Not losing. Please help!

Options
I started mfp again nearly 3 weeks ago after a 3 month break. I am the same weight today as the day I started! I can't shift anything! I eat 1200 calories plus I get 500 extra as a Breastfeeding mother. I'm doing 30 day shred every day and get about 180 calories for that (most of which I don't eat).

Last time I used mfp I was on 1300 calories (plus 500 Breastfeeding calories) and lost 13lbs. I used those calories the first week but didn't lose, so dropped to 1200 and am still not losing!

Help!!!

Replies

• Bssh
    Bssh Posts: 123
    Options
    Perhaps you should increase your calories instead - say 1700 plus BF cals and also eat all your exercise cals. Perhaps your body is in starvation mode eating so little and is clinging on to fat stores. There's a good Eat More To Lose Weight group and forum here for you to check out. I lose more when I increase calories to 1800 which includes exercise 3 times a week (so I don't eat my exercise cals).
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should try to eat a little more again, as that is what was working previously. One week wasn't really enough time to see if that amount of calories was still working.

For what it's worth, I've heard a lot of people say they lose very little, or even nothing at all, while doing the 30 Day Shred. Have you taken measurements of your body? You may find there are losses there, even if not on the scale.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Have you worked out your TDEE and BMR and join the group eat more to weighless I expect your not eating enough remember healthy calories burn off better x
  • Crunchyfaery
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. So the general consensus is more calories? I just looked at that tdee thing and it says over 1900! I put in light exercise as shred is only 20 minutes. That is A LOT of calories! I didn't even say I was Breastfeeding! Can I really eat THAT much and still lose weight?!

I have read that some people haven't lost much doing shred. I took some measurements a week in but haven't measured since. I guess I'll just have to keep going and see what happens. I wish the weather was better, I could put dd in a pushchair and go out and run too.

I have a wedding to go to in a few weeks and was hoping to be a uk size 10 for it. Though if I stick to exercising, maybe I might get close ish!

Thanks again. Will try adding some calories!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Working out exactly how many calories to eat can be confusing and is not an exact science. If you've worked out your TDEE at over 1900, then you could take 10-20 % off that total to get what you want to eat each day. If you've factored in your exercise when finding out your TDEE, then don't eat your exercise calories back, as you would be counting them twice. If you haven't counted the fact that you're breastfeeding, then continue to log that,

Try it for a few weeks and see how you go. You may well out on a few pounds initially because of the increased amount of food and the water retention that comes along with it. If you're under your TDEE though, it won't be a fat gain. (Check this out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience) If that scares you a bit, you could just increase slowly, adding 50-100 cals to your daily goal each week. Try and stick to it for a few weeks at least to see if it's working. Like I say, it can be tricky to find the best calorie intake for you, but it does sound like you'd do better eating a bit more than you are doing now.

I don't know if you'll be in your size 10 by the time of the wedding, but hopefully this will yield better results long-term. Don't forget that it will go slower the smaller you are, so a lot of patience will be needed!

(edit for typo)