To eat before or after working out in the morning?

Options
124»

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I've read that to burn more fat you shouldn't but to have more energy you should. If I work out in the morning I don't eat before but have a shake right after. I have never had any trouble finishing 40 minutes of cardio. I think as a whole people are too worried about eating and "what if I get lightheaded". If I did (I don't) I would suck it up and walk it off. Being a baby and not putting some effort into my health got me here. I don't want to wuss out and use an excuse to get me out of working to make it right.

I know on weeks where I do the exercise in the AM without eating I lose more. Might be a coincidence might not be. I try to do every week because more is better. If I wasn't so lazy I would be able to do it all the time.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I try to get my workouts in before I eat because I work out hard and don't like puking.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    i can NOT work out on an empty stomach! if i work out in the morning...banana and cereal before, and a fruit after!
  • TLC1975
    TLC1975 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    BOTH.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    For me, it is before and after a morning workout. I find if I do not eat before then I bonk. Afterwards, a recovery snack is required because I have already used up the fuel from breakfast and then some. Typically, a morning workout for me is 1-2 hours though. I now have to move my workouts to the evening though which is kinda sad, a workout is a great way to start the day--no matter how you choose to fuel it.
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Deanna_garnermommy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    For about 2 months I have been reading about what to eat before and after and the consensus is eat a carb, even if its something small, an 80 calorie Luna bar is what I started out with, then i made home made sweet potato muffins that worked, this week its 1 piece of ezekiel with 1T of natural peanut butter and today I ran the best i have ever ran.. the full 20 minutes I was reaching for. So i am eating the same thing all week in hopes it wasn't just a fluke. I eat 30 mins before i run and then a protein shake in my car on the way home from the run.. and then egg whites and a fruit after my shower... seems to be working great for me.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I always lift on an empty stomach (coffee only), wait an hour or so, and then eat lunch. I realized my focus intensified when I lifted fasted and I was able to lift heavier for longer when I wasn't having to digest anything during the workout. (My lifting workouts last around 45 minutes and I lift as heavy as I can for the most part.)

I also do cardio on an empty stomach, if it's in the morning, but if it's an extended session (anything intense lasting over an hour) I'd probably need to eat something.

I should add that when I first started this I was a bit lightheaded, but I pushed through and now I don't feel that way at all. That's just my experience, though. It's certainly not THE WAY. I don't believe there is one sure way. Experiment and find out what works for you. Good luck!