Egg yolks. to eat or not to eat??

Options
2»

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Yolk has all the good stuff in it. It's not the place to cut calories.
    The cholesterol isn't absorbed well by the body. Eat the damn yolks.
    ^^^ This,. In fact I ONLY eat the yolks in boiled eggs, I hate whites on their own. Omelettes are another delicious matter.
  • Fit_2013
    Fit_2013 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks and cholesterol has been a debated story for years but I learnt recently that egg yolks contain choline which could prevent breast cancer so now I have them often.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    occasionally i do only whites, but i eat the whole egg if i'm doing boiled or over-easy. like someone else said, unless you have cholesterol problems, you shouldn't have an issue eating whole eggs. they're good for you!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I only eat the whites because I hate yolks and cause I have a cholesterol problem.

If you aren't concerned with cholesterol then eat them if you like.

I think they're icky!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'd personally eat them as I have no family history of cholesterol problems and I feel like that's where all the flavor is. And I don't eat eggs often.

You could just split the difference, 1 white + 1 full egg. That way you get a little flavor but half the cholesterol.

The mayo clinic says that <= four egg yolks per week is okay:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608/
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If you have no problems with cholesterol, why get rid of something that tastes great, but also contains fat and protein??

I have three whole eggs a day and they taste great. If I were to give up the yolk I would have to get through more eggs to get the same amount of protein which would be a waste of money.
  • mielchat
    mielchat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't eat the yolk because it saves calories (two large egg whites for 30-40 compared to two whole for 140) and I'm not a fan of the yolk. The cholesterol in eggs isn't bad for you though, only in really large amounts.