Rules to break

Options
Just read this on yahoo. What does everyone think about it??

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/7-fitness-rules-you-should-break

Replies

• alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Broken link, the proper link is: http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/7-fitness-rules-you-should-break

As far as the article, really nothing new there, I think most here are probably already aware of those theories. I pretty much agree with everything in that article, especially noteworthy is the part about dynamic stretching.
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    link doesn't work?
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Some reason the one I posted will not work. Just use the one that intechpc posted.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'm glad people are finally talking about strength training as a form of fat burning, but I wish they would do a better job of fleshing it out.

This article says "30 minutes of weight training torches as many calories as running at a blistering six-minute-mile pace." What they neglected to mention is that not all weight training techniques were created equal.

Going to the gym and doing 30 minutes of lightweight isolation lifts like biceps curls is not going to burn as much fat as running at a 6-minute-mile pace for half an hour. But doing 30 minutes of heavy, compound lifts like squats and deadlifts ultimately will, in addition to the other health benefits you get from it (stronger muscles and bones, etc.)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Good info. Nothing I hadn't really heard before. I'm also a big fan of dynamic warm ups too. I never "stretch" before a workout.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    "30 minutes of weight training torches as many calories as running at a blistering six-minute-mile pace."

I can run for 30 minutes fairly easily for 4 miles and burn 500 calories. Which weight training routine burns that many in 30 minutes?

I'm not all that big either (male, 173 lbs)
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    "30 minutes of weight training torches as many calories as running at a blistering six-minute-mile pace."

I can run for 30 minutes fairly easily for 4 miles and burn 500 calories. Which weight training routine burns that many in 30 minutes?

I'm not all that big either (male, 173 lbs)

I can't really say whether that is true or false since there's no good way for us to check the calorie burn. I suspect they may be including the elevated calorie burn after lifting that takes longer to wear off than it does from running. Just a guess though.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Their point was that weight training continues to burn calories well after the workout, while running and other forms of cardio do not. But they definitely need to make it more clear that they are talking about heavy, intense weight training sessions and not merely picking up a 5 lb dumbbell, doing curls and kickbacks for half an hour, and calling it a day.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Their point was that weight training continues to burn calories well after the workout, while running and other forms of cardio do not.

Actually, to my knowledge, running and cardio do still up your calorie burn long after the workout ends. Just likely for not as long as weight training.

Just a quick google found this: http://greatist.com/fitness/vigorous-exercises-burns-more-calories/
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The difference in EPOC, afterburn, is not that great. Aerobic work yields a 7% EPOC. Anaerobic, a 14% EPOC. So, assuming you could burn 500 calories in 30 minutes by weight training the difference in afterburn is only 35 calories.

35 calories is equal to about 2 minutes of running or 3 corn chips.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    EPOC is only one aspect of the continuation of calorie burn following a strength training workout. Far more notable is the recovery period over the following 48 hours. If you are truly strength training, your body spends far more energy rebuilding muscle tissue than it does recovering muscle Glycogen levels following cardio vascular activity. Additionally, the increase in muscle mass with repeated strength training also results in higher energy consumption and in simplified terms a higher metabolic resting metabolic rate than one would see from cardiovascular activity.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Their point was that weight training continues to burn calories well after the workout, while running and other forms of cardio do not. But they definitely need to make it more clear that they are talking about heavy, intense weight training sessions and not merely picking up a 5 lb dumbbell, doing curls and kickbacks for half an hour, and calling it a day.

Both compound movement with weights and high intensity CV will both burn calories after you've finished and left the gym. Compound will force your body to repair and build the muscles providing you've worked hard enough and high intensity CV which elevates your heart rate, will also increase your metabolism getting it to tap into your fat for fuel and as long as that is elevated, you'll burn calories which tends to happen after intense exercise, strangely enough.