it really hurts....plz help

Options
2»

Replies

• BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    It will take a couple of weeks for your "saddle" to get used to the saddle --- but there are other things you may need to check: someone mentioned that you might have the seat too high - that will have an effect; your seat might be too far back as well, causing you to tip forward at the pelvis too much; you might also be using too little resistance --- if you are "bouncing," your resistance is too ligth and that will cause discomfort.

Padded seats and padded shorts may help - but I found that the soreness will dissipate as long as you are in good form.

All that being said - only you can define for yourself true pain. If you are in PAIN, seek medical help. Good luck and keep moving!
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    It will totally wear off after a coupleof weeks. When I first started spinning I used to dread how much my *kitten* would hurt afterwardsm but after a couple of weeks it didnt anymore. You could buy some padded cycling shorts, but honestly give it time and it WILL harden to it :)
    Sounds awful, but this is right! Your bits and pieces will toughen up and after a few weeks you will not feel it
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Couple of things to check.
    Make sure the seat is at the right height. When you are seated on the bike, put your heel on the pedal and your leg should be just slightly bent.
    It could be your seat is too high making your hips sway, which isnt good.
    If its set up right, check you are not dropping your heels too much, again making your hips sway.

If you STILL can see your hips sway, drop the saddle one notch and try again. Just be careful, if its too low your knees will get sore.

The gym bikes have pretty wide saddles at my gym. Even tho most of the nerves in my bum are long dead from mountain biking, the width of the saddle can irritate the inside of my leg.

Pain around the lschium (the lowest bit on the pelvis) is normal for new bikers.

This, pretty much.

Plus, get a pair of bike shorts with a coolmax or gel pad in them, and stretch off properly after using the bike. If you don't love the idea of the Lycra, you can put a looser pair of shorts over them (this is what I do for mountain biking and spin classes).
  • fatima147
    fatima147 Posts: 85
    Options
    thank u all very much. i know i need to go the doctor and i will as well, i just wanted to know if im alone in this or not. thanks alot u guys.

have a lovely day:bigsmile:
  • astheygrowup
    astheygrowup Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I ride one every day at the gym and have to say that at first my bottom hurt but never my pelvic area. It could he your seat is too high and you may need to play with the settings a little bit to find a comfortable position. Eventually your bottom will get used to it if that's what is sore but with the pelvic it could be something else. Maybe pulling a muscle some how
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    im 181 lbs. i do regular stationary bike exercise for 30-80 mins and light effort to moderate. the thing that is freaking me out that during and after the exercise, my pelvic area and anything below my waist hurts. it excludes legs. so the only thing that really hurts is bottom area, but shouldnt it be the legs coz thats where all thehard work lies.?!?!

im so embarrased to ask this question and had to gather alot of encouragenment bcoz at the end of the day i dont want to hurt myself.:frown:

plz tell me that this is normal pain and its not bcoz im heavy or my bike's seat is not good. and also it was embarrasing 4 me to ask so plz no rude comments. :embarassed:

thank u in advance

This is no place to trust anyone's reassurance about pain. Pain is not normal. Go to a doctor or nurse practitioner. If you can post your business here, with thousands of people reading it, you can talk one on one in an exam room.

Go.

I guess I'm surprised about all the things you don't want people to tell you. If you post a question here, be prepared for the answer. Report people who are unkind to you.

But if your pain is (in their opinion--and I wouldn't tell you to ignore it, but I'm a registered nurse, so what do I know?) because you are heavy or your bike's seat is cheap, then I'd think you'd be willing to hear it. We are all heavy here.

GO TO THE DOCTOR.

We are not ALL heavy here. MFP is not just used for weight loss.

Also, as a nurse Im sure you will notice the difference between actual pain, and the discomfort caused by exercising. Im not saying people shouldnt go to a doctor, but if youre in the US and its something you're paying for, I think you'd be a bit annoyed if you paid to have someone tell you to 'use a gel seat'. Just saying.
  • jkpar03
    jkpar03 Posts: 3
    Options
    I ride bikes a lot and have setup bikes for many other riders. It sounds to me like you are pinching a nerve or sitting on a blood vessel. The typical fix for this is to check the height and angle of the seat. The height should be set so that with your heel on the pedal your knee should lock at the full pedal extension. This will make it so when the ball of your foot is on the pedal for normal riding your knee is just slightly bent. The angle of the seat should start out level. Ride for about 5 minutes. You should feel some heating of the "sit bones" basically the tail edge of your pelvic bone. If the heat and pressure is on the tailbone angle the seat up (front of saddle higher) if the heat and pressure is on the Perineum (if you don't know what it is, google it. basically the area between your "parts") the seat needs to be angled down. (Front of saddle lower.) Adjustments are typically small. usually only about 1/2 inch or so.

Hope this helps. Having a bike setup properly makes a huge difference. And Yes, bike shorts are amazing both for the padding and the compression. you will notice a difference after the first time of using them and wonder how you ever rode without them.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Biker butt! Totally normal. I think you should replace or cover your seat with a nice gel padded seat. Also, you can try wearing padded biker shorts for some extra cushion.
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    Like people have said, try adjusting the seat and handle bar position. When sitting on the bike your knees should be at a 5 degree bend, and raise the bar to a comfortable position.