Best equipment in the gym?

Recently i have joined my local gym, I haven't really ever worked out on my own and as ive just started im taking it steady and doing the following workout

Treadmill- 10 minutes (warm up)
Cross trainer - 10 minutes (medium effort)
Rowing Machine 10 minutes (full effort with 7/10 resistance)

I have been doing this for the last 3 days now and I can certainly feel that iv'e been to the gym after, is there any other work I could do to burn fat, I'm not so bothered about gaining muscle just loosing fat and toning, Any Help please guys!

Replies

• DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Given your goals, don't waste your money on the gym. Just eat less. Use the money you save from dropping the gym membership on eating quality foods. You mention toning. Not sure what you mean. Toning is really jusst building muscle and I guess reducing BF%. The best piece of equipment in the gym is the barbell.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Given your goals, don't waste your money on the gym. Just eat less. Use the money you save from dropping the gym membership on eating quality foods. You mention toning. Not sure what you mean. Toning is really jusst building muscle and I guess reducing BF%. The best piece of equipment in the gym is the barbell.

This. ^
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Respectfully disagree the best equipment in the gym is dumbells, great for beginners, tougher to overload & they call in stabiliser muscles more! I would also look into a short body weight program that you can do gym or home :)

Russ
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Respectfully disagree the best equipment in the gym is dumbells, great for beginners, tougher to overload & they call in stabiliser muscles more! I would also look into a short body weight program that you can do gym or home :)

Russ

Dumbells would be a close second for sure. I would also add that the chinup bar is very useful.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Free weights - dumbbells, barbell. Want to get into lifting? I suggest reading the book New Rules of Lifting. Easy read, great advice and programs to get you started. Stay away from the weight machines. Use the cardio machines and the free weights.
  • AussieRachG
    AussieRachG Posts: 43 Member
    You won't 'tone' without building resistance and doing weights. Change up your workout sometimes but adding in the weights machines and/or adding time + resistance to your cardio. If your gym does classes - that's also a great way to get all over body workouts.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    If you want to "tone" then you should still be strength training. It is more important than the cardio you're doing. I suggest doing strength training instead of the treadmill and elliptical and then just eat less food to lose the fat.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Free weights :)

I love the dumb bells - I feel like they're the most versatile equipment I use. There's always something to do with dumb bells around!