooth ...lol ....apple & cinnamon rice cakes ..nice treat .
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Tea. Lots and lots of herbal tea.
  • youngmum
    youngmum Posts: 114
    Options
    chia seeds in a drink (eg milky type of drink, whatever you like, almond milk, protein shake, standard milk) = pudding + very very very fulling
    soup
    loads and loads of veges
    lean meats
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    check out my chicken with apples dinner recipie, its the works (veggies, fruit, protein and good carbs) I recently changed the spices I used to the weber brand Mango Lime seafood blend with a pinch of cayenne pepper for kick, came out AMAZING!
  • naomicp
    naomicp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
  • naomicp
    naomicp Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Try popping popcorn with olive oil. It gives it a nice flavor for not too many calories.

What is the best way to pop corn? Ive tried in the microwave but it just ruins the pot it goes in :-(
  • thisisjl
    Options
  • MumMumOfMany
    MumMumOfMany Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i snack on frozen blueberries and carrot sticks. Dinners i have filled pittas/tortillas with some lean meat like chick or turkey breast with onions and peppers. Brekkie, porrige... so filling keeps me goin til lunch. Lunch usually prawn salad or some kind of stir fry. Hope this gives you some ideas x
  • thisisjl
    Options
    check out my chicken with apples dinner recipie, its the works (veggies, fruit, protein and good carbs) I recently changed the spices I used to the weber brand Mango Lime seafood blend with a pinch of cayenne pepper for kick, came out AMAZING!

mmm Chicken with Apples sounds nummy! Going to check that out!
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I find hummus to be very filling, especially with some toasted pitta bits and some raw veggies (carrots, cucumber, celery, peppers, etc.).

Other than that, I just drink a lot. I used to drink mostly water, but lately have been trying out different teas.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You could try a stir fry. I had a whole container from Asda and it's just veggies. It was 172 calories for the veggies and it filled a big frying pan. I try to add protein to my meals, so I had Salmon. You could use chicken or prawns if you want to keep it low fat which should lower the calorie total. Add a bit of salt reduced soy sauce and use spray oil.

I decided to use Olive Oil yesterday though, mainly to get some of my daily fat, but I could of saved myself 408 calories if I didn't use rice, Olive Oil and used Prawns instead of Salmon or have that spare Spring Roll from the weekend, but I have a bit of a higher intake.

After all that I was definitely full, there were just so many veggies and it's a really enjoyable meal. Nutritious, protein and fiber rich and really filling.

So you could easily make this a less than 300 calorie meal or even snack.