Easy 10 weeks to (slow) 10K, who's with me?

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
Anyone else clocking up a steady 30 minutes running and looking to increase distance to 10K? I have a race on 9 September and I'm looking to increase my "long" run mileage slowly and steadily by 5 mins a week. To avoid aggravating old injuries, I plan on doing just one or two mid-week speedwork sessions and weaving in plenty of cross-training.

If you'd like to join me on the path of least resistance, here's my 10-week plan for my long runs (this week is week zero). I did the same race in 76 minutes last year (yes, I'm that slow!) so I'm aiming for 70 this year and would like to get just beyond that in training so I have something left in the tank for a sprint (!) finish.

What you do for your other sessions is up to you, but the rest of my personal cunning plan is here:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/ten-weeks-to-10k-288678

Long run for week commencing:

1 July – 30 mins
8 July – 35 mins
15 July – 40 mins
22 July – 45 mins
29 July – 50 mins
5 August – 55 mins
12 August – 60 mins
19 August – 65 mins
26 August – 70 mins
2 September – 75 mins
9 September - 10K race!

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    ohhhh sound interesting. I really want to do a 10K in september.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Me! I am! And Sept 9th is my birthday :)
  • BerryH
    Options
    Me! I am! And Sept 9th is my birthday :)
    Mine's on the 13th. The race is normally the Sunday afterwards and I've run it with a hangover more than once!
  • Paul_Kent_UK
    Paul_Kent_UK Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I'll give it a go! I did last years RFL in 1hr 35 mins which was pretty poor, this year I'd like to do it faster but haven't done any running in preparation at all, the closest I've got was downloading the C25K poscasts :laugh:

I'll be with you on the 9th but as I'll be doing it in a country park that's full of mud I might not be able to manage less than 2 hours! It's all good work!! Yay!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    After my earlier comment I can't really refuse, can I? :wink:

Yup, I'll give it a go - mine will be done on the treadmill though.

PS: Can I count my 5k from yesterday as this weeks effort? :bigsmile:
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Your cunning plan looks good! I'm in!
  • BerryH
    Options
    I sure as hell would!
  • lazyspice
    Options
    I'll put my feet up then!
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Mine [race] is the following week :) But I'm in!
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    PS: is your 10K = 10 km or 10 miles? lol
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I'll try. I'm definitely trying to work on speed!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I started a 10k program about 3 weeks ago, looking for some more structure to my running routine, and hoping to increase my 5k time. I've only run one 5k race so far, but have another one on the 14th, and a color run in September. And I just wanted to challenge myself, as well as have the ability to run anything up to a 10k (or maybe even a half marathon one of these days if I let my friends talk me into it! :tongue:).

I downloaded a 10k trainer app by Zen Labs - same people who's c25k app I used, and it pretty much picked up where the other one left off. Running Week 3 Day 3 (or Week 11 if you started with c25k and kept going).

5 minute warm up walk
    Run 17 minutes
    Walk 1 minute (shortest minute EVER! LOL)
    Run 17
    Walk 1
    Run 17
    5 minute cool down walk
    Total time: 63 minutes

The next week is the same, but with 18 minute runs, the week following is two 22 minute runs with the 1 minute walk, and so on. If I stick to the plan I should be running the 10k distance without stopping in about 3 weeks.
  • BerryH
    Options
    PS: is your 10K = 10 km or 10 miles? lol
    10km, despite it taking me that long!
  • BerryH
    Options
    I started a 10k program about 3 weeks ago, looking for some more structure to my running routine, and hoping to increase my 5k time. I've only run one 5k race so far, but have another one on the 14th, and a color run in September. And I just wanted to challenge myself, as well as have the ability to run anything up to a 10k (or maybe even a half marathon one of these days if I let my friends talk me into it! :tongue:).

I downloaded a 10k trainer app by Zen Labs - same people who's c25k app I used, and it pretty much picked up where the other one left off. Running Week 3 Day 3 (or Week 11 if you started with c25k and kept going).

5 minute warm up walk
    Run 17 minutes
    Walk 1 minute (shortest minute EVER! LOL)
    Run 17
    Walk 1
    Run 17
    5 minute cool down walk
    Total time: 63 minutes

The next week is the same, but with 18 minute runs, the week following is two 22 minute runs with the 1 minute walk, and so on. If I stick to the plan I should be running the 10k distance without stopping in about 3 weeks.
    Looks good! As I've done the distance before, I think ploughing through the time works better mentally for me now. After the world's shortest 1 minute I suspect I'd want more :laugh:
  • BerryH
    Options
    Oh, and I did 30 minutes on the dreadmill last night. It was raining and I'm a wimp and Derren Brown was on the One Show :blushing:
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Im in ive got a 10k race September 23rd :bigsmile:
  • lazyspice
    Options
    After my earlier comment I can't really refuse, can I? :wink:

Yup, I'll give it a go - mine will be done on the treadmill though.

In the spirit of training I did another 5k on the treadmill this morning.

I did 2 miles of walk/run intervals in 27:56 and the rest was walking (warm up/cool down) - total time 45:17.

Not exactly fast but I need to build up my running time after a couple of months lay off :wink:

(Just as a reminder for myself, my 5k run on Monday was done in 39:39)
  • leightonsmommy
    leightonsmommy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 10k on september 2nd.... I'm so nervous!!! I run with a ladies running group twice a week, but I'm terrified of being the last person in, so want to try and do some more sessions (prob on the treadmill when the baby sleeps.....if the baby sleeps....!!) to up my speed. I'm currently up to 8k distance wise, our group leader has said that the training plan we are following gets us to 8k in distance and the first time we actually run 10k is on the day, but ive asked to do it beforehand, as mentally i need to know i have done it/can do it...

Good luck
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 10K on 15 September and am planning on using the B210K app but will check in with you guys too along the way. :-)