My scale is possessed!

Options
I'm normally a weigh-once-a-week kinda gal, but I was feeling froggy & thin yesterday, so hopped on the scale before I went to bed--139 lbs. Woohoo! And then this morning, I thought "well, if I weighed 139 at the end of the day, what am I starting out at?" and hopped back on the scale--145. 6 pounds OVERNIGHT. WTF?
Sigh...I'm going with the "my scale is possessed" theory; it makes me feel better. Good thing I decided to take a break from focusing on weight loss and start working on dropping my way-too-high body fat percentage....

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Maybe your scale needs a new battery
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I agree with psulemon, it might need new batteries.
  • coullmom
    coullmom Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    my scale is stupid too! I can weigh myself within mins and it has a different reading, sometime by 10 lbs.....and that is with a new battery. I don't trust the thing so I go mainly by measurements and how my clothes feel.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Maybe your scale isn't flat. This is an odd source of error that is often blamed on the scale itself, but many floors aren't flat even in newer homes. If your scale rocks at all, then depending on how you step on it you can get widely varying weights.

Check the battery, but also find a flat spot where your scale doesn't rock even a teeny tiny bit and leave it there. If these both fail, then maybe you need a new scale.
  • aaarrgghhh
    aaarrgghhh Posts: 12
    Options
    I like to go with the possessed scale theory sometimes too. ;)

Actually, mine got so bad that I threw it away and I'm buying a new one. Try the batteries first, and the location of the scale, as recommended above, then if that doesn't work get a new one. That's a big difference to see overnight, and typically you should be lighter in the morning, not heavier.
  • LCBinGA
    LCBinGA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I too find that love/hate relationship with my scale! Can't live with it, can't kill it!
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too... mine wasnt the batteries. I happened to have a sodium filled meal for dinner the night before so the next morning the scale reflected my water weight gain. It was gone by the next day.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a 1-2 lb fluctuation doesn't bug me at all; that's life. 6 lbs is ridiculous, especially at my size. I'll swap out the batteries, put it on a flat surface & recallibrate -- I just wanted to complain. :-)
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Kill it with fire:)